Cheltenham Festival: Wednesday Races

Grasshopper

Senior Jockey
General blah-de-blah.

Again, it all rather revolves around whether Ballyburn goes here or not. An interesting one at a fancy price (33/1) is Rich Ricci's Mercurey. To date, he has been confined to runs at around the minimum trip, yet only has the Baring Bingham and Bartlett entries. He is basically the same price for both races, and appears to be Willie's 7th or 8th best horse in each, going by the betting, but he has an interesting profile all the same. I've had a small bet at average 57.15 to test the theory, but no massive surprise if he doesn't make the boat. Other than that, I don't have a dog in the fight unless Tullyhill wins on Tuesday and Ballyburn goes here.

I think you need a lot of faith (and I can't muster it) to be taking a thin price about Fact To File here, despite the dogs howling about this one. I took an early double-figure price about Stay Away Fay and happy to go to war with that, given he ran with credit against some genuine 155+ horses at the Trials meeting, and clearly likes the track. Slightly concerned that he might just be a bit boaty for this though.

Not had a bet in the Coral Cup, but considering the Bective Stud pair Hollow Games and Party Central if they go - though the market says the owners have a better fancied pair in Jigoro and Better Days Ahead.

If she was confirmed, I'd probably settle for a small each-way about Maskada, and hope for a battle royale between El Fab and Jonbon. Not convinced we'll get one though, as I'm not altogether convinced that the latter is a better jumper than the former.

No opinion on the Cross-Country other than on the one hand I'd want to field against the front-end of the market, as they're being prepped for Aintree, and on the other, that nothing outside the top half-dozen in the betting that can win it!

Needs a bit of help to get in, but if he makes the field, I have a small each-way (25/1) and a slightly bigger Win bet (38.6) running for me on Hardy Du Seuil.

No idea in the Bumper. Added Jasmin De Vaux into a multi after Naas and that's about it. Will either follow the money, or let the race go - decision will be based on how much drink has been taken to that point.

Last edited:
Wednesday quiet for me. Ballyburn already covered on the Tuesday thread. I have Monty's Star in the BA but Fact to File does slightly reduce enthusiasm. I've probably only backed this horse because of the colours/Monalee connection although tbf the Skelton and Pumpkin horses were shorter in the betting when I placed the wager so there was a certain cohesive thought behind it (The Skelton is a mistake waiting to happen and Pumpkin's is too boaty for this race.)

I'm also on Minella Indo at a nice price in the XC and Captain Guinness (9/1 w/o the fav) in the QM so it's very much a De Bromhead day - might even back Ballyadam in the Coral Cup - one can make a case.

I have two trackers in the Grand Annual - In Excelsis Deo and Path D'aroux, both however are prone to jumping errors and getting too far back. Not ideal for this race. As a Quilixios backer in the Arkle I have to like So Fureur so may back him although he's also in the Plate.

Last edited:
Wednesday my quietest day AP by far and currently returns revolve around Ballyburn (if he runs) and Slade Steel (if he doesn't), Fact to File and You Oughta Know/Fleur Au Fusil in the Bumper.

I've done Stattler 20/1 for the X Country Grassy and so has Yorick.

Also took 50/1 for the National.

I think Ballyburn will run in the BB.

FWIW, Ballyburn had gone a shade odds-on on exchange for the Gallagher, just before they suspended the market for Confirmations.

Last edited:
Slade Steel come right in for the Supreme now too

Still think a lot of this might be guesswork and the rain forecast on Sunday suggests we may well start on Soft ground, which would suggest Ballyburn going Supreme, but maybe the decision is made by then

yeah every race is 48 hr decs now. has been for a few years.

my point with Ballyburn is we'll have a better idea on Sunday morning how the ground might be for Tues/Weds and it may sway Mullins back to the shorter race if it's tipping down on site at 9-10am!

Willie Mullins has firmed up his plans for the Sky Bet Supreme Novices' Hurdle and Gallagher Novices' Hurdle with Ballyburn confirmed for the latter race.

Mystical Power and Tullyhill will headline his team for the Supreme Novices', the opening race of the Cheltenham Festival next Tuesday, with Paul Townend riding the latter, owned by Cheveley Park Stud.

Ballyburn, however, will step up in trip for the 2m5f Gallagher Novices' Hurdle (registered as the Baring Bingham), the opening race on Wednesday.

Mullins told Sporting Life: "Mystical Power will run in the Sky Bet Supreme and Ballyburn, all being well, will run in the Baring Bingham.

"Paul Townend will probably ride Tullyhill in the Supreme."

Some man pays the fee to stay in the Supreme, assuming there was one, Then an hour later says doesn't run there......don't care how much money you have that is nuts

Last edited:
I'm surprised that he's made the decision this early. However, Frank Berry has obviously made a call with Mythical Power and, with the talk of Tullyhill working very well recently, Paul T obviously prefers that one in the Supreme to Ile Atlantique in the Gallagher/BB/Ballymore/Neptune/RSA.

By Flemensfirth out of an Old Vic mare, I can't see Ballyburn lacking for stamina whatever the going. Add that to the fact that the only horse to beat him goes in the Supreme and it seems like a fairly easy decision.

Calling Euro.

A year or so ago you really liked a horse called Sandor Clegane. He ran third in the staying novice hurdle at this meeting last year, (whatever its called now).

Is he an each way bet on Wednesday? Granted, the favourite could be the biggest certainty since death and taxes, but I want to have something each way, and Sandor Clegane can only improve with time in my opinion.

Harry Cobden has chosen to ride Teeshan which is a big plus for me.

According to him and PN thye didn't know which he would ride but believe what you will with PN in charge

I'm surprised that he's made the decision this early. However, Frank Berry has obviously made a call with Mythical Power and, with the talk of Tullyhill working very well recently, Paul T obviously prefers that one in the Supreme to Ile Atlantique in the Gallagher/BB/Ballymore/Neptune/RSA.

By Flemensfirth out of an Old Vic mare, I can't see Ballyburn lacking for stamina whatever the going. Add that to the fact that the only horse to beat him goes in the Supreme and it seems like a fairly easy decision.

Agree with you but the question has to be would you bet him to find out.....

Coral cup.
Zanndabad got in off 117. 4lb out the hcap. A.Martin 33/1 how did he manage to get in.

Coral cup.
Zanndabad got in off 117. 4lb out the hcap. A.Martin 33/1 how did he manage to get in.

Only a 1Lb out with the allowance...3 past winners with a similar dosage. He was doing all his best work at the finish against Afadil...Will relish the ground...16/1 8 places Sybetsthelimit....

Last edited:
I'm looking at Franciscan Rock.

I can't take anything it's done this season that seriously, and he's better than what he's done the past few months. At the end of last season he was third to Gaelic Warrior in a graded novice hurdle. I don't expect many will follow me in, but I think Franciscan Rock could prove to be a massive price.

Last edited:
I'd like them to reduce the prize money for the Ballymore by 1/3rd and add it to the Supreme pot

When the last time it produced a 1st class horse for Mullins. I think we need to go back 20 years to Faugheen

If Ballyburn wins he proves nothing and they will have zero idea if he should go CH or Arkle next year if he beats that field of slow coaches

To be a CH contender Irish or English he should have been able to beat the Supreme field by half the strack

I'd like them to reduce the prize money for the Ballymore by 1/3rd and add it to the Supreme pot

When the last time it produced a 1st class horse for Mullins. I think we need to go back 20 years to Faugheen

If Ballyburn wins he proves nothing and they will have zero idea if he should go CH or Arkle next year if he beats that field of slow coaches

To be a CH contender Irish or English he should have been able to beat the Supreme field by half the strack
Faugheen was 10 years ago and, since then, he's had Yorkhill and Kemboy who have gone on to win G1s over fences.

As said previously, Ballyburn isn't bred for 2 miles. The Turners next year and the Gold Cup the year after looks a reasonable shout if he trains on.

Back