Cheltenham Festival

Guest_

At the Start
How much are people looking forward to the Gold Cup? Obviously the big clash is a race to savour and look forward to but I think the hype (which is natural enough I guess) is getting blown way out of proportion. Hope it does not end in a flop because by the sounds of things from the press this is the make or break race of the Festival. I am looking forward to the Champion Hurdle as much as anything.

For once, the Gold Cup is deserving of the hype imo. It may all end in anti-climax of course (what if one of them comes down at the first?) but that shouldn't stifle the anticipation at this stage.

You couldn't have enough hype for this race. It is a Brucey Bonus on top of a slightly-below-average-looking rest-of-festival. I am sure there will be a few mouth watering performances and races among the rest anyway. There always are.

Originally posted by Bar the Bull@Mar 4 2008, 03:35 PM
I have never looked forward to a horse race more than this year's Gold Cup.

Both Moscow Flyer v. Azertyuiop races came close, but this is a real humdinger.
Same here.

But like the great two milers the worry is one of them will come down and spoil the race.

It`s not all about one race, but i think it`s extra special when the blue riband looks the best race of the meeting - i dont think we`ve had that for awhile.

Every year there is a race that people Really look forward to above all others. Last year for me it was the Champion Hurdle, other years it was The Champion Chase when Moscow was involved. Then there was Best Mates third gold cup. I think it is inevitable that one race will be singled out above all others in a given year. I have to admit though, im not as excited about the novice hurdles or the Arkle as i would be normally.

The hurdles final on the Thursday is surely the race that whets the appetite and gets the juices flowing like no other can :what:

I'm excited but not dramatically so - the fact they're from same stable has diluted the whole thing for me

Looking forward to Champion Hurdle just as much

I'm really looking forward to the Gold Cup, of course.

I think the Stayers Hurdle (world bah humbug!) will be fun too. There are a lot of the old favs in it and it looks like a lot of each way value even if you are positive Iglis will win it again. He is always a pleasure to watch anyway, and although I love many others in the race, (and have backed half the field) he is tough and one that came back from inury - would be great to see him get a third.

Have to say the build up especially on C4 & RUK is over the top. Reminds me of the Ryder Cup build up ie 3rd World War is about to start! And lets hope it does turn into a race to remember for the right reasons & not because one of them falls or is injured or worse. Not really bothered who wins so long as they all come back safe & sound.
Personally I always like the RSA Chase ever since I backed Hussard Collonges at 33/1 :P As this race is followed by the Queen Mum its,for me, when the meeting really starts but thats not to say I don't enjoy Tuesday.
I think the Ryanair is probably one of the most interesting races of the week.Nicholls as won 2 from 3 so be aware of Turko & Sporazene!

I read the Nicholls 'supplement' in the RP at the Wantage Laddies today - useful list of his DEFINITE runners:

TUESDAY
Supreme: Rippling Ring, Pasco
Arkle: Noland, Marodima
Wm Hill: Le Volfoni, Ofarel d'Airy
Cross Country: Royal Auclair, Le Duc

WEDNESDAY
Ballymore: Breedsbreeze
QM Champ Ch: Master Minded and Twist Magic
Bumper: Mahonia

THURSDAY
Jewson: Big Buck's, Arturio
Ryanair: Turko
R Post Pl: Gwanako
Fulke Walwyn KM: Officier Du Reserve
Pertemps: Mobasher

FRIDAY
Triumph: Celestial Halo
Alf Bartlett: The T'Otherone
Foxhunters: Lou Du Moulin Mas
Johnny Hen: Andreas, Saintsaire
Vinc O'Brien: Poquelin

Quite a few others were mentioned eg Ornbais for the RSA, but some were possibles only, and others had not yet had a choice made between engagements

Back