Cheltenham New Years Day

firstpastthepost

At the Start
what do you think of the card ?

looks impressive to me especially with Star De Mohaison back on a track for nearly 400 days and witchita lineman steps up from being a novice and takes on beater horses.

It does look a great card, so I am sort of tempted to go. Is anyone else going from this forum?

Harry, for go some of the booze, you will save some money have less of a hangover and you can blow the saved money at Cheltenham instead. Job done!

Using Hardy Eustace as a yardstick in his last two Ascot races (even bearing in mind the races were different trips) Black Jack should, IMO, fairly easily have the beating of Wichita Lineman, not least at this trip. BJK wanted dropping back in trip and WL appears more effective over further.

To me the race should be a battle between BJK and Afsoun, still pondering on that one at the moment!

yeah i am pondering about Afsoun,backed him twice at cheltenham and on both them race's he got himself worked up and iv noticed his only done that when he is at cheltenham but at 9/4 i think he should be shorter with question marks over black jack ketchum and witchita is a better horse at 3miles.

I'll make a decision around 7 minutes before the race, after I've studied them in the paddock I reckon - and then I'll look at what price each is and go for the wrong one....

what do you think of Bob Hall chances in the 2:10 TURFTV NEW YEAR CHASE HANDICAP i think he might win but the form and rumors of jonjo's yard is making me try and pick something else

As we are talking about a card not race I think this is a crap card compared to the normal new year offering.

I agree TS. I've spent a few hours 'doing' the card and am finding it a lot easier to come up with reasons not to back.

Still, ever the mug, I reckon BJK can win and Oscar park must have a serious chance of holding off SDM. I also think Too Forward might be too long at 20/1.

WL is clearly genuine but surely it wouldnt hurt to put a pair of blinkers or visors on his to help him travel during the race?

BJK was never as good a horse as many thought but its fair to say he is probably not even as good as he genuinely was now as it looks like he has his problems.

Wichita Lineman looked to be the one to take out of the race to me. Back up over a longer trip of course.

Me and BJK are done.

Originally posted by Galileo@Jan 1 2008, 03:42 PM
WL is clearly genuine but surely it wouldnt hurt to put a pair of blinkers or visors on his to help him travel during the race?

BJK was never as good a horse as many thought but its fair to say he is probably not even as good as he genuinely was now as it looks like he has his problems.
You are a master of understatement Aidan .

Compare that with the last time he met Blazing Bailey over course and distance .:(

We will never know how good BJK was as something went wrong between the Relkeel and the Cleeve and has never been anything like the same horse again . I think the evidence is clear now that he was never the same horse rather than any of his runs since the Relkeel accurately reflecting his ability.

Back