Cheltenham -Open Meeting.

LUKE

Senior Jockey
Heading over in a few weeks time-fed
up with the paddywhackery and queues in o Neills-anyone got any recommendations for food and drink.

Have you not been to 21 Club yet?

Food, I like the Langton. It's on London Road but not too far from the course. I'd say a fiver/tenner in a taxi if there are a few of you. Nice bar and restaurant for some food. Kandinski's around the corner from O'Neills is a fav but its been closed for refurbishment for the last 18 months.

21 Club rings a bell.Not going back to Sub Tone again -slipped on a wet stairs there on Friday night last year and hurt my cocyx which is painful and irritating in equal measures.
There is a pub right behind o Neills -might be called The Salisbury which is a right laugh.
Made it to the Montpellier Wine Bar last year on the Sunday and thought it was a good spot.

Sub Tone :eek:

you gotta get yourself to 21 Club. Out the back there's a great outdoor bar, even in winter!! Usual haunt for Gordon Elliott, Colm, Paul Carberry, David Casey and it's where Ruby and McCoy go on Friday of Festival. Great craic and owned by a racing fan. His horse, Secret Tune, led two out in the handicap hurdle in Cheltenham on Sat. Also has another nice horse called Kalamill.

13 is just about bearable as a nightclub and there is one just down the road from 21 Club but I normally pack in in after dancing on the bar in 21 club!!

Good quality Italian in family restaurant on the Promenade - Pirandello. Best to book.
If money no object try the Daffodil - former cinema now done as speakeasy, 20's style, often has good jazz. Definitely need to book- probably now. Not far from the Queens but google it.

Good quality Italian in family restaurant on the Promenade - Pirandello. Best to book.
If money no object try the Daffodil - former cinema now done as speakeasy, 20's style, often has good jazz. Definitely need to book- probably now. Not far from the Queens but google it.

Plenty of decent pubs/restaurants in the Suffolk Square/Montpellier area. The Beehive (Montpellier Villas) an unpretentious favourite with regular Irish racing cognoscenti. Dave Duggan (tit) and Gary O'Brien (not a tit) are occasional visitors, and a number of forumites (including Grey and the much lamented An Capall) can be espied there from time to time. Shadow Leader currently banned for baring her backside after Darkness failed to win the Sun Alliance Chase*. They have a good restaurant upstairs, but I'd recommend most eateries around there - Thai Brasserie, India Lounge, Siam Smile, Armagnac, even Zizzi.

* sadly, this bit isn't true. They still let her in.

Ended up in place last year called the Hideout, or something similar....[the fact I can't remember is probably a hindrance] but it was a terrific spot.

Ten mins or so off the beaten track and, as a result, not manic - but extremely attractive bar girls if that's your thing. [Maybe the description may ring a bell with someone more learned]

Last edited:
Aha, I just figured out that it's The Beehive referred to in the previous post....not the Hideout. Beehive was great banter last year...and nowhere near as nuts as the usual haunts.

Get yourself to Le Champignon Sauvage - great food and not incredibly pricy (for what you get). A lovely restaurant but booking well in advance is almost certainly required.

Taylors in the centre of town is usually heaving, but the huge screens there are usually showing various sports. The Swan at the top of the High Street is a decent pub but the food is lousy.

Last edited:
Taylors in the centre of town is usually heaving, but the huge screens there are usually showing various sports. The Swan at the top of the High Street is a decent pub but the food is lousy.

The High Street needs avoiding like the plague. Sounds like Bobbyjo is indeed talking about the Retreat rather than the Hive, although they're only a wee dander apart.

There isn't much in the High Street anymore, Rory. It used to have the Crown and the Plough, but they have since been appropriated by a shoe shop or knocked down to build the Regent Arcade respectively. All there is really, is the Hogshead - which is horrible enough to walk past, much less walk into.

Montpellier area has always been great for pubs. A friend of mine bought a house near the Eagle Star tower because she would be able to crawl home after a night out in Monte.

If Luke wants to avoid O'Neill's but stay on the Promenade, he need only walk a bit further up to The Rotunda ("The Rot") or cross the road behind for the Montpellier Wine Bar, The Salisbury or The Courtyard.

Just further up the Suffolk Square area is brilliant for places to eat, as you have mentioned. The Spice Lodge is a decent one for those who like Indian food, although the best in town would be The Everest which is on the opposite side of town as you come in from the racecourse.

He we can re-visit this thread next March, I'm losing my festival "virginity" and will be relatively clueless where to eat/drink ect..:o

I think the fact I don't know if I was in the Retreat or Beehive sums up my wellbeing at the time. Quite possibly went to both....the second one was a short walk from the first and was in a residential area. Stayed very very late

Heading up to Liverpool next weekend to take in the Betfair Chase and Becher Day at Aintree. Staying up on the Saturday night with my brother and a couple of mates coming over and was just wondering if anyone knew of any spots worth checking out for pre/post-racing pints.

Only really after a spot that shows ATR/Racing UK and might have a bit of a racing crowd as we'll probably be chasing losses at that stage. Just asking as these types of pubs seem to be in abundance in Ireland but I have found them fairly hard to come by in the UK (Cheltenham aside). We'll be staying in the vicinity of Aintree by the way.

Thomas Rigby is a racing pub, I was in there last year, its near Moorfields station. Next to a totesports as well.

Back