Cheltenham Races The Showcase

Diamond Geezer

Gone But Not Forgotten
First meeting of the season here in Cheltenham next weekend. If you're here for both days and want something to do before hitting the clubs on Friday evening there's an Evening With Gold Cup Winning Jockey Sam Thomas at Newlands Park ( 2 minutes from racecourse heading North towards Bishops Cleeve) starting at 7.30pm. There is also a silent auction of donated lots supporting the Injured Jockeys Fund.

Tickets cost £5 to include a buffet, for more info ring 01242-672752

Interesting field for the 3 mile handicap chase on Friday (listed alphabetically):

Ardaghey (IRE) 9.g

Brooklyn Brownie (IRE) 9.g

Burntoakboy 10.g

Copsale Lad 11.g

Cornish Sett (IRE) 9.g

Dr Hart (IRE) 8.g

Frankie Figg (IRE) 6.g

Fundamentalist (IRE) 10.g

General Striker 8.g

Glasker Mill (IRE) 8.g

Harmony Brig (IRE) 9.g

Hautclan (FR) 9.g

He's The Gaffer (IRE) 8.g

Joe Lively (IRE) 9.g

Newman des Plages (FR) 7.g

Nirvana Swing (FR) 7.g

Noir Et Vert (FR) 7.g

Nor'nor'east (IRE) 10.g

Openide 7.g

Parsons Legacy (IRE) 10.g

The King of Angels (IRE) 6.g

Indian groom has a entry for the Friday meeting, looked to be one to watch after the performance from few weeks ago when beating one of Alan kings highly talented novices.

Just seen the weather forecast for the week. Getting wetter from Monday/Tuesday but dry(ish) for Friday. Hope he doesn't go mad with the hosepipe between now and then!

Going officially "Good ~ watering to maintain"

Actually this is the latest from an hour ago.

Old Course: Good, Watering to Maintain
(GoingStick 7.5 at 11.00am)
Outlook Warm & Dry

Last edited:
very interesting i was at prestbury park the other day and speaking to someone there they said the ground was firm and they will be watering it, so it should be the fast side of good.

Good ground at Cheltenham

Jon Lees

GROUNDSTAFF at Cheltenham finished watering on Wednesday as the going on Old Course was described as good with little prospect of it altering significantly before racing begins on Friday.

Clerk of the course Simon Claisse said: "It is good, on the easy side of, and the outlook is mostly dry with a bit of drizzle. We were forecast 1-2mm today but only had a light shower which wasn't measurable. Tomorrow we could get 0-1mm with temperatures in the low teens."

Front garden (which has similar soil and drainage to racecourse and has been my going guide for the last ahem years) is currently on the firm side of good. 5/6 warm sunny days last week, 3 with fair breeze also. Minimal showers last 2 days with significantly cooler temperatures.

If he has watered to "easy side of good" it should be good by Friday.

Wonder what effect building the football stadium so near will have on the drainage system?

That reminds me of the old one about people judging the going at a racecourse by what the ground is like in the carpark......

Good ground at Cheltenham

Jon Lees

GROUNDSTAFF at Cheltenham finished watering on Wednesday as the going on Old Course was described as good with little prospect of it altering significantly before racing begins on Friday."

went past the course today at about 9.40 am and they had the sprinklers on.

That reminds me of the old one about people judging the going at a racecourse by what the ground is like in the carpark......

Not far wrong at Cheltenham, Shadow!

Either the man is hopelessly optimistic or a lousy judge of ground. Can't quite make my mind up. Seems to be more along the financial line of putting good in the going to make sure everyone turns up.

Christ only knows.

Redhead, it's very interesting that you wouldn't go far wrong judging the Cheltenham ground by the carpark - most of the carpark is concrete!!!! :D

Christ only knows.

Redhead, it's very interesting that you wouldn't go far wrong judging the Cheltenham ground by the carpark - most of the carpark is concrete!!!! :D
The grassy bits around the New Barn Lane entrance are usually a fair reflection!

To be fair though, the ground didnt' seem too bad at all and day 2's rating reflected genuine good. Faster on day 1.

Tongue where it should be Shadow:p

Calculations reflected the official going (for once), which doesn't happen often here. I don't take my ratings literally, just as general indicators of ground and an estimate of ability.

Back