Cheltenham still not certain

Tramore is on.

We had a lot of snow here last night so there must be a serious doubt about Naas's top card going ahead tomorrow.

Covers are off now and they are waiting to see if the frost we still have gets into the ground, final decision in twenty minutes

No happy and obviously most of them don't know what fecking time of year it is. Were they expecting good ground or something? Absolute lemmings.

2.45 Cheltenham - Antonius Caesar

3 wins from 5 starts over hurdles. His hurdle rating might have him out of the handicap, but his chase rating wouldn't.

6/1 to be placed (3 places from 7 runners). Dirty place thief bet.

Bloody freezing and crazy scenes whilst they were inspecting - no feedback to the crowd.

Didnt win anything and it was a lot busier than two years ago!

Whilst I was waiting ......

Cheltenham2010001.jpg

Cheltenham2010002.jpg

Cheltenham2010003.jpg

Last edited:
To me there was far too much jockey/trainer opinion involved in yesterdays decision - or at least that is how it appeared. It is the stewards and clerk of the course who should make the decision amongst themselves and then revert to the trainers etc with their opinion. If you are in that role as a steward/clerk you should not need Nicky Henderson out on the course. Different trainers will have different motives to run and it just makes for a messy affair.

You're right, Ballydoyle, it was a lot busier last year and this year (thankfully not as cold as last). Various firms associated with the track were obviously not prepared for a bumper crowd as Tote and bars were understaffed/stocked.

There were only 6 Tote windows open in the Paddock/Arkle bar area and only 1 on the Members Lawn. A lot of people were angry because they were unable to get on because of the queues. (Thank Heaven for telephone accounts.)

In the Cottage Rake bar the manageress told me that she had been given a 1/2 bottle each of brandy and vodka - and had sold out by 11.30.

It looks as though this is the meeting that the locals will be attending more for the next few years, as the crowd on the Saturday before Christmas was much smaller than last year. Something to do with the recession, maybe?

Back