Cheltenham Sunday

harry

At the Start
The coldest day in 20 years racing for me.
Couldn't stand outside to see any racing.
Frozen to the bone. :eek:

Originally posted by uncle goober@Nov 18 2007, 07:48 PM
Definitely made into my top 20 worst days.

This will be shown at Christmas on Channel 4.
The year Tipping Tim won the Mackeson was worse I reckon.

Have to say I was thinking of you SL as I watched the rain driving across the forecourts there!
And UG and Tracy... looked absolutely foul!

Was anyone at Red Marauder's National? - that looked pretty high on a list of 20 worst ones

Yes I was Headstrong and that was some day too.

Another Aintree day to make the 20 was when Kildimo won the first running of the re-invented Becher Chase in 1992.

Ascot on the Friday of the meeting at the end of November last year was nearly on a par with today as well - only a bit warmer, at least!

Ah yes, camera destruction day, but might not make the 20 on conditions alone. Anymore of this and no ones going to watch my programme!

Originally posted by Headstrong@Nov 18 2007, 10:40 PM

Was anyone at Red Marauder's National? - that looked pretty high on a list of 20 worst ones
That was just good Northern weather Headstrong - aside from the carnage down at the Canal Turn and thinking "there must be so many serious injuries down there" it wasn't too bad - I mean it was tipping it down, sleating etc. and the jeans took 3 days to dry out but it was all good. Remember walking across the course back to the car after Quadco had won the Bumper by a distance and seeing Buck Rogers being led back, saddle-less about 2 hours after the race had gone off.

As for the worst weather - although very brief 2006's Thursday of the National meeting must come pretty close, just for the last race when I'd decided to get the camera out to take some pictures of Amaretto Rose in action - in the end it was raining too heavily and the wind was so strong it was difficult to walk up to the 1f marker, was that bad someone on the train home asked me if I'd just taken a dip in the canal :laughing:

Greenall's National Trial of 1998 was bad too - my first trip to the races, think I saw the Water Jump and Dom Samurai coming through the sleet and hale and not a whole lot else that day. Was freezing cold too :)

Martin

Spot on AC.. about the only person who remembers that day fondly is Andy Leigh!

Never been as miserable on a racecourse in my life...

I challenge you not to have suffered today, AC! The walk to the owners/trainers/press car park, hardly any distance, was utter torture. My face hasn't felt so much pain from the bitterly cold rain and tears were literally running down my face!

It was pretty amazing that after every race everyone kept observing "it's getting worse!" whilst unable to comprehend how it could possibly get worse...

Then we hit the flooded roads before sleet closely followed by snow then blizzards on the drive home!

The worst conditions I can ever remember at a race meet I've attended was Peterborough Chase day when Jair Du Cochet beat Best Mate (it was the day England won The Rugby World Cup).
Never stopped raining all day.

Worst for me was New Years Eve at Leopardstown. It came at the end of a series of postponements, and all the grade 1s were run. Istabraq fell at the last and Moscow Flyer won the re-arrnaged Christmas hurdle.

Honestly, I've never read such a load of whingeing from typical soft NH types. It's only a little bit of water for goodness sake... :P

Now, your serious racegoer attends AW meetings with snow on the ground and watches a race from the stand in the open in a snowstorm - been there, done that and I think it was a seller as well :)

Anyway, all my all-time worst weather experiences are at Lingfield Park. Apart from the snowstorm, I recall one day when the meeting was abandoned due to high winds and another when the cars in the Members car park had to be taken back across the course due to flooding in the tunnel.

Elsewhere, I've had drenching days at Fontwell (Autumn 2000) and Plumpton and I can tell you Salisbury is a bleak place when the rain falls and the wind blows.

I actually enjoyed the rainy Sunday, managed to have my only winning day of the three.

Dickie Johnson made my afaternoon having had a nice ew touch on Kalca.

was bloody cold mind and opted for another night in the B&B rather than head back in it last night.

By the way UG you must have got some nice shots of the Cross Country on Friday. Saw you hiding on the bank waiting for them to go by.

Thought I heard on the Racecourse commentry that the Jocks thought it was the coldest they've ridden in

Originally posted by harry@Nov 19 2007, 09:46 PM
Thought I heard on the Racecourse commentry that the Jocks thought it was the coldest they've ridden in
I stayed outside as long as possible ~ it was absolutely hideous with the strong winds making it biting cold in the constant rain. Hypothermia was a genuine possibility ~ I loved it.

That's not what you said when you started bitching about the inclusion of ice in your large brandy (to warm you up)........

:P

Yep, definately heard Catt on the commentary saying its the coldest some jockeys have EVER ridden in

Back