Cheltenham Tipping Comp

Bar the Bull

At the Start
Somebody organise this please.

I will pony up a prize fund of €100 to the winner for a charity of choice.

I will have to place my bets up here on Monday probably, due to non-horse commitments.

I am indifferent as to the format. Just make it simple.

I'll do one if your like BTB given I will be sat at home most of the week, I may go on Gold Cup day but will be home soon after racing even if I do, so can complete the scoring Friday evening easily enough.

If everyone's happy will put up the rules and relevant threads by Saturday so anyone going for the week can enter before they leave home.

Somebody organise this please.

I will pony up a prize fund of €100 to the winner for a charity of choice.

I will have to place my bets up here on Monday probably, due to non-horse commitments.

I am indifferent as to the format. Just make it simple.

I will match Bar's kind offer - so winner gets €200 to charity of choice

Three very generous offers on the part of Bar, Diamond Geezer and On The Bridle. Great stuff.

Would be great if we could get this sorted as soon as possible as it would be good to be able to fire off an email to all members to maximise participation.

Can I suggest a daily winner to their charity@ say £25 each and £100 to the overall winner subject to more offers of prizes of course :whistle:

Last edited:
Sounds good to me. I don't bet on a regular basis although I've nibbled at a few on a (very) small scale for next week but I like these tipping competitions that cover just a few days, helps to keep people interested I think.

These will be the rules , will post up the daily threads for entries tomorrow.
Maybe a mod could sticky them at the top for the duration.

Rules

One selection each day in each race at the Cheltenham Festival with one of your selections noted as your nap.

Selections must be listed in race order and any list not in race order is void. To make this easy a template of race times will be provided to copy and paste before adding your selections.Reserves if nominated must actually be named, no nominating “the favourite”.

Non Runners can be replaced up to start of the first race, otherwise score 0 points.

Please check here for non runners before placing your selections

http://horses.sportinglife.com/Non_Runners/

Points Scoring

Winner = 12 points
Second = 7 points
Third = 3 points
Fourth = 1 point

Points are scored for second to fourth places regardless of the number of runners and regardless whether the race is a handicap or not.

6/1 SP or bigger= Double Points
12/1 SP or bigger= Triple Points
20/1 SP or bigger= Quadruple Points
33/1 SP or bigger= Points Multiple by Five
66/1 SP or bigger= Points Multiple by Six

One NAP per day = Double any points scored by that selection.

All selections must be in by start of first race each day - ABSOLUTELY NO EXCEPTIONS

The person scoring the most points over the four days will be deemed the overall winner and may nominate the charity of their choice which will receive 100 euros.

In the event of a tie the winner will be decided by a points competition using the same rules based on Saturday’s racing at Uttoxeter.

The person scoring the most points each day may nominate the charity of their choice which will receive 25 euros.

Sounds ridicously complicated!

It's been tried and tested on more than one forum over the years including this one, what's complicated in picking one horse for each race ffs.

Perhaps you'd like to run one then Gearoid, I won't bother seeing as it's so ridiculous, bollox to it.

Most generous of you both, Bar and Bridle !
I'ld like to take meh chance, if I may.
(DG, I have a suspicion that Gearoid was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek and in non-critical "stirring" mode. I do hope you reconsider your decision). :)

Sounds fine to me other than if some participants are away from home (such as Bar's stated in his original post) they might not be able to check/amend non-runners on the day. Just thinking that if you've posted up your selections on the Monday if both your pick and your reserve are NR you're at a bit of a disadvantage which is why people tend to nominate whoever goes off favourite as their reserve if the original selection's a NR.

True imagine, though it's hard to see any fair alternative.

The rules look very fair to me; if others disagree they shouldn't enter. Simple as that.

Thanks for the hard work in setting this up. But to find 27 odd winners for the week before I set off for the course would expend more energy than I could muster. So forgive me if I don't manage it. Wouldn't an amount of money to use up each day on whatever you wanted to be a better reflection? That way those with only a little time could also take part.

It's been tried and tested on more than one forum over the years including this one, what's complicated in picking one horse for each race ffs.

Perhaps you'd like to run one then Gearoid, I won't bother seeing as it's so ridiculous, bollox to it.

I hope you reconsider DG..looks ok to me..please reconsider...;)

come on..its Cheltenham..its a good fair comp..lets play :cool:

Back