Cheltenham train info please?

harry

At the Start
I'm thinking of going to the festival by train this year and I'm wondering how far and how long it takes to walk from Cheltenham Spa train station?

I know there's shuttle services but I can imagine these being quite busy and I don't mind the walk

Is it easy to get a train back to Cardiff or is it manic after racing?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Ta

Shuttle service is a doddle but its about half hour walk. Nice enough walk too through the town

Is definitely manic after racing. Best to stay behind for an hour or so and have another pint before heading into town/to the station

If you want a bite before getting on the train, there's a great old fashioned fish + chip shop by the station with table service. It’s not Michelin stuff, but is a must for me, particularly when compared to the garbage served up on course

For the love of God, do NOT hang around in the Midland Hotel (pub opposite the station) for a drink while waiting for a train.

From memory, it's a pretty attritional walk from station to racecourse, and energy better conserved by catching one of the shuttle buses. Walk back much more pleasant, mulling over a few of the days performances, stopping for a couple of pints on the way.

Thanks everyone, just booked the tickets.

Took me 23 years to make a change to my ritual but really didn't fancy the drive up and down 4 days this year and will enjoy a pint for the first time at a pub on the way.

Rory what's wrong with that pub?

i agree about the fish and chips...really good

but leaving after last race is fine...we always do...

midland hotel is ok...no problems there over the years

Last edited:
I'll be catching the train up from swansea this year,last year no problems whatsoever.standing room only from Bristol parkway last year but it's only half hour to Cheltenham.Had a couple of scoops in the betfair place then caught the bus up there,well worth a fiver.we walked back and it took us about 25 minutes while discussing a savage day for punters.The train station was hectic Fterwards but it was well martialled.

I'll be catching the train up from swansea this year,last year no problems whatsoever.standing room only from Bristol parkway last year but it's only half hour to Cheltenham.Had a couple of scoops in the betfair place then caught the bus up there,well worth a fiver.we walked back and it took us about 25 minutes while discussing a savage day for punters.The train station was hectic Fterwards but it was well martialled.

Thanks....could you get on the train home easy enough?

There was 2 queues fenced off,one for London trains and one for trains going west.The one for London was bedlam and full of prats(the city type).we had no trouble getting on train,think it was around 7 ish though.plenty of room on train back to Bristol parkway.The train every time for me.....Racing post and a couple of Guinness to wash down a very overpriced bacon roll :D

Last edited:
Seven hour journey for me down from Edinburgh to our b&b in Chipping Campden. Stay there every year and love it.

How many days do you go for bigfow?bet it takes some discipline not to get carried away?

Always two days links. This is the first time me and my dad are going to the first two days. It's usually the last two we go down for. The most expensive part I feel is the diesel to get down. Always worth it though.

uote:
Originally Posted by harry

Rory what's wrong with that pub?
Clive drinks there.

Charming. At least ive got mates to drink with unlike 90% of this forum who never get out of their mould infested bedsits unless the police come to look at their computer

Anyway...two better pubs not far from station on way to course Harry. Ill look them up and post

Charming. At least ive got mates to drink with unlike 90% of this forum who never get out of their mould infested bedsits unless the police come to look at their computer

Anyway...two better pubs not far from station on way to course Harry. Ill look them up and post

:lol::lol::lol:

Back