Cheltenham - What the trainers say:

swedish chef

At the Start
David Pipe bids to uphold a proud family tradition at the Cheltenham Festival when he sends out an exciting team from Nicholashayne next week. Our Dave Ord visited Pipe's Devon stables to get the lowdown from the man himself on the likes of Ladbrokes World Hurdle contender Grands Crus

Dan Breen

Dan Breen hasn't done much wrong since going chasing this season - he's a fast, fluent jumper. He won at Sandown last time but was unfortunately disqualified after the placings were reversed with one of Nicky Henderson's. He showed a good attitude that day and jumped well around Sandown which is obviously a tough assignment. Unfortunately the handicapper took a dim view and gave him a rating of 148, which puts him only about 9lbs behind the best novice chasers in the country. His choices are the Arkle and the Grand Annual. I spoke to his owner Stuart Mercer this morning and Tom (Scudamore) schooled him as well and I think we're looking at running him in the Arkle. It could be a smaller field and he likes to front-run and dominate. We schooled him in blinkers today, Tom was very pleased and we think that the blinkers might bring about a few more pounds' improvement and so he looks to be heading for the Arkle with headgear on. He's in cracking form, the dry forecast will suit, and he's a big-priced outsider who should go well.

Great Endeavour

He's in very good form. He's quite a highly-strung horse, but he's been lightly-raced this season. He was slightly disappointing in the Paddy Power but then ran a cracker next time at Cheltenham behind Poquelin over 2m5f. Obviously he won at the Festival last year over that trip. He's in the Gold Cup and the Stewart Spinal Research Chase and we'll be going for the handicap. I think one of Alan King's is staying in near the top so the weights aren't going to rise that much. We've saved him especially for the Cheltenham Festival, he goes on all types of ground and I think the step up to three miles will bring about more improvement. It looks an open handicap and Sunnyhillboy, who finished second behind our fellow at Cheltenham last year, goes for the race as well and I'm sure they'll be more improvement from him stepping up to three miles too. But Great Endeavour is in very good form and we hope he'll run a big race in the three-mile handicap. Obviously his form behind Poquelin is rock solid and I hope he's one of our better chances for next week. He's still lightly-raced and open to improvement, for him we hope the rain keeps away. We hope one day he will make up into a Gold Cup horse.

Trop Fort

As you can see he's not as big as Great Endeavour, but he's only four and he's like a terrier. He's got a great attitude, though he's only run once and unfortunately things didn't go according to plan as he had a nasty fall at Taunton when he looked as though he was booked for second place behind Brampour. The form of that race has worked out very well and obviously Paul Nicholls thinks a lot of Brampour. We like our fellow too. He's raced twice in France and won on the Flat, we fancied him that day at Taunton and it was a shame because he is a good jumper and he didn't deserve to fall. He's taken a long time to come right, he's had a lot of physio and I'm pleased to say he's making great progress. Hopefully he'll get in the Triumph Hurdle. It's still day to day with him. He's schooled since and his schooling doesn't seem to have been affected by his fall. It's not an ideal preparation so we are taking it day by day but if everything goes our way we are hoping to get him to line up in the Triumph Hurdle. He's got a great attitude, keeps galloping and he won't mind the hustle and bustle of the Triumph. We're just hoping he gets a run as I'm sure there'll be a ballot mark if they're over subscribed.

Junior

He's a really good-looking individual. He's a real character - when he first came to us we were very kindly warned that he'd been dropping people on the gallops so we didn't take any chances with him, but we treated him like an individual and he's been very well behaved. He's always been a high-class horse, he was with Brian Meehan on the Flat and won at Royal Ascot for us last year. We hope one day he might make up into a Grand National horse. He's very versatile, he finished third behind Midnight Chase at Cheltenham which is form that has worked out extremely well. We put him back over hurdles last time and finished second to another of ours, Ashkazar, at Cheltenham on New Year's Day. Since then we put him away for the Festival and the plan is to go for the Kim Muir. Jamie Codd rides and he comes over tomorrow to school him and I think he's got a cracking chance. He's quirky but he's got lots of talent and is versatile, and once again he'd be one of our better chances at the Festival next week.

Dynaste

Dynaste's in the EBF Final at Sandown at the weekend and he's in good form with himself. He's got plenty of entries at Cheltenham in the handicaps and the novice races over hurdles. We bought him very cheaply from France, where he was placed a few times. He was second to the well-weighted Aegean Dawn at Cheltenham and then won at Taunton, beating Organisateur. If the ground's on the dry side at Sandown he'll probably go straight to Cheltenham. He's young and has done nothing but improve since he came to us. He's entered in the Pertemps and unfortunately, he was my banker for my father's race but went up 4lbs due to collateral form following his Taunton win and is now rated 142. So we're looking at the Pertemps or the three-mile novice and he's a horse we like a lot. He'll make a smashing chaser next year.

Chartreux

He finished third in the race when Ashkazar was first and Junior was second when we had the 1-2-3 at Cheltenham. He was bought after winning a point-to-point in Ireland and has really grown into himself, he's a man now. He's just had the one run and after Cheltenham we thought we'd put him away for the Festival. He's in the Pertemps, stays all day and the more cut in the ground the better. He's in good form and with Ashkazar going for the World Hurdle the weights are set to go up in the Pertemps. If Knockara Beau runs he'll go off 10-2 or 10-3 - and he'll think he's loose. He's another one who will make a smashing chaser next year. He's unexposed, is very lightly-raced and we are expecting a good performance. He just got tired in the latter stages on January 1 but he's improved since then and this fellow could put in a very good run.

Ashkazar

He's always been a high-class horse. He was 16-1 for the Champion Hurdle a couple of years ago. Obviously he won the Imperial Cup and was then second in the Fred Winter so he's one of my favourites. He's not easy to predict but since we stepped him up to three miles he's improved again. He's completely different to the last few you've seen - he's laid back, doesn't do a lot and Timmy Murphy produced him late at Cheltenham last time. They went a great gallop in soft ground and he stayed really well so there are no issues there. He's still got to improve a bit to beat Big Buck's and Grands Crus but he's a big-priced outsider. Ground isn't an issue for him and he's still young enough to improve, especially with this step up in trip. He's top weight in the Pertemps but the World Hurdle will be his race and hopefully he's a live outsider. We sent him chasing but he didn't take to that so we brought him back over hurdles and he's just a horse that you've got to kid in his races. He's probably too intelligent for his own good but he's always been high-class, bred by the Aga Khan and owned by David Johnson and hopefully he'll run well at Cheltenham next week.

Grands Crus

He's similar to Ashkazar in that he's very laid back and what you see now is what he's like in his box and going down to the gallops. But when you get him on the gallops or in the race he's completely different. It's like he has tunnel vision, he's very keen and you have to try and look after him. Obviously he won very well at Cheltenham in November, he put up a great performance at Haydock a week later and then had to prove himself in graded company off level weights. Obviously we still fancied him that day but it was the manner of his victory that was pretty stunning. He put the race to bed in a matter of strides and after that we got very excited. He's had a very good preparation since, we gave him a break and touch wood all is going well for the World Hurdle next Thursday. Obviously Big Buck's is still the one to beat and we have to improve a bit more, but we're young, he's only six, he's only had eight races in his life and we'll be hoping for a bit of improvement. Obviously we'd like to see a little bit more rain about but Cheltenham will ensure safe ground and if anything it might ride a bit on the dead side - but I don't think it's an excuse. Tom's problem will be trying to settle him in the early stages of the race. He's a very exciting horse and just what Pond House has been looking for since the retirement of Our Vic and Well Chief and horses like that. Tactics will be intriguing, and myself and Tom will be going through that later this week. The World Hurdle isn't just a two-horse race, we thought the Gold Cup was a two-horse race last year. Mourad and Fiveforthree are respected, but hopefully we can come first or second. If we come second we've a cracking novice chaser for next season, but obviously we would still like to win and we hope we can.

Best of the rest

Arrayan is entered in my father's race and the County Hurdle. He's in the Imperial Cup at Sandown on Saturday, though he's not a definite runner in that yet. Notus De La Tour must have a chance in the County Hurdle following his run at Newbury. I'm So Lucky could run in the Champion Chase but he's got to improve. I'msingingtheblues is in the two-and-a-half miler and the Grand Annual, but he'll go for the latter. Buena Vista could run again and it would be his seventh Festival, which would be a feat in itself. We've got him in hurdles, fences, and he put up a good chasing performance earlier in the season. He could run in the Pertemps or my dad's race. I'd say fences are unlikely. Swing Bill put up a cracking performance on Saturday and Timmy says there's a nice race in him, though next week might come a bit too quick for him. Ronaldo Des Mottes could run in the Imperial Cup on Saturday but he misses Cheltenham. We're waiting for Aintree with him. Faasel could run in the Kim Muir again and he's not without a chance. Unfortunately you can't predict what he's going to do! He's very talented on his day and we've freshened him up.

EDIT: Just to credit the piece, it is taken from the David Pipe Cheltenham stable tour on the Sporting Life site.

Last edited by a moderator:
James Ewart

James Ewart will saddle his first runners at the Cheltenham Festival when he runs Aikman and Captain Americo at Prestbury Park next month.

The trainer has held a licence for seven years but he believes this is the first season he has had horses capable of running well at the meeting and stable star Aikman, along with Captain Americo , will be running at the showpiece.

"Aikman has come out of the race very well and I think he now will have the opportunity to go to Cheltenham," he explained.

"He has five entries and the only one he definitely won't run in is the Supreme. I would prefer not run in the two handicaps he's in even though he's now as short as 16-1 for the Coral. He's in the Martin Pipe Handicap as well, but probably his choices will be the Neptune or the Albert Bartlett.

"Captain Americo goes for the National Hunt Chase and is in tip-top form. He was ridden out this morning and is as good as ever.

"Cheltenham is a very special place and you only go there when you believe you have something you have a chance with. I've been training for seven years and we've never had a runner at the Festival. This year we will have two. We are only going there with Aikman and Captain Americo because they truly represent the best chances we've ever have had of a runner with potential to be placed or even possibly win a race."

Paul Nicholls

NEPTUNE COLLONGES (Gold Cup)
Not getting any younger or quicker but twice placed in the Gold Cup and will go for that race again. He was raised 8lb for winning the Argento Chase at Cheltenham so it’s unlikely he’ll go for the Grand National this season.

AL FEROF (Supreme Novices’ Hurdle)
I call him ‘Baby Neptune’. He was second in the Festival Bumper last year and he is very much in the same mould as Noland (the 2006 Supreme winner) in that he is a staying two-miler. He will go for that race as long as it is good to soft ground.

WOOLCOMBE FOLLY (Champion Chase)
One of the most improved horses in training. At the start of the season, I would not have believed he would be one of the shortest priced runners in the Champion Chase but he has only been beaten in one chase.

AITEEN THIRTYTHREE (RSA Chase)
Both Noel Fehily and Nick Scholfield have said he is one of the nicest horses that they have sat on. I am winning my argument with (owner) Paul Barber to let him run in the RSA. After winning at Newbury, the handicapper has put him up to a rating of 159 which is 8lb higher than Denman was rated when he won the RSA Chase. He is also only 2lb behind RSA favourite Time For Rupert which makes it very interesting.

GHIZAO (Arkle Chase)
Our best chance of a winner on the opening day (Tuesday) of the Festival. Likes some give in the ground but does not want it testing. Jumps well and looks to have an outstanding chance.

BRAMPOUR (Triumph Hurdle)
I like to leave a lot to work on with the horses I get off the Flat and this one has progressed and progressed since making his jumping debut. He will be suited by the fast pace of the Triumph.

SAM WINNER (Triumph)
He’s the opposite to Brampour physically and is a chaser in the making. I should not have run him at Chepstow on heavy ground at Christmas as he did not act on it. You’ll see a totally different horse at Cheltenham.

PEPE SIMO (Grand Annual Case)
He has an entry in the Arkle Chase but the Grand Annual should suit him down to the ground.

POQUELIN (Ryanair Chase)
He was second in the race last year. He wants good ground but I am very happy with him and the New Course at Cheltenham suits him well.

FISTRAL BEACH
Was finishing second too often for my liking last season so had a breathing operation and it has improved his confidence. Goes for the Racing Post Chase at Kempton on Saturday and has three mile and two and a half mile options at Cheltenham.

JOIN TOGETHER (Albert Bartlett Novices’ Hurdle)
A winning point-to-pointer who, with a positive ride, would have an outside chance.

MASTER MINDED (Champion Chase)
Has won the race twice before but had a few little problems last season. Not at his best when he won at Ascot in January but I had built him up in the autumn and then backed off him. You don’t have to be at your best in the middle of January and I think he is still he one to beat.

BIG BUCK’S (World Hurdle)
Had not had a hard race for a while and, as I don’t want go to Cheltenham undercooked, he had a racecourse gallop on Sunday. Grands Crus is a very good horse but still has him to beat. If he does beat him, I can try to persuade owner Andy Stewart to go back chasing, otherwise he can stick to hurdling.

DENMAN (Gold Cup)
Even though he finished third in the Hennessy Gold Cup and everyone thought he ran really well, for me, he was just not finishing off his races as well as he should. That’s why he has had a small breathing operation in the hope he will find a few pounds of improvement and make it a bit easier for him. There are younger horses about but I still think him, Kauto Star and Imperial Commander are the ones to beat in the Gold Cup.

KAUTO STAR (Gold Cup)
He’s back in good shape. If he hadn’t made a bad mistake he would have beaten Riverside Theatre in the King George and finished second which is not a bad run in a Grade One. I think we can forgive him one iffy run. We will hopefully give him a racecourse gallop which is something different this year. We are really looking forward to running him.

Cheltenham Festival 2011: The Big Chances from The Big Stables

Posted by Matt Bisogno on March 9, 2011
Our roving reporter gives you the low down on the chances of the Alan King, Paul Nicholls, Nicky Henderson and Nigel Twiston-Davies stables at Cheltenham – direct from the trainers themselves.

Alan King surveys his horses
ALAN KING
Nothing is ever normal when you get the chance to visit leading trainer Alan King at his frankly stunning stables, be that the heavy snow we suffered last year, or the pea soup fog we encountered this year, leaving half the journalists driving around in circles looking for the yard.
Still, turn up we did, and after a cup of coffee and a Danish pastry (even us scribes have to eat now and again), we were wheeled outside to go through the stable’s Cheltenham hopefuls who were paraded before us in the faux pre-parade ring (no stone left unturned here, I assure you).
First things first, and I have to admit I felt a little less enthusiasm from both connections and the media throng regarding this year’s contenders compared to last year, but then hopes were unrealistically high in 2010 and the top class novices have it all to do if they are to raise their game to the Championship events. Anyway, my opinions are not what this is all about, so on to the horses themselves and an assessment of their chances…….though I have cherry picked those the trainer seemed most enthusiastic about!

RAVETHEBRAVE
A 20/1 shot for the Centenary Novices Handicap Chase he could be a bit of a dark horse if he gets into the race. His trainer described him as a very nice horse but with a wry smile on his face suggesting we may not have seen the best of this seven year old who was last seen when runner up to Carrickmines at Kempton.
The general consensus was that he could be reasonably handicapped and if everything goes his way he has chances of making the frame.

MEDERMIT
Although I normally like to look for the darker horses, where the handler’s body language betrays his real thoughts, in the case of this novice chaser Alan King made it pretty clear he felt this one was his best chance of Festival success.
Due to run in the Arkle Chase on Tuesday, and a very good hurdler rated as highly as 164 over the smaller obstacles, he won his first chase at Aintree by a distance, before blotting his copybook when refusing at Huntingdon.
A win at Plumpton was followed by second place over too far at Cheltenham and a “hanging on” victory over the same two miles five furlongs at Sandown.
Dropping back to two miles in a fast run race for the Arkle is seen as ideal and although 9/2 is not great value in my book, his trainer seemed pretty bullish, so what do I know?

JETNOVA
A six year old son of Luso, he is doubly declared for both the Albert Bartlett Novice Hurdle and the Martin Pipe Conditions Jockeys Handicap hurdle on the Friday with preference for the first named for which he is priced at 50/1!
After three victories, two at Plumpton and when last seen at Warwick, he will need to improve considerably to get in the shake up, but his trainer warned us all not to underestimate him, and given good ground he could run a lot better than his current price suggests.

OH CRICK
Only entered in the Johnny Henderson Grand Annual Chase (the last race on Friday), this eight year old may have a better chance than his 14/1 price implies.
He was last seen when third behind both Cornas and Tchico Polos at Sandown in early January and has been deliberately kept off the track to avoid a rise in his handicap mark.
I have to say that body language suggested he may be a bit better than that and he is now considered back to his very best, and given decent ground at the Festival he goes there with every chance. He is a former Festival winner.

HABBIE SIMPSON
The general consensus was that this six year old will have it all to do if Bobs Worth turns up for the Neptune Investment Novice Hurdle but that is still his likely target and he could make it in to the frame.
40/1 is a big price for a horse with room for a lot more improvement, and there will be a few worse each way bets in the race at that sort of price according to the glint in his trainer’s eye!

SMAD PLACE
Considering his form was pretty lacklustre in his native France, King has done a decent job getting him in to a position to even run in the Triumph Hurdle on the Friday where I got the feeling he is seen as the stable number one of three entries.
Fast ground would be seen as a problem, but if the ground is good or softer he is not without chances. His run when third at Chepstow needs to be ignored as he needed it, but he put the record straight last time out at Wincanton with a cheeky victory and has improved again in his work at home since.
12/1 is his current price for Cheltenham which is not exactly generous on what he has achieved so far, but he is thought capable of getting in the firing line for one of the toughest races to call of the entire week of Cheltenham.
Conclusions:
Overall, I just got the feeling that Alan King was nowhere near as confident this year as he was last about his Cheltenham chances and will be happy to come away with a couple of winners (as will I lol). However, they are much better priced overall and anyone thinking about a few each way bets could do a lot worse than consider some of the horses mentioned in their multiple bets.

Paul Nicholls at his Ditcheat stables
PAUL NICHOLLS
As Cheltenham approaches us lucky hacks get reminded just how close the greatest racing of the year actually is, with an invite to the more powerful yards to discuss their chances, and on Monday I drove all the way to deepest darkest Somerset for a chat with Champion trainer, Paul Nicholls.
Paul is a master of his trade who retired from the saddle after riding 1230 winners and quickly made his mark at the training game. He now has over 140 horses in training and sits in fifth place on the all time list for the most winners at the Cheltenham Festival, with only Nicky Henderson ahead of him of those still plying their trade. His ability to target the right horses at the right races and to have them at their peak for March has seen him snaffle the leading trainer award at the Festival in 1999, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009, before losing his title to (you guessed it) Nicky Henderson last year, but that will only make him all the more determined to win it back in 2011.
First things first, and I could just cut and paste the other articles already written by other journalists who went on the visit, but then again they seem to listen but don’t seem to hear, and I assure you my article is based on reading between the lines added to a touch of body language as well as the bare facts as stated, so if you want to make this Cheltenham a profitable one (never an easy task), then I suggest you keep on the right side of the following horses:

BRAMPOUR
There are certainly worse 16/1 shots for the Triumph Hurdle and his trainer seemed pretty sweet on his chances despite his tempting price. Handled by Jean-Claude Rouget on the flat in France, he was placed in a Listed race at Deauville which is decent form, and given good jumping ground at Cheltenham he would go there with every chance.
His last run saw him win readily enough at Taunton and with Paul Nicholls admitting he had left plenty to work on that day, we should not take the form too literally as he is no doubt considerably better than we have seen on the track so far.

AITEEN THIRTYTHREE
If one horse stood out as the strongest fancy of the week then this novice chaser was clearly the one. He has won both his races over fences by no less than seventeen lengths and FIFTY lengths so clearly has an engine, and there was no disguising the enthusiasm of his trainer over his chances in the RSA Chase over three miles.
Jockey Noel Fehily apparently described him as one of the nicest horses he has ever sat on and barring an accident, he ought to be there or thereabouts on the day, making the 10/1 look excellent each way value.

GHIZAO
The Arkle chase is never an easy race to win but I have to tell you that this seven year old has an “outstanding chance”, and with those words coming from the Champion trainer, you have to sit up and take notice.
In what looks likely to be a cracking renewal as always, this son of Tiger Hill who is flat-bred and thus retains plenty of speed also jumps like a stag, as witnessed by bloodless victories at Cheltenham and Chepstow. He does seem to have that enviable combination of speed and stamina which will serve him well and at 9/2 the choice is yours.

MASTER MINDED
A bit more on the obvious side with this eight year old who seems to have been around forever and has already won twenty-three races and over a million pounds in prize money.
He has already won the Queen Mother Champion Chase not once but twice, in 2008 and 2009 but ran below par last year when “only” fourth to Big Zeb.
BUT… he has had a breathing operation and is now looking an absolute picture and ready to try to reclaim his crown. Provided he can be kept back for one winning run, he goes to Prestbury Park with an outstanding chance and I could not fail to see the sparkle in his trainer’s eye when talking about his chances.

BIG BUCKS
Officially rated the best horse in training, he just goes from strength to strength and looks to me to be the banker of the entire meeting even at the current price of 11/10.
Although the racing press, ably assisted by the bookmakers try hard to talk up the chances of the fast improving David Pipe-trained Grands Crus, beauty is as beauty does and ten consecutive victories including the World Hurdle in both 2009 and 2010 tells its own story, and as he is yet to be off the bridle in all those races a good fight may be just what he needs to bring out the best in him and show us just how good he really is.

AL FEROF
I admit it, I “ummed and aahed” about whether to include this six year old who ran a blinder when runner up to Cue Card in last year’s bumper but has failed to impress me over hurdles.
He has won his last two races by wide margins and his trainer insists a fast run two miles in the Supreme Novices will bring out the best in him and as he travels well tactics will not be a problem, and if Mr Nicholls thinks he is good enough to go close, who am I to argue?
At 16/1 he is certainly an each way price as I write, and being a striking grey he will be easy to spot during the race, while the expected good ground will also apparently play to his strengths and he has to be considered.

CHELTENHAM GOLD CUP
What is there to say? Paul Nicholls is lucky enough to have both DENMAN and KAUTO STAR in his yard, as well as NEPTUNE COLLONGES, who is a lively outsider for the Cheltenham Gold Cup, the biggest race of the jumping year.
Both the first two have won the race before (twice in the case of Kauto Star) and both go back with chances despite their advancing years, but even their trainer struggled to choose between them.
If pressed, I felt he might have leant fractionally toward KAUTO STAR, though not with any real conviction.
Conclusions:
One thing I have learnt is to never write off Paul Nicholls and his horses and although I have felt all season his horses have not been quite 100%, if anyone can get them to the Festival at their peak the Champion trainer can.
He has riches in abundance as you have already read and will undoubtedly win races during the week while all eyes will be waiting to see if there is one more Gold Cup in either Kauto Star or Denman. Once again, I will sit on the fence and leave you to make your own decisions betting wise, but there are plenty of hints above and some decent prices to boot.

Nicky Henderson looks relaxed with his Cheltenham prospects
NICKY HENDERSON
Having been lucky enough to visit three of the most respected trainers in the world of National Hunt racing in the past seven days, it is hard to favour one over the other, though it is glaringly obvious that they all have different attributes and styles, be that with the horses or with the media that frankly they seem forced to deal with.
As a genuine horse racing anorak of many years, I feel privileged to meet both the handlers and the horses who have such an influence on my life, but Nicky must be the most laid back, polite and self assured of them all, but then maybe that is because he has been there, done that and got the T-shirt, and knows full well he has nothing left to prove to himself or anyone else.
I am convinced that his relaxed manner passes on to the horses and you should see how at ease he is with them at all times – truly a master horseman, but which horses does he think have the best chances at this year’s Cheltenham Festival?
With a long list of horses paraded in front of us, enthusiastically picking a few to follow was no easy task, but as is my wont, I like to read between the lines, and give you a little something extra that the other hacks may have missed, so do read on……

BOBS WORTH
Hopefully, stable companion Mossley will head for the Neptune Investment Novice Hurdle in which case he has a very good.
He may have finished runner up on his debut in a Kempton bumper but has not looked back since with four clear-cut wins where he has always looked to have plenty left in the tank. He is in good order at home, and jockey Barry Geraghty rates his chances, which is more than good enough for me!

MOSSLEY
More of a dark horse than most from the stable (they have had so many winners this season that very few go unbacked), this five year old gelding had done nothing wrong in winning his bumper at Worcester and following up over hurdles at Huntingdon and Cheltenham
That was before the wheels fell of at Warwick, where he hated the heavy going. Decent ground seems more likely at Cheltenham which will suit him perfectly and as he is better suited by three miles than any less, the Albert Bartlett is his most realistic target. It would seem the bookmakers think differently (and they could be right) as they have priced him up at 25/1 which for a horse with the sort of engine he clearly has does seem generous, and is worth serious consideration.

A MEDIA LUZ
I notice the trainer kept coming back to this four year old filly, and he seems pretty certain she is as lot better than her bare form implies. One win from four starts have hardly set the racing world alight though she did look in the process of winning at Kempton when falling two out.
Her handler does not consider her likely to be well handicapped in the Fred Winter so she will most likely head to the Triumph Hurdle instead where he odds of 12/1 are not exactly generous on what she has achieved and seem more down to the success of her trainer?

SPRINTER SACRE
There was just no getting away from how much his handler likes this five year old who is considered to have the brightest of futures, though whether we have to wait for him to go over fences to see the real deal is a moot point. Over hurdles he has been exemplary once dropped back to two miles, and if he goes for the Supreme Novices he has an each way chance
Though with Cue Card , Al Ferof and stablemate Spirit Son in opposition, winning could be beyond him I am sorry to say, though next year I fully expect him to win the Arkle in a hack canter.
[Matt says, that is one of the boldest statements I’ve seen in.. well, ever... I considered editing it out but thought I’d leave it in so you can make your own minds up!]

CAROLE’S LEGACY
No one but an idiot (or journalist?) could expect to find the winner of the Stewart Family Spinal Reseach Handicap Chase, but the Henderson camp do feel that this mare is well in over fences in comparison to if she reverts to hurdles.
Equally adept over both, this will almost certainly be her last season before retirement to the breeding paddocks where I wish her well, though if she could sign off with victory here all the better.
A 25/1 shot for the race, her astute hander thinks she has a decent chance which is good enough for me and she is another that should not be ignored for any silly bets!

FINIAN’S RAINBOW
Well the Arkle Chase looks like it is turning in to the race of the meeting according to my trainer interviews with all the big yards feeling they have the leading contender.
Nicky Henderson is no exception and he was pretty enthusiastic about the chances of this eight year old who was over enthusiastic when last seen at Warwick, but that was all part of his learning process.
A pretty decent hurdler he is already even better over the larger obstacles and connections have now proved he can make the running if needed or sit in behind, so tactically he is pretty flexible which has to be a bonus. He is certainly built like a chaser unlike some of his market rivals and if he can get round without too many errors the 9/2 could look good in running.

AEGEAN DAWN
Interestingly, this unbeaten gelding was virtually glossed over at first by the trainer, but a quick chat with the stable staff gave him as their idea of the banker! Digging for more info, it seems they feel he is good enough that he may well win the Coral Cup (10/1) and then run again in the County Hurdle (14/1), which although unlikely, does show they think he can win the first with ease so get on while you can.

LONG RUN
Although Nicky did describe this six year old as his best chance yet of winning a Gold Cup, I have to be honest and say that he did not seem as enthusiastic as you may have read elsewhere.
He is a very promising horse as seen when he ran away with the King George at Kempton and if he can repeat that form he must have an outstanding chance but I do feel he is prone to the odd jumping error and whether he can get away with that against the big guns in the biggest race of the season we will have to wait and see.
Conclusions
So, as we can all see, Henderson certainly has a strong hand to go to war at Cheltenham with, and I hope my little insights point you in the direction of a winner or two, but we will all see come the end of the battle with the bookmakers in mid March!

Nigel Twiston-Davies has his team spot on for the Cheltenham Festival 2011
NIGEL TWISTON-DAVIES
First things first, and I had never been to the Twiston-Davies yard before, so must have looked like a wide eyed novice when all us journo’s piled on to a big green double decker bus when we first arrived for a coffee and a Danish.
Surreal as that was, the fact that we ten drove off to the gallops with the trainer himself driving the bus made me wonder what I had been drinking, but then eccentricity has always been the British way and long may that continue.
Arriving at the gallops about two minutes later (we could have walked, but then where is the fun in that?), the Gold Cup winning trainer was miked up which at least made it possible for us hacks to hear every word that was said without clambering over each other to do so!
As a string of horses walked past us led, of course, by Gold Cup winner Imperial Commander, their trainer read out a list of names a little too quickly for my liking but as they returned back up the hill at speed in the same order not once but three times, even I managed to catch up.
Working out who looked well and who didn’t in the bitter cold and at less than half speed was beyond us all so we waited and listened to the wise words of a trainer I still feel is underestimated by the majority of the racing press and punters alike, which spells the chance of a spot of value to me?

Imperial Commander
Might as well start with the top of the tree and there is no hiding his trainer’s enthusiasm for his chances of a repeat in the Gold Cup. Still relatively young at the age of ten (well, in comparison to eleven year olds Denman and Kauto Star), he has had a gentle season with this his main if not only target for 2011.
One run saw him win well enough at Haydock, and the fact that he failed to make the King George line could yet be a blessing in disguise as he comes here fresh and well after some impressive racecourse gallops.
His trainer feels the younger generation have it all to prove (and let’s face it. Long Run is currently rated a massive thirteen pounds his inferior), and is more worried about the old guard (back to Kauto Star and Denman then), if anything can take his crown.
My only concern is his lack of race fitness for the most important chase of the year, but if he arrives 100%, then he must have every chance and has done precious little wrong that I can see.

Baby Run
I am starting with the “top three” horses that as you will see from the photo, are hardly unknown dark horses. Hardly a newcomer at the age of eleven, Baby Run has looked better than ever this season with two good wins at Wetherby and Haydock, with one on good to soft ground and one on heavy, so all ground seems to come alike to this son of Baby Turk.
He will be ridden in the Foxhunters by Will Twiston-Davies who looks like a real talent like brother, Sam, but more importantly he gets the day-to-day contact with his mount unlike a lot of the other riders.

Khyber Kim
A bit of a forgotten horse here, current quoted at 20/1 for the Champion Hurdle and certainly an each way option. His trainer was clearly delighted with his wellbeing ahead of the big race and had a beaming smile when discussing his chances.
He was second in the race last year at odds of 7/1 (20/1 this year may seem like value), and is another deliberately lightly raced to make sure he is as his peak when it matters. Two runs this season have seen victory at Aintree over two and a half miles before a slightly below par effort when hitting the last at Kempton when already beaten.
Whether he can turn round the form with Binocular is a big ask but that rival can run a bit in and out and back on a track that will bring his stamina in to play up the hill he has a fair chance and may be overpriced for the each way thieves.

Oscar Magic
There is no disguising the competitiveness of the Champion Bumper this year as always but neither can I hide the regard Nigel has for this four-year-old son of (you guessed it), Oscar.
His problem could be his inexperience as he has only had the one run when winning at Kempton without really impressing, but it would appear he is a lot better than that at home and has improved a bundle for that run.
On the form book, he could win or finish last (it is that sort of race), but all I can tell you is his trainer likes him a lot, which may tell more than the form book at the end of the day?

Sybarite
If there is a really dark horse worth considering, then this five year old could be the one. Away from the stable stars we all expected to see, this is the one horse Nigel likes above all others, and although a hurdler at present, he sees him as a future Gold Cup contender.
Where that leaves his chances in the Albert Bartlett is a whole new question, but he must have a serious engine to be talked of in such terms, in which case the 20/1 is sorely tempting even if it is to very small stakes.

Kayf Aramis
Last, but by no means least, Kayf Aramis got more than a passing mention even though a look through the formbook writes him off as far as I am concerned.
He has not won a race of any kind since May 2009 which would worry any punter, but he did win the Pertemps Handicap Final at the Festival the same year and finished fifth last year as well.
Slowly slipping down the handicap, he races off a mark of 142 this year, seven pounds less than last season which in theory could put him in the first four, but more importantly he is only just coming back to his best at home and I may have even talked myself in to have a bet

AITEEN THIRTYTHREE (RSA Chase): “He has always been the apple of our eye but was very backward last year. Only rated 120 over hurdles this time last year, he has benefited from time and improved enormously. Even after he won at Newbury in November, he was suffering with sore shins but he has progressed all season and I think he has an outstanding chance in the RSA Chase. I know Phil Smith, the senior chase handicapper, rates him highly and he told me this horse is eight pounds higher than Denman was before he won the RSA Chase. This time next year, I am hoping we will be talking about him as a Gold Cup contender. I backed him in November for next season’s Hennessy Gold Cup at 33/1.”

AL FEROF (Supreme or Neptune Investments Novice Hurdle): “Runner in the Festival bumper last year having run quite free, he is improving all the time and reminds me a lot of Noland before he won the Supreme Novice Hurdle. I am convinced he would have won at Cheltenham on his hurdles debut but for falling at the second last. We then ran him in the Challow Hurdle at Newbury but he was too free and didn’t get home. He also found the ground too soft. He has won easily at Taunton and Newbury since and, even though he works like a four mile horse at home, he is much sharper on the track. I am expecting him to make a lovely novice chaser next season but I think he has an each-way chance in the Supreme.”

BIG BUCK’S (World Hurdle): “It looks a much stronger race than last year and Grands Crus has looked very good this season. However, Big Buck’s looks as fit and well as he has ever done and I think he will be hard to beat. The better the race, the better he is and Ruby (Walsh) sent me a text after Grands Crus won the Cleeve Hurdle saying he will give us a nice lead until the last.”

BRAMPOUR (Triumph Hurdle): “A useful horse on the Flat in France, he was bought very much as a hurdler rather than a future chaser but was too free when he ran first time for us at Kempton. However, the improvement he has made since has been phenomenal and he enjoyed the strong gallop at Taunton last time and stayed on strongly. He has progressed again since and I think he will come into his own on better ground at Cheltenham. Next year, he will make a smart hurdler over two or even two and a half miles.”

DENMAN (Gold Cup): “This will be his sixth consecutive Festival and he looks fantastic in his coat. I feel he is in as good a form as he has been for a few years. He ran extremely well under a big weight in the Hennessy and, four days after the race, he had a soft palate operation. There is no doubt he is better in his wind now and he worked well with Big Buck’s in a racecourse gallop at Wincanton recently. He heads to Cheltenham with a very good shout.”

GHIZAO (Arkle): “He was struggling with his wind last season and was choking. We operated on him during the summer and he is a different horse. He wasn’t ready to run at Cheltenham in October but Andy (Stewart) and David (Johnson) were keen for him to run and he finished second. Impressive next time at Cheltenham in November, he then conceded ten pounds to Captain Chris and beat him nearly five lengths at Newbury after Christmas. We purposely gave him a break after that and he goes to Cheltenham with an outstanding chance in the Arkle. He did a great piece of work with Poquelin at Wincanton last weekend (20th February) and I think he will be one of the favourites for the Queen Mother Champion Chase next season”.

KAUTO STAR (Gold Cup): “He is in great order and looks very well in his coat. There is no doubt he didn’t run to his best in the King George and had a cold afterwards but he would almost certainly have finished a good second but for the mistake at the penultimate fence. I was delighted with the way he worked with Master Minded last Friday (24th February) and, even though he is an eleven year old, I feel he goes to Cheltenham with a great chance. It is one of the most open Gold Cups for many years and I am expecting him to run a big race. The plan is to continue with him next season provided he is still enjoying it.”

MASTER MINDED (Queen Mother): “Unbeaten in three runs this season, he had a breathing operation during the summer and it has made such a difference. He didn’t come off the bridle to win at Ascot on his reappearance and followed up in the rearranged Tingle Creek at Cheltenham. We didn’t see the best of him at Ascot last time even though he won because our horses aren’t usually at their peak in January. He has had a break since and did a fantastic piece of work last Friday (25th February) and he must be one of the naps of the week.”

POQUELIN (Ryanair): “Produced a career best to win the Vote A.P. Gold Cup at Cheltenham in December off a mark of 163. The key to him is to not overdo him and keep him fresh. He was runner-up in the race last year and has been prepared for it again ever since. He really enjoys the new track at Cheltenham but wouldn’t want the ground too soft. He worked well with Ghizao at Wincanton last week and must be one of our leading chances at the Festival.”

ROBINSON COLLONGES (Jewson Novice Chase): “The forgotten horse of the race, he was running all over Wishfull Thinking when falling at the third last in the Rising Stars Novice Chase at Wincanton in November. We have always thought a lot of him and he was travelling as well as Poquelin at Cheltenham last time when making a mistake at the third last. Noel (Fehily) left him alone after that and we have given him a good break. He is fresh and well and I am expecting him to go close.”

SAM WINNER (Supreme or Triumph Hurdle): “He won his first two starts for us at Cheltenham including when beating Grandouet by fifteen lengths in November. I then made a huge mistake running him in the Finale Hurdle at Chepstow over Christmas – it was too soft. He is not a flashy worker but we have done a lot with him since and we will decide which race to run him in. I think he will make a cracking chaser next season but I am anticipating a big run at the Festival in whichever race he lines up in.”

WOOLCOMBE FOLLY (Queen Mother): “One of the most improved horses in training, his only defeat over fences came in the Arkle last season. Having won in a quick time at Ascot on his reappearance, he followed up at Cheltenham in December under top weight and has astounded me. Decent ground is crucial to him though. We intended running him in the Game Spirit Chase at Newbury but he had a minor hiccup which required antibiotics. Clearly, he needs to improve again to beat the likes of Master Minded in the Champion Chase but, granted good ground, he has a definite chance.”

ZARKANDAR (Triumph Hurdle): “I liked him when I saw him with Anthony Bromley at the Aga Khan’s in France during the summer but he was badly behaved and very colty when he first arrived. We gelded him immediately and it took him some time to get over it. Temperament wise, he is a different horse now though and I thought he won well at Kempton in the Adonis Hurdle. I expect him to improve a lot for that and he goes to Cheltenham for the Triumph with a leading chance.”

NAPS:
Anthony Bromley Paul Nicholls Dan Skelton

Tuesday: Cue Card / Menorah Ghizao Aigle D’Or
Wednesday: Oscars Well Master Minded Master Minded
Thursday: Big Buck’s Big Buck’s Poquelin
Friday: Long Run Denman (e/w) Join Together

Last edited:
Paul Webber

Touching all the wood available, all is calm around here, but I hardly dare to write these words for fear of arousing the slumbering fates! Time For Rupert worked very nicely at Compton last friday and he and Will Kennedy had an excellent lesson from Yogi Breisner yesterday. Due to a sharp -3° frost, it was not possible to school him on the grass, but he'll jump some fences on friday morning.
I feel his preparation has gone well and that we have done enough with him to compensate for missing his third run around the Cheltenham fences, in the Argento Chase at the end of January. Obviously a further run would have been ideal, but he could have had a very hard race there, against such a tough experienced horse as Neptune Collonges. We have to believe in what we know and what we see; there are some very experienced eyes around here besides mine, those of Trevor, Jerry and Danny. who all seem to be happy.
The rest of the Cheltenham Team are extremely well. Alasi looks very well and with the ground drying, has a far better chance in The David Nicholdon Mare’s Hurdle than her present price suggests. Sarando worked very easily on the all-weather yesterday, but will need eleven horse to come out of The Centenary Novice Handicap Chase for him to get a run. Edgbriar worked on the grass at his owner David Allen's lovely Edgcote grass gallop yesterday and must have an increasing chance in The Byrne Group Plate, as the ground dries. Cantlow keeps on improving and may well take his chance in The Albert Bartlett Novice Hurdle.

Jesus who's the prick hosting it? Does he think the Bumper's over obstacles?

Only got as far as the Arkle so far but some interesting points:

Supreme Novices

Spirit Son did the fastest bit of work on the Farringdon gallop Nicky Henderson and ever seen.

Sam Winner the best of Nicholls and in really good order and Ruby wants to go for this:

Cue Card better than Dunguib last year but jockey may be a liability.

The Champion Hurdle

Binocular- panel arguing if he was sent to Mastertown in Ireland this year but apparently work very well last week.

Thousand Stars possibly in the race to make the pace as well as Overturn

Most think Townend will get the ride on Hurricane Fly

Race of the festival everyone picking a different horse. None keen on HF

Arkle

J P Mcmanus has backed Rock Noir
Ruby doesn’t want to ride Ghizao apparently Timmy Murphy on
Finians Rainbow can’t jump
Medermit – Alan King thinks this is one of his best chances
Paul Nicholls – Ghizao the one to beat
Blazing Tempo should be backed nrnb and laid off if she runs as Ruby may ride.

Back