Cheltenham

Marb

Journeyman
Arkle - JPR One is still progressing and he knows this track. He can be forgiven for slipping on landing when in front a few months ago here. It was Shishkiness-like in terms of unluckiness. I think JPR One will go the gallop they go here for a long while. Whether he's tough enough at the end remains to be seen. But he has a good chance and I'll take him in the Arkle.

Ultima - I haven't made my mind up yet, but I am paying more attention to novices in the handicaps this year. My logic is this. I think there's more chance a horse is well treated if he's had 2 or 3 runs, than something that's run 60 times over fences that's slipping down the ratings. There's a few lightly raced horses at the head of the market, but they are plenty short enough in the Ultima, so until I settle on one of them, I'm hoping Excello makes the cut. He's only had two starts over fences over here, but falls into the could be anything category. Plus he's from the type of stable who could pull this off in Nicky Henderson.

The Plate. I like Crebilly for this. His form is there in the book, including beating Tahmuras, so he's a favourites chance.

Back