Chester Cup Day - Worth the hassle

davidjohnson

At the Start
I'm off this Wednesday and like the look of the racing there. Is it worth the hassle going (will be driving) or are the stories about Chester being a nightmare exaggerated. The alternative is of course stay in with RUK and rest up for York!

Opinions please.

I really enjoyed it when I went but it's weather dependent I think, it was a glorious day when I went a couple of years ago. The racing is weakest on the Weds though.

I'm up there on Thursday and possibly Friday too this week.

A track that has to be visited at some point for it's uniqueness.

Not quite Cartmel uniqueness though!!! (thought I'd get that one in).

Not been to the Cup meet but assume it will be very busy,decent enough track.

It has a fairly gruesome one-way system, DJ, and limited parking, although no doubt you'll be okay with an ROA sticker on your windscreen. But you must pay attention carefully to signs, since if you miss one, you're on your way out of town! Super town for any sightseeing, if you've the time, especially if you like antiques shops set in a genuine olde-worlde atmosphere. Well worth going to see its rather unique lay-out, including horses being marched across a main road into the parade ring!

Probably the one UK course that I havent visited yet and really must do so. Fontwell and Cartmel maybe too. Hear very different things from very different people. Not everyone is keen. Lot of northerners there of course, but the upside must be its uniqueness

Last edited:
I'm off this Wednesday and like the look of the racing there. Is it worth the hassle going (will be driving) or are the stories about Chester being a nightmare exaggerated. The alternative is of course stay in with RUK and rest up for York!

Opinions please.

I live in Chester. It's a beautiful City, and never miss a May meeting...you'll love it.

I guess it could be a bit of a nightmare driving in if you don't know where you're going. PM me and let me know where you're coming from, and I'll give you directions and a few ideas of the best places to park.

The horses aren't marched across the main road anymore by the way, the stables have been moved.

Ah, well, you see - if I'd made the move from Brighton I'd expected (back in March), I'd know that by now, as had a job offered at the course. I'm surprised they had any room to shoe-horn a Portaloo in, let alone a stable block, Ricko!

Ah, well, you see - if I'd made the move from Brighton I'd expected (back in March), I'd know that by now, as had a job offered at the course. I'm surprised they had any room to shoe-horn a Portaloo in, let alone a stable block, Ricko!

They were opened near the arches on the right hand side, back in 2006 actually.

Press release from then:

This year, Chester bids a fond farewell to the historic and unique Linnenhall Yard that stands in the centre of the City. Gone are the days of horses walking through the streets on their way to the races. The old stables will be replaced by a £2-million riverside development with 138 high-spec stables and general facilities which will offer a more relaxed atmosphere for horses during build-up for racing. Local building developer David Maclean and Chester Racecourse executives have spent 4 years of planning and consultation to create a fantastic establishment for visiting thoroughbreds.

Thanks, Ricko - I think I went there in the mid-90s so missed all that. The horses sound as if they've got a more high-rent setting than some of the human inhabitants! When I next visit my cuz I'll include a visit there, racing or not, to have a look.

Definitely worth going DJ - Chester is a lovely track (even when it's full of orange perma-tanned drunk chavs!!!) and the May meeting is a great meeting. Depending on where you're coming from I always find the drive is better than you'd expect as well (except the time it took me something like 6 hours to get there from Newmarket...bloody M6!!!) and the M6 toll is fantastic, value for its 4 quid.

Thanks for the advice. Think I'm going to go, the good news being I've scrounged a lift!

Hamish McGonagal in the sprint to pay for all other expenses. Someone appears to have broken in to the Easterby barn with them going well at present and this horse looks thrown in on some of his form when second and third off higher marks in strong races last summer. Chester Cup looks very hard, would have been keen on Bernie The Boat with a lower draw but could find things hard. Weakness may get the better of me and if I have a bet in the race it will probably be Swingkeel.

The 3-y-o 12f handicap looks worth having a crack at because I can't get excited about Maxim Gorky who made hard enough work of beating Tropical Blue. In a 4-runner maiden at Leicester, I'd beat Tropical Blue. Alrasm's form has been boosted by Miss Starlight and Paintball but I don't really like him at 12f so will side with Averroes who still holds pattern entries, and Clive Cox isn't the sort of trainer to confuse geese and swans. He comes from what is traditionally a strong race at Sandown and is bred be suited by the step up to 12f.

I backed Saucy Girl at Nottingham and can't help but feel she rather ran into one at Nottingham. Escape Artist is the 3-y-o in the yard I like. Good looking type, sure to make a better 3-y-o over middle distances. Starts from a really low mark in the 40's or 50's and could easily see it improving the best part of 3 stone or so.

I backed Saucy Girl at Nottingham and can't help but feel she rather ran into one at Nottingham.

Some progressive looking form lines coming out of that race...

Escape Artist is the 3-y-o in the yard I like. Good looking type, sure to make a better 3-y-o over middle distances. Starts from a really low mark in the 40's or 50's and could easily see it improving the best part of 3 stone or so.

Will keep an eye out, cheers.

Back