Christmas Eve

Guest_

At the Start
Christmas/Cheltenham Eve.....I don't think its the greatest of Cheltenhams but still get that buzz looking at the cards etc for tomorrow. Cannot wait!

i'm not sure it doesn't look the greatest Cheltenham...we have one of the best GC clashes for years and the other races always end up being thrillers

tomorrow I do believe we will see an awesome CH winner in Sizing Europe...a 10 length+ winner imho

that will get the week off to a buzz for a start

Originally posted by EC1@Mar 10 2008, 07:20 PM
i'm not sure it doesn't look the greatest Cheltenham.
Same here. I`ve read that most of the Novice events aren`t really up to scratch (not really my forte so i wouldn`t know) but it`s the most anticipated Gold Cup in forty years and the Champion Hurdle looks a reasonable renewal. The QM isn`t up to scratch but it should be an interesting event nevertheless.

I described to my friends at work over the weekend that the night before is like Christmas Eve when I believed in Santa.

Prob won't sleep a wink. Pick up the RP at 8am and the 6 hours after will feel like an eternity.

Highchap..you are the same as myself!! Hard to explain the expectation to a non racing lover(the wife)..Can't wait..good luck folks.

Originally posted by EC1@Mar 10 2008, 07:20 PM

tomorrow I do believe we will see an awesome CH winner in Sizing Europe...a 10 length+ winner imho

Keep taking the tablets Eric

Wasn't that excited about it all until this past weekend, but I can hardly wait now (hence why i'm up at 2 in the morning!!)...

Yes I've got the twitch too! Should be asleep and reserving my forces :rolleyes:

Rather desperately need good results esp from Sizing and from King Harald tomorrow as I have so many Betfair anteposts NR - I'm quite behind before I've started! At least I've got a full list of what my bets are so far for the four days........

Aren't people getting a bit carried away?

The first two races are wide open and no real star is coming to the fore at this stage.

The Champion Hurdle hinges on whether Sizing Europe is the horse many think he is.

And as someone says apart from the Gold Cup this year's festival has a decidedly average feel to it.

The meeting was exciting a few years back when you had the likes of Best Mate, Moscow Flyer, Azertyuiop, Hardy Eustace, Baracouda etc in their prime. But this year I fear the publicity hype has got out of control, and people will only be disappointed.

What a scrooge.

I don`t see how this years CH is any less exciting than the one Hardy Eustace won in 2005.

I never got excited about Best Mate - partly because he never had an upstart like Denman breathing down his neck.

As for the Novice events, one never knows how good they will be until they are run - they are a little like the Derby in that respect.

Scrooge? Maybe.

But if Denman and Kauto had clashed over Xmas at either Kempton or Leopardstown, and lets say one had destroyed the other and they were now avoiding each other at Cheltenham, this year's festival would be very average at best.

I agree going into the novice events you sometimes have open heats such as when Brave Inca and WOA ran in the Supreme Novices. But there are other years when you have nailed on banker material that really sets the pulses racing - Golden Cygnet, Azer in the Arkle, Florida Pearl in the Sun Alliance, Monsignor, Istabraq & French Holly. There are no such bankers this year, and for me this festival is neither a decent betting medium nor a mouth watering spectacle. It is one race - The Gold Cup.

I am amazed you never got excited about Best Mate. Your feeling for the sports history and milestones must be slim. I had waited all my life to see a triple Gold Cup winner, and I made sure I was at the winning post as he swept to victory. Whatever the outcome this Friday, neither horse will match that remarkable achievement.

Originally posted by Storm Alert@Mar 11 2008, 01:12 PM

I am amazed you never got excited about Best Mate. Your feeling for the sports history and milestones must be slim. I had waited all my life to see a triple Gold Cup winner, and I made sure I was at the winning post as he swept to victory. Whatever the outcome this Friday, neither horse will match that remarkable achievement.
shrug:: Like i said, if he`d had a major rival to overcome i`d have been impressed. I thought The Fellow was just as worthy of respect, he was just as durable but was unlucky enough to have the odd decent opponent.

Cheltenham is ALWAYS exciting, it's when you see reputations being made and broken. Any horse in the first three this week is worth following, and a credit to his/her trainer. The spectacle is fantastic.

But some people always have to crab a big meeting - 'not up to scratch, it was better in my day' etc etc. I just never see it - currently these are the best we have, and some of the young horses are full of promise, as always. The Ch Chase and Ch Hurdles are always fantastic - why complain that we have more than one or two of that standard this year?

Back