Classic Quotes of Cheltenham Week

Ardross

Senior Jockey
John Hunt : Tom Scudamore rides Midnight Chase

Matt Williams : That is not enough to put me off .

My daughter at Godstone P.T.P on Sunday at the end of the pony race, "Are they kids or proper jockeys riding dad."

The sign on the paddock that read, 'Strictly no children allowed inside' as it was full of about 60 - 3 to 8yo children playing with the hounds.

The best one that I ever heard was when Tony McCoy said that his Champion Hurdle mount had been catching pigeons on the gallops, Charlie Swann replied that his had been "... catching them, cooking them and eating them."

Istabraq - who else?

Alan King on Medermit: "I thought he was an Arkle horse from day one and he has done nothing but progress this season"

I seem to remember connections really fancying him for the Champion Hurdle last year. They only went this route with him once it became clear he wouldn't make the top grade over timber.

Alan King on Medermit: "I thought he was an Arkle horse from day one and he has done nothing but progress this season"

I seem to remember connections really fancying him for the Champion Hurdle last year. They only went this route with him once it became clear he wouldn't make the top grade over timber.

I might be red-faced on several fronts come close of play today - but this fella has always been a talking horse - remember Del Boy coercing me into backing him last year. One of the weeks poorer favourites in my book.

Ted Walsh will be good for something by 1.35 tomorrow

Morning Line this morning

Thommo arranges two leprechaun dolls on the last hurdle , stands between them and says "Now which one's Ted and which one's Ruby ?"

Ted " It's the Dick in the middle I'm worried about"

My daughter at Godstone P.T.P on Sunday at the end of the pony race, "Are they kids or proper jockeys riding dad."

The sign on the paddock that read, 'Strictly no children allowed inside' as it was full of about 60 - 3 to 8yo children playing with the hounds.
Loved the sign and the quote about the jockeys SC - it was a Draghounds meeting too so a "no animals are harmed by this bunch of huntsman" job. Forgot about that ;)

You need to send it off to Private Eye and earn yourself a few quid! I wish I'd taken the one just inside Lingfield's entrance, which boldly proclaimed that hot and cold food was served in The Brassiere... yes, I know, a terrible boob...

Yeah I have - not sure how much of the children were in the pic mind as there was lots of tweed blocking off the parade ring.

Will try and upload it later lol

Scudamore produced his own Coleman's Ball - after an interview with a lady trainer - 'well, she's had plenty of sex this week, did I say that? I meant success of course........

"The Kim Muir is the race known as the Amateur's Gold Cup, isn't it" asked by a racing journalist in the press room...

Brian Viner is a good journalist and I liked this from his Independent piece on Friday on the subject of the anti-Ryanair demonstrator:

"...Michael O'Leary said: 'It's a shame if someone was trying to create cheap publicity for themselves.' A shame indeed, and only a few cynics in the press room were reminded of the late Oliver Reed complaining about drunkards."

Last edited:
Brian Viner is a good journalist and I liked this from his Independent piece on Friday on the subject of the anti-Ryanair demonstrator:

"...Michael O'Leary said: 'It's a shame if someone was trying to create cheap publicity for themselves.' A shame indeed, and only a few cynics in the press room were reminded of the late Oliver Reed complaining about drunkards."

:lol:

It was noticeable how the Gigginstown winners appeared to be the least popular with the Irish racegoers.

:lol::lol:

Who was the wag - was it on here? - who suggested that Mr O'Leary have to pay a premium of £80 for his jockey to use a saddle, and £50 for the horse to wear a bridle? Loved it at the time, and chuckled about it when I saw him again. And - shock, horror! - no tie or cravat? Poor show, sir, what-what!

Back