Clerks Choice

sunybay

At the Start
It is Frankels day but Nh season stating and this one looks special in the cheletneham

the race looks very difficult to rate but it looks a very high figure.

Ground was a big key in his victory I think,wouldn't expect to see him run on winter soft ground.
Not a lot of suitable races to run in but I think the Sidney Banks back at Huntingdon is a possible but that's not 'til February.

Just on the point of his non-novice status, can someone explain to me how Pigeon Island can run in a novices chase despite winning the Grand Annual?!

I should also say it was a very good performance by the Clerk's choice. His jumping was electric.

Last edited:
Think he still qualifies until the end of the month Aragorn - there's some stupid rule IIRC about winning a Novices after the turn of the year or March and being eligible for early season Novices (though someone will correct me I'm sure).

That's exactly it - he remains a novice until the end of October as he didn't break his duck until March. Can't remember the date from which the extension applies though.

Ground was a big key in his victory I think,wouldn't expect to see him run on winter soft ground.
Not a lot of suitable races to run in but I think the Sidney Banks back at Huntingdon is a possible but that's not 'til February.

Christmas Hurdle at Kempton?

I think his was the only time of the weekend which was actually quicker than the 2009 meeting. 1.25 secs outside the course record I believe.

Racing Post today
Haydock the likely target for Clerk`s Choice

He is likely to continue in the footsteps of last seasons Champion hurdle fifth Starluck after his copykat win at Cheltenham sat.
Trainer Michael Banks expects handicapper Dave Dickinson to hike his 4 yo to leave few opportunities outside the top grade.
" Clerks Choice jumps for fun and didn`t come off the bridle in three races last season.I don`t fancy running him under top weight in the Greatwood and unless I can come up with something else it looks like Haydock for the same 4 yo race as Starluck although I`m worried about the ground, He laughed off comments that he hadn`t trained a winner in five years saying " They didn`t mention that I gave my license back for four years"
Roddyo

Good luck to him - Seemed a thoroughly likeable chap when interviewed and I hope the horse turns into a Champion Hurdle contender. I see no reason why not based on his dismissal of a Grade 1 winning juvenile.

I somehow over looked this one but given his ground he could be anything. Looks as though he will be at Haydock ( see below) unless the rains come. Unfortunately they water at the start of the festival to get good ground otherwise this horse would be a worthwhile punt for the CH. Anyway the article in the SL today.

"Clerk's Choice will try to continue his climb up the jumping ladder should he line up for the Betfair iPhone & Android App Hurdle at Haydock on Saturday.
The four-year-old stable star of permit holder Michael Banks created a big impression when completing a four-timer by 21 lengths at Cheltenham last month.
"We are hoping to send Clerk's Choice to Haydock providing the ground is not too soft," said the Waresley handler.
"If there was a lot of rain, then we would have to think about it, but the intention is to run and he worked very well on Tuesday morning.
"This looks the only real option for him at the moment because otherwise we would have to go for the Fighting Fifth at Newcastle the following weekend, for which he would be a very doubtful runner.
"We will jump one hurdle at a time and hopefully head to Cheltenham for the International Hurdle after Saturday.
"I am hoping that there will bit of a pace on as we wouldn't like a crawl but it shouldn't be a worry because of his Flat form." "

Last edited:
First nail in my Cheltenham retirement Lucky 31 :lol:

Missed the race on my way to work. Just not a going day?

Jumped beautifully at Cheltenham, but didn't get a flight right yesterday. Nice to see Carlito Brigante get a sensible ride for a change.

Back