Complaints About Bookmakers

icebreaker

At the Start
I'll start off with this one .................

You bet a horse with PaddyPower online.
You take the price displayed -- say 6/1 -- and tick the betslip.
When, after a couple of seconds, the betslip is processed you find your selection bet has been placed at ............. 5/1
Okay, the price may have shortened within the very short period, but at the very least you should be given the option of accepting or rejecting the new price.
It's sharp practice and it's wrong, and it happens too often for my liking.

I have loads of other complaints about other bookmakers, but this is enough to be going on with for the moment.:)
Do you have any specific issues/gripes about particular bookmakers practices?

Last edited:
Check if you have it on 'quick bet' and turn that function off.
It happen to me on in play tennis by the time the count down had finished my bet was on game 3 instead of game 2 which is what I had wanted.

Can that happen, icebreaker?

I've had many horses shorten with many different bookies but I've always had the option - I cancelled my account with the bookie you mention a number of years ago for reasons already documented on here - of accepting or rejecting the new price with one exception: Brightbet.

I opened an account with them during the jumps season and tried to make a bet. This was on the Saturday morning. It might even have been their own race. I tried to make the bet (a point or two longer than the next best) via oddschecker but when I clicked through the price was considerably shorter. I tried a couple of times more with the same result. When I phoned they told me their oddschecker odds weren't live, that it was still linked to the ante-post market. I withdrew my money and made the bet elsewhere.

This has since happened at least twice more since and with races for which there was no ante-post market. I still sometimes click through to see if the bold price at oddschecker is available 'live' and it never is.

I have still to make a bet with that company.

Nathan,
PaddyPower don't have a "Quick Bet" facility ( I don't think anyway. I've used them for many years, and never saw it).
When you click on a horse from the racecard, the regular betslip pops up and you just enter your stake and click "Bet".

Yes D.O., it can -and does -- happen. Like you say, my experience with every other bookmaker bar PaddyPower is that they give you the option of dismissing the bet if the odds have changed.

And thanks for the heads-up re BetBright, btw.
I'll be avoiding them now, knowing that their prices are basically a false advertising effort.

It often happens that odds displayed on oddschecker are not current. Sometimes you can see changes to odds rippling around the screen and other times you don't, even a few minutes before a race when markets are most active.

A lot of the time it's blatantly obvious when odds in some cells have not been updated but other times the only way of being sure is to click through and see what's really on offer when the betting slip opens. Sometimes even that's not enough, and the price only updates when you log in to have a bet. I think it's probably due to technical issues on the links between oddschecker and the bookie sites and doubt that it's deliberate manipulation.

But I haven't come across your case, icebreaker. I'm used to being warned if the price has changed. Is it possible that a non runner had something to do with it?

Last edited:
But I haven't come across your case, icebreaker. I'm used to being warned if the price has changed. Is it possible that a non runner had something to do with it?
Nah Grey, it has happened so often and most times there has not been any withdrawn horse.
What makes it worse is that when you click "Bet" the betslip still shows 6/1 and then another confirmation window also pops up which also shows the 6/1. Unfortunately, when the bet is processed it is shown as 5/1. So twice, to your disadvantage you have been given the false price.

If anyone doubts me, it's easy to verify by trying it yourself on the PaddyPower website (without actually making a bet).

Coral are the opposite for me, mainly in play on football.
I would regulary do trebles on in play matches, even if i ticked 'auto accept price changes' it would regulary process, then tell me to confirm price change, and go through it all again, sometimes it would take me 10 or more attempts to actually get the bet on, I know in play prices are likely to change regulary but coral seem to change them every few seconds.
Having said that I've also managed to put bets on at Coral when the match has been over, 4 times in the past year the markets still been showing that I have seen and been able to put a bet on, just done it for £200 or less each time so as not to raise suspicion, but been paid each time, I'm sure its happened more than I have noticed too, its always been on foreign games not UK ones.

Last edited:
I'll start off with this one .................

You bet a horse with PaddyPower online.
You take the price displayed -- say 6/1 -- and tick the betslip.
When, after a couple of seconds, the betslip is processed you find your selection bet has been placed at ............. 5/1
Okay, the price may have shortened within the very short period, but at the very least you should be given the option of accepting or rejecting the new price.
It's sharp practice and it's wrong, and it happens too often for my liking.

I have loads of other complaints about other bookmakers, but this is enough to be going on with for the moment.:)
Do you have any specific issues/gripes about particular bookmakers practices?

Try backing s horse when it's not under on Betfair.

Can that happen, icebreaker?

I've had many horses shorten with many different bookies but I've always had the option - I cancelled my account with the bookie you mention a number of years ago for reasons already documented on here - of accepting or rejecting the new price with one exception: Brightbet.

I opened an account with them during the jumps season and tried to make a bet. This was on the Saturday morning. It might even have been their own race. I tried to make the bet (a point or two longer than the next best) via oddschecker but when I clicked through the price was considerably shorter. I tried a couple of times more with the same result. When I phoned they told me their oddschecker odds weren't live, that it was still linked to the ante-post market. I withdrew my money and made the bet elsewhere.

This has since happened at least twice more since and with races for which there was no ante-post market. I still sometimes click through to see if the bold price at oddschecker is available 'live' and it never is.

I have still to make a bet with that company.

A bookmaker pays a fee to oddschecker. The less they play the slower their odds are to update. Some firms prices on oddschecker are a work of fiction.

Try backing s horse when it's not under on Betfair.
In true fashion, a "corporate man" always answers with a diversion to deflect the complaint away from the corporation and onto a scenario of somehow it is the complainant's own fault.
How do you know my instances of this "false odds on betslip" were cases of under on Betfair? ( Not all of them were, actually).

They turned you, mate; you've gone native. They've dazzled you with trinkets, and you've sold your soul for the company gold.
You could make a career in PR; you could be PP's answer to Leon Blanche.

Always amuses me the number of people who claim to win money off bookmakers but close their accounts and refuse to do business with them when subjected to poor service. Consumer sovereignty works in most areas, but bookmaking is unique. If you want to protest and punish the company, then you keep betting with them don't you? Because you always remember!

If you want to protest and punish the company, then you keep betting with them don't you? Because you always remember!
Spot-on. You keep betting with them in order to hurt them as they have hurt you.
You also begin a thread on a horseracing forum entitled "Complaints About Bookmakers".
Both approaches taken in tandem have a sort of soothing, satisfying effect on the psyche.

Click on my account ,,then website preferences ,,there's then "betslip price alerts" yours is probably set to accept all .

Click on my account ,,then website preferences ,,there's then "betslip price alerts" yours is probably set to accept all .
Yes, you're absolutely right !
I've followed your directions and checked that. Betslip Price Alerts was set at "Accept All"; I have now changed to "Prompt Me", is that correct?

Feeling a bit red-faced now.
Thanks for the advice.

In true fashion, a "corporate man" always answers with a diversion to deflect the complaint away from the corporation and onto a scenario of somehow it is the complainant's own fault.
How do you know my instances of this "false odds on betslip" were cases of under on Betfair? ( Not all of them were, actually).

They turned you, mate; you've gone native. They've dazzled you with trinkets, and you've sold your soul for the company gold.
You could make a career in PR; you could be PP's answer to Leon Blanche.

You assertion that it's "sharp practice" is even more ludicrous. its clearly a problem with your settings. Get onto live chat and ask what you need to tweek on your settings.

Back