Computer problems

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
I'm writing this in McDonalds next to the hotel in Spain. The hotel has wifi access and I didn't have a problem with it last year (apart from not getting bets on).

The laptop is telling me it's correctly configured and connected but accessing internet pages seems hit and miss, or more accurately 99% miss and 1% hit.

There's no problem at all here in McDonalds.

I told reception and they said there shouldn't be any problem.

Any ideas?

I'm writing this in McDonalds next to the hotel in Spain. The hotel has wifi access and I didn't have a problem with it last year (apart from not getting bets on).

The laptop is telling me it's correctly configured and connected but accessing internet pages seems hit and miss, or more accurately 99% miss and 1% hit.

There's no problem at all here in McDonalds.

I told reception and they said there shouldn't be any problem.

Any ideas?

Change your diet

Ask them to reboot the master router

Alternatively

Are you being directed to a log in window when you open your internet to type in a wifi password?

Last edited:
Are you being directed to a log in window when you open your internet to type in a wifi password?

I was when I arrived yesterday but couldn't get in. I think the laptop automatically recognised the access code from last year because it was showing that I was connected.

The guy at reception has admitted he is computer illiterate. He checked his own mobile and was satisfied that he could access the internet via the wifi but he did say it was very slow.

I'm in the hotel now and have managed to access this site but I don't know for how long. I might just keep the laptop connected permanently while I'm here.

Yes, Clivex. That was unusually funny for you!

There's also a wee exclamation mark in a yellow triangle over the signal bars at the bottom of my screen. That used to happen at home when the phone was used at the same time as I was trying to use the internet but it cut off access. It doesn't seem to be cutting off access here. Weird.

Last edited:
Sounds like the hotel's Internet connection is goosed, flakey, or has exceedingly small capacity.

Your connection to their Wireless Access Point sounds fine i.e. the local intra-hotel connection. It's their back-end to the Internet that's probably shafted. Rebooting their Internet-facing switch might resolve......failing that, a call to their ISP is probably needed.

Last edited:
I don't know if there's any connection (pun intended) but when I got back up to my room this morning there was a tray with fruit, water, proper cutlery, a glass glass (ie not a plastic one) and a fancy bottle of water.

I phoned down to see if it was delivered by mistake and they said it was a wee present from the hotel.

OK, so it's only fruit and water at the end of the day but it was a nice gesture.

My guess is that your room is situated further from the router, and you are getting a much weaker signal. Try taking the laptop down to reception and seeing if any better there as the chances are the router is in the office behind reception.

Last edited:
Back