Consumer Advice Required

Simon

At the Start
I'm a self-confessed Apple fanboy and am currently using the iPhone 5S which I think is a fantastic phone. However, I'm having a few problems. Last weekend the phone wouldn't charge, so I did the standard things and tried on a different lead, in a different socket and also on a PC and it still wouldn't work. On Monday I phoned Apple and they agreed the phone was faulty and would replace it next day for a £29 fee to cover courier costs, so I paid this and the phone arrived. All working fine and then it came to charging it, same again, wouldn't charge on either lead. This then lead me to believe that it was in fact the lead that was at fault, not one of them but both. Pretty unlucky I thought. So I then ordered a new lead for the phone, which arrived today. Assuming all would now be well I plugged the phone in and it began to charge, however it turns out the charger is charging unbelievably slowly (from dead to 7% in two hours), so now I'm unsure whether I've been very unlucky and got a phone with a shagged battery as a replacement or another shite lead. Apple are unsure as well and want me to send both in for 'service' so they can see the problem. This is a pain in my balls as I need the phone all the time for business purposes and have already gone the majority of the week without it.

Apologies for the long story, but to be clear what I'm asking is, do I have a case for saying my £29 fee for the initial phone replacement, which subsequently proved not to be needed due to Apple's faulty cables, should be refunded? Surely the cables are under warranty just the same as the phone is? Also what is the best course of action for the current predicament.

I've had nothing but problems with these new 'lightning cables'. I'm on my fourth one now, went through two on my iPhone 5 and now two on the 5S. Absolute shambles.

Edited to add: Apple haters and Android bumboys, please don't even bother :) Many thanks

Last edited:
see if you had an Android you wouldn't have a problem :D

I wouldn't have paid a £29 courier fee for a warranty replacement, shows that Apple don't just overcharge on their phones, even special delivery doesn't cost that much (assuming you are in UK) , and if its a warranty replacement then why should you have to pay?

Can you not get to an Apple shop for an appointment, I know the one in Newcastle is very good and they would have replaced it over the counter for you.

The nearest one is a two hour drive - cost of living in the sticks, I guess.

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try if nothing comes up when I've spoken to customer relations.

Back