Coral (Ascot) Hurdle

Tout Seul

Senior Jockey
Restless Harry( OR 145) runs carrying 11.4 getting 4lbs from Ashkazar OR155 and Zaynar OR167. He is giving 4lbs to Karabak OR 163.

I like the horse and his style of running and backed him heavily when he fell at the last at the Festival. Fto last month he gave the field 12 lengths start and otherwise ran a satisfactory race.

When I saw the 20/1 from Victor I almost backed him ew automatically but commonsense prevailed. He's been widely backed today and is now generally 12/14 to 1. The reason I dithered is simple I cannot understand the logic of running him at these weughts. On ratings he has no chance at all so why is he running? Do they think him that good or is there another reason? He originally had an entry in an easier race at Aintree. Help please!

Last edited:
Given his OR etc. surely the most logical route would be the Fixed Brush Hurdle at Haydock - he'd be carrying 11-9 in that and it's over 3m which is a trip he appeared to be relishing at Cheltenham in March when coming down at the last.

Wouldn't be for me as think that 2 1/2m in this grade is likely to be a bit on the sharp side for him.

Did he have an original entry in the Haydock race? Might be running scared of Grand Crus who looks a bit of a good thing (even though I'll be backing James de Vassy)

I'm very suprised they are looking to ruin his handicap mark but I can only assume they are having a go at the big guns to see where they stand. My guess is if he runs well he will be kept over hudles for the year and aimed at the big 2.5 / 3 mile races, if he gets stuffed he'll be sent novice chasing.

Looks an exciting prospect either way to me.

I am surprised Master Minded is odds on to beat Alberta's Run - the ground , the trip and the track all suit AR - on his day as at Cheltenham and Aintree he is the best 2m4f horse in the country .

Well what did that tell connections? He ran well over an inadequate trip beat Zaynar and screwed his handicap mark. Didn't need this race to start him chasing.

Could anyone tell me please which handicap hurdles Restless Harry is likely to run in? Or why connections would be concerned over screwing up his handicap mark when the horse has run a blinder to come third in a grade 2 hurdle (earning 10 grand at the same time) thus ensuring that he's not really going down the handicapping route?

Informative race

the winner looks top class , and with the pace he showed he can be a champion hdl contender and with a very very good chance there.

Karabak, dissapointing, didnt jump very well, looked like fit for the race and I will not give him more chances

Restless Harry , top performance, pity his trainer so inept running here and ruinning the hcp mark.

Zaynar , good run, jumped worse without the cheekpieces and will improve for the run, with the weight he was carrying , good level, he is not a horse for the big festival but can win races in the winter.

If the winner looks top class, why do you suggest Karabak was disappointing? 19f plenty sharp enough of a test for him. Bizarre that you take positive from Zaynar but criticise the effort of Karabak.

I have the winner on 166P for yesterday, Karabak run to 154, when his best figure I have for him is 164, the horse is regressing and looks like becoming a profesional loser.

Why the obsession over 'ruining' Restless Harry's handicap mark? So, there may be one or two handicap hurdles he could run in were connections of a mind to do so but they seem to be intent on going the graded route from now on, which they are perfectly entitled to do and the horse has shown he's more than capable of going down that road. There would have been nary a murmur were it to be Nicholls training the animal; it's the "he's trained in a small yard so he must only be a handicapper" school of thought. He's a very good horse, even though he's only in a small yard.

Last edited:
Back