Could be a long Saturday

Outsider

Journeyman
Not bad on Friday with a 14/1 winner and 2 good price 2nds.
If I could have just one winner tomorrow I hope its Badri 145nm as i have 40/1 now 12s.
And a saver on
Albasheer.
in the Bunbury cup i did ropey guest 50/1 and Abduction 40/1 and I've had to do ssummerghand25/1 who I think needs this 7f now..
In the john smiths ive done
Liberty Lane who looked a bit unlucky last time.
ive done
arisaig 212 nm I didn't think Jamie gave it a good ride at Ascot. 8/1
I will give
Local hero 250nm 16/1 another chance.
Sheer Rocks 407a 18/1
I haven't given up on
Tadreeb 517a 25/1
ive also had a small bet on
Devils angel 327 N has left Jedd Okeefe and hasn't run for a while.
Back in 2022 he beat asadjumeira and won going away at 50/1.(me and Martin were on the 2nd at a big prrice)off a mark of 80.he then dropped back to 5f at Sandown off 87 and was a bit unlucky and finished a close 5th.
Went donnhill after until its last 2 runs.now rated 72 and if he's fit and ready then 20s could be nice.

have a good day.

I just placed my bets there. Mostly based on course/distance and ground today. Here are my picks. I liked the look of local hero too theres some today I feel are well overpriced, infuriating that Toms favourite in the 15:32 as manxman looks like it would win it otherwise..

Attachments

• IMG_6370.jpeg
    IMG_6370.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6371.jpeg
    IMG_6371.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6372.jpeg
    IMG_6372.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6373.jpeg
    IMG_6373.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6374.jpeg
    IMG_6374.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6375.jpeg
    IMG_6375.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 2
nearly all uk courses are good to soft soft in plsces today. If theres a downpour between now and 1pm there could be some serious upsets on the horizon..

Nice winner yesterday - that should have set you up for today :)

I’m on the sidelines atm, but will cheer you on.

I spent a lot of time over the last couple of days trying to get a handle on these cards.

I do think this 'super Saturday' malarkey is a bit of overkill. The July Meeting could easily slip back to midweek since a lot of people are already on holiday by mid-July.

Anyroads, that's a different discussion for a different day.

Here are my thoughts, written on Thursday and yesterday but they refer to my ratings tables which I can't be arsed to copy over because I don't like how they appear on here. I had anticipated having an awful lot of bets (because I usually do on this day) but it turns out I don't so I might at some point try and get a look at the opener at York since there are some old pals in it.

NWM 4.00 - This is a race in which the classier horses tend to do well so I’ve put those rated 99+ in bold green to help me sort the field. I’ve taken 28/1 (5pl) Bless Him. I suspect Spencer would have had the mount had he been available but Ghiani does well for the small number of trainers he rides for. Some horses tend to run well in it year after year. Bless Him won it two years ago off 2lbs higher, was beaten only 2½ lengths last year off another 2lbs higher and he’s probably been trained for it all year. Given the superb form of the yard, I have to go with Awaal as the main bet. He’s also in the International and the Golden Mile, both more valuable than this, but he’d only pick up a 3lbs penalty for either and might improve that much anyway. I’ll have a small win sickness insurance bet on Summerghand because he’ll either win or run into midfield with the Stewards’ Cup in mind. He’ll almost certainly get in at Goodwood off this mark. Shadwell have some nice horses running here and elsewhere so Crowley being here is probably a big tip for Mostabshir. He’ll be my other bet. I do fear Carrytheone but so do the bookies, giving nothing away at 5/1.

NWM 4.35 - I’ve been lamenting the older sprinters for a long time and when a second-rate Australian sprinter comes to Ascot and duffs them up it hammers it home. Art Power is good on his day but those days tend to come at the Curragh or Ascot. Vadream’s best form is with give but it’s drying out. I’m looking to the younger horses here. 3yos have the best overall record in the race and I can see Vandeek and Inisherin dominating this race. I can’t back both so will settle for Vandeek and hope for the best.

ASC 1.45 - The ten-year ‘card RPR’ range for winners of this race is 116-124 so this is a poor renewal. For that reason, I’m going to focus on the better ones, those rated 90+ and again I’ve highlighted them in bold green. It’s no coincidence that they dominate the ratings. They are entitled to outclass the others. I suspect Albasheer is targeting the Stewards’ Cup so will risk letting him go. That leaves Rohaan as the main bet, in fact the only bet.

ASC 2.20 - I suspect some of these might have other targets in mind and I think it’s a two-horse race between Sonny Liston and Quddwah. The two Quddwah beat last time, Docklands and Maljoom, went on replicate the form almost to the pound in the Queen Anne. He could well improve past Sonny Liston who brings top handicap form to the race. Quddwah is now too short to back and I can’t back Sonny Liston to beat him so I’m leaving the race alone.

York 2.35 - I’m going to let this race go. It’s all too tight.

York 3.10 - This renewal is more than up to scratch, the ‘card RPR’ of the top rated in recent years ranging from 117 to 126, so the likes of the bottom three in the table could in fact have been top rated in previous years. It’s such a hot race I’m going to look for something that can approach 130 on the scale. The candidates are Epic Poet, Haunted Dream, Killybegs Warrior, Liberty Lane and Enfjaar. I’m striking Killybegs Warrior out of the list because I reckon if it was seriously fancied one of the higher profile stable stalwarts would be riding (unless there’s a dastardly plan afoot to switch to a better jockey at some point). Not in the list but one I backed during the week is Kingfisher King at 33/1 because Haggas loves to try and win this race and he had eight in it leading up to the five-day decs. I wouldn’t normally associate the jockey with the stable but he is 2/2 for them this season. Marquand is at Ascot for a pretty full book of rides. The other Haggas runner is totally unexposed. He ran very well in the Sandown Derby Trial so could be a 110-115 horse waiting to happen. He disappointed last time dropped back to a mile but he’s bred for stamina so might improve again back up in distance. Again, the jockey tends not to ride for the stable but he does for a lot of the big Newmarket yards. I just wonder if they’re giving him a feel of the track ahead of training him for the Ebor, such is the depth of stamina in his dosage profile although there is no stride data to back up the theory. My short list above occupy four of the front five places in the betting so I can’t dutch them. I’m going to settle for Haunted Dream and Enfjaar against the field and hope for some luck.

York 3.45 - I can’t have Tashkhan at this short a trip so he’s out. Deauville Legend is dodgy so he’s out. This leaves Al Qareem with a handy advantage over some possible improvers but the price is worth a modest win bet.

This Saturday doesn't sometimes hit me as hard as other punters because I only bet horses in my tracker in handicaps and so the Bunbury and Magnet Cup's I don't even look at really unless I have one in the race. Thankfully I don't this year as they look fearsome competitive on just a cursory glance. If I was at York I would throw a tenner on Liberty Lane.

So not many bets today. I have Lou Lou's Gift and Arisaig in the Fillies Handicap at Newmarket. The former was most impressive over c/d last time and I feel a bigger field and a faster pace will really suit her. The latter has been on my tracker since the Craven meeting. I fear the Burke horse naturally.

I managed to get 4/1 about Starlust in the sprint at York when decs were made but that's all gone now.

I'd have preferred Poniros to go back in trip after his run at Ascot where he was much too keen and I'm not in love with the price (7/2) in the last at headquarters. Will wait for a drift.

Also backed PDJC third Sosie in the Grand Prix de Paris this evening. He's generally longer in price than Queen's Vase boat Illinois and I can't have that.

Last edited:
Tracked horses spilling out of my ears today but only four main ones I'll go with:

Russet Gold (1.45 Ascot 16/1 Ew) Not on my tracker list but there are a good few here who look to be at the wrong distance, one being Albasheer, indeed the top four in the weights. The selection might have more to give over this 5f. His trainer is in good nick and jockey Dawson shows an overall profit on his Ascot mounts.

Arisaig (2.12 Newmarket 9/2 Ew). Going smoothly in the Sandringham @ the royal meeting but was checked just as she was making what could have been a telling run. By the time she got herself organised, the winner had gone. No time to regather momentum. I thought that a Bunbury bid might be in the offing but that might come too soon so she's kept in the 3yo bracket. An Improving filly, this, I think.

Azahara Palace (4.42 Ascot 9/2 Ew) Her run in the Kensington handicap at Royal Ascot was an improved performance, with late headway and racing down the unfavoured near side. Run well on all sorts of ground so on the lookout here.

Winterfair (7.20 Salisbury 9/2 Ew). Noted this one at Haydock in May. Held up out the back and was going well enough. Headway 3f out and gave the impression that further might suit. The Breeding says further might well do. Versatile going-wise.

Elsewhere, I fancied Sheer Rocks (Ascot 4.07) in last Saturday's abandoned race but don't get the right vibes for this. I'll have to have a little ew on but only to cover myself.

Lastly, I just have to have a nibble on Londoner in the Bunbury. I've had my eye on this fellow and thought that his run in the Victoria Cup was an eyecatcher. He wasn't disgraced in the MacMillan at York, either, to my eyes.`Ran a strange race at Hamilton lto, I thought, but wily old Jim has something up his sleeve with this one, I'll wager. I won't wager much, for sure but I was happy to hoover up 95/1 win and and 9/2 for seven place son Bfair for my measly shekels.

If Torito had run in the John Smith's, he would've been the run for me, so, in his absence I'd have to side with Haunted Dream (9/1) from the same ownership.

So much racing: definite grand larceny potential, so a Yorick Golightly Saturday for me.

ASC 1.45 - The ten-year ‘card RPR’ range for winners of this race is 116-124 so this is a poor renewal. For that reason, I’m going to focus on the better ones, those rated 90+ and again I’ve highlighted them in bold green. It’s no coincidence that they dominate the ratings. They are entitled to outclass the others. I suspect Albasheer is targeting the Stewards’ Cup so will risk letting him go. That leaves Rohaan as the main bet, in fact the only bet.

I dodged a bullet in opposing Albasheer there. I'm not convinced it was trying today with Doyle finding more backsides than a stray at Crufts but it flew once finding some room. Great prep for the Stewards' Cup.

Unfortunately Rohaan wasn't trying. Maybe the SC is on his agenda as well.

ASC 2.20 - I suspect some of these might have other targets in mind and I think it’s a two-horse race between Sonny Liston and Quddwah. The two Quddwah beat last time, Docklands and Maljoom, went on replicate the form almost to the pound in the Queen Anne. He could well improve past Sonny Liston who brings top handicap form to the race. Quddwah is now too short to back and I can’t back Sonny Liston to beat him so I’m leaving the race alone.

Sonny never looked like getting into it but the winner's head carriage caught my eye. Green? Idling?

York 3.10 - This renewal is more than up to scratch, the ‘card RPR’ of the top rated in recent years ranging from 117 to 126, so the likes of the bottom three in the table could in fact have been top rated in previous years. It’s such a hot race I’m going to look for something that can approach 130 on the scale. The candidates are Epic Poet, Haunted Dream, Killybegs Warrior, Liberty Lane and Enfjaar. I’m striking Killybegs Warrior out of the list because I reckon if it was seriously fancied one of the higher profile stable stalwarts would be riding (unless there’s a dastardly plan afoot to switch to a better jockey at some point). Not in the list but one I backed during the week is Kingfisher King at 33/1 because Haggas loves to try and win this race and he had eight in it leading up to the five-day decs. I wouldn’t normally associate the jockey with the stable but he is 2/2 for them this season. Marquand is at Ascot for a pretty full book of rides. The other Haggas runner is totally unexposed. He ran very well in the Sandown Derby Trial so could be a 110-115 horse waiting to happen. He disappointed last time dropped back to a mile but he’s bred for stamina so might improve again back up in distance. Again, the jockey tends not to ride for the stable but he does for a lot of the big Newmarket yards. I just wonder if they’re giving him a feel of the track ahead of training him for the Ebor, such is the depth of stamina in his dosage profile although there is no stride data to back up the theory. My short list above occupy four of the front five places in the betting so I can’t dutch them. I’m going to settle for Haunted Dream and Enfjaar against the field and hope for some luck.
Enfjaar was my main bet of the entire day so I'm well pleased with that. The place money for KK is a bonus but now I've also got Enfjaar in an ew double with the Shadwell horse in the Bunbury Cup (because Crowley went there).

I just placed my bets there. Mostly based on course/distance and ground today. Here are my picks. I liked the look of local hero too theres some today I feel are well overpriced, infuriating that Toms favourite in the 15:32 as manxman looks like it would win it otherwise..
Just woken up did any of you take my picks ive landed a few places here 👍 annoyed i didnt do northern express on my yankee as it would be 3 placed not 2.

No joy with any bets in the Bunbury but quite impressed with the winner. Nowhere near my radar so his short price was a surprise too. I must have gone too low with his recent form so need to revise that.

I've been gutted all week Orazio got taken out of the Bunbury.

My worst ante post blow ever.

2 bets,today:
Ron O 2.00Y 16/1 5pl
Pentle Bay 3,25Nm 11/2
both taken earlier B365
Luck to all (having a wet weekend inWhitby - hope the family like racing):)

A disappointment today.Summerghand ran well again for a 10 Yr old didn't he.
And Albasheer almost saved the day.

Well done DO today and Euro.

Not bad on Friday with a 14/1 winner and 2 good price 2nds.
If I could have just one winner tomorrow I hope its Badri 145nm as i have 40/1 now 12s.
And a saver on
Albasheer.
in the Bunbury cup i did ropey guest 50/1 and Abduction 40/1 and I've had to do ssummerghand25/1 who I think needs this 7f now..
In the john smiths ive done
Liberty Lane who looked a bit unlucky last time.
ive done
arisaig 212 nm I didn't think Jamie gave it a good ride at Ascot. 8/1
I will give
Local hero 250nm 16/1 another chance.
Sheer Rocks 407a 18/1
I haven't given up on
Tadreeb 517a 25/1
ive also had a small bet on
Devils angel 327 N has left Jedd Okeefe and hasn't run for a while.
Back in 2022 he beat asadjumeira and won going away at 50/1.(me and Martin were on the 2nd at a big prrice)off a mark of 80.he then dropped back to 5f at Sandown off 87 and was a bit unlucky and finished a close 5th.
Went donnhill after until its last 2 runs.now rated 72 and if he's fit and ready then 20s could be nice.

have a good day.
Tadreeb mullered in running there, wasn't he, mate? A fantastic pre-Stewards' run from Albasheer over a distance short of his best. A decent draw and top of the ground needed, of course but a grand trial, eh? They must fancy his chances if they framed him here.

Tadreeb looks like he can still win one possibly dropped to 6f.
Albasheer is looking likely again.if it had won today it would have given me a good profit.
I'm pleased with the way Summerghand ran today.what a run for a 10 year old.

The winner oftadreebs race can be marked up as he was looking for room from 2 out.
Kodi lion.

Cosily. Next stop the Golden Mile.

Edit - just took the new price of 16/1 Only a 3lbs penalty.

[Re Blue For You and his recent York win.]

Just checked the betting. 11/2 fav.

O'Meara is some man. His entries are keeping other possible contenders out of the race. He must have some Gigginstown in his blood.

Back