Counsel's Opinion

fudge

At the Start
Old Counsel's Opinion has been retired and for the last 3 months we have struggled to find a home for him.

The main thing being he is about 16.2h and not an easy ride as he is/was very strong and would need a strong rider on board.

The owners dont want anything for him but are just looking for a good home for him as a hunter hopefully and they would not want to see him running anymore and would take him back if needed. He is very sound and tough and is out in a field with a pony at the minute and bored.

So if anyone knows anyone interested please get in touch.

Good luck with finding him a home. A really likeable horse, needed everything to drop right but was a strong travelling monster on his day. A well earned retirement.

Hi Fudge

Grace at Heros does a great job at rehoming racehorses either on loan or for sale. It would mean the owner has to make a donation to the charity but I understand that Grace does a fantastic job with matching owners with horses. Just a suggestion and may be worth considering or mentioning to the owners.

My mare, Art Series is with Grace and she does a fantastic job with her and the facilities and staff are superb.

Bagworth riding centre would be worth a ring fudge in axebridge somerset.

They give horses a working retirement and they work with langford uni helping train vets on horses and also teach college students to ride. One of my old horses is there and loves it.

Jane who runs it is a great person and she would be worth a ring if your struggling Kevin.

Fudge, It is always hard to find homes for horses in winter due to the increased feed bills, and the whole idea of mud etc. Same story for sports cars - no one wants them when the rain comes! :D

I loved Counsel's Opinion, he is a really nice looking horse. I would think that any of the racehorse rehab places would be happy to take him as although a sharp ride, many folk are looking for a big hunter, and an ex racehorse that is sound is pretty easy to rehome.

As Kathy says, Grace does a great job and is really experienced. I'm not sure he would suit a riding school due to his being a tricky ride, but it is worth talking to them. One of my old horses had a job with Riding for the Disabled believe it or not!

The only thing is that the rehab places want a donation form owner, can be as much as £1,500 - but Grace might take less as he is sound. The money goes on looking after him until they home him and towards upkeep of those less fortunate horses.

It would also be a huge plus that owners would have him back if needed. I did that with my filly to make sure that when she can no longer be ridden she will be safe (old horses become harder and harder to home) and can then be a companion under my care again.

I see Counsels Opinion is now on the Heros website, Fudge. Fingers crossed he soon finds a good home. I was there today seeing Art Series who is due to foal in about 2-3 weeks time. She was out in the paddock enjoying the winter sunshine.

Heros are organising a Race Day at Hereford in June this year which I am hoping to support.

They really do a sterling job.

Fudge I recommend you take advice form Di Arbuthnot at Retraining Of Racehorses as she will know which place is best for this type of horse: darbuthnot@ror.org.uk

I will also pm you with Laura Toft's email, she re-trains and rehomes down in Sussex

There is an Elite day at Heroes coming up on Saturday 12th April [morning].
I can take max 3 guests. It's near Wantage - if anyone would like to come along please pm me.

:rolleyes: Headstrong, I think Counsel's Opinion is already being rehomed by HEROS hence my posting.

Excellent news! Sorry I didn't read past Fudge's post :shy:
So eager to help LOL

I went to HEROs today and was thrilled to see Counsel's Opinion all tacked up awaiting his lass to take him out. He just looked so relaxed with his head over the stable door. Totally chilled out. Grace is hoping to parade him at The Lambourn Open Day at Easter. I think the owners would be thrilled at how well he has settled in Fudge if you ever speak to them. A lovely horse with what appeared a really lovely, kind nature.

It's always so rewarding for me to know that there are happy endings for racehorses. Well done to his trainer and his owners for ensuring that Counsels Opinion goes on to have a happy life way from the race track.

Back