Criteria for graded races?

Aldaniti

At the Start
OH has just asked me something that I can't answer,

What makes a race a grade 1/2/3?

For example say someone wanted to introduce a new grade 1 race, what would the criteria be?

He can't work why the grand national isn't a grade 1

Over jumps handicaps can't be any higher than Grade 3.

It's basically a combination of prize money, quality of runners over a number of years, historical prestige and the particular properties of a race (distance, age restrictions etc.) that define the gradings, which are continually being revised.

(Apologies to anyone who posted in this thread earlier, I accidentally deleted some responses whilst trying to merge a duplicate thread...)

The race would need to be run under the same conditions and around the same time as a non pattern event for three years before being assessed for pattern status. If the quality of the first four home in each season was up to Graded standard it could be admitted as a Grade 2 or 3 race, depending on type - Grade 2's are weight for age or limited handicaps while all Grade 3's are open handicaps. There was a race at Warwick won by Our Vic introduced this year which will probably become a G2 in time while the new Daffodil Vase Chase at Haydock is aiming for G3 status.

Have a look at the very end of this document:

http://www.discover-racing.com/resources/media/JUMP_PATTERN_BOOK_2010.pdf

I shall have a look at that later!

Many thanks (got your PM's Gareth Thanks)

So from that info it would be almost impossible for the Grand National to become a Grade 1 due to the fact that not enough "Good" horses run in it & get placed?

I shall have a look at that later!

Many thanks (got your PM's Gareth Thanks)

So from that info it would be almost impossible for the Grand National to become a Grade 1 due to the fact that not enough "Good" horses run in it & get placed?
No. It could never be a Grade 1 as it isn't a level weights contest.

Presumably the 2m race at the Paddy Power meeting run as the Connaught Chase will eventually become a graded contest.

Back