Curragh Sunday

Guest_

At the Start
Leaving the other thread for the Derby itself....

There is a cracking supporting card today. The Railway Stakes nearly always throws up a top class colt, Intense Focus sets a very good standard so if the Ballydoyle or Prendergast colts can beat him well then we know we have a good one again.

In the Sapphire Stakes the market intrigues me. At Naas when Tax Free won at 4/1 his main rival was seen to be Contest who was also priced at 4/1. That day Contest got a bad bump leaving the stalls, losing around 10-15 lengths and his jockey let him come home in his own time. So today over a furlong further and getting more weight off Tax Free he is 12/1 plus. He will have no problem with the ground, open to plenty of improvement and is a super price.

Looking at the two year olds that the trainers represented in the railway have at their disposal and this historically being such a good pointer I think a couple of stars will come out of this one, not to be missed.

I had a bit of e/w on Conquest on the strength of that, thanks for the hint :)

It certainly looks a cracking day's racing, shame the sun isn't shining for you all
I expect it will be quiet on here later :laughing: well during racing anyway!
Are any of you Irish *not* going?!!

Went a few times with horses years ago, think Millbag was one of mine that ran derby Day, and Nighst Cross, who got mugged by some over rated pussy with a dodgy ticker :+)

I've quite been tempted to go in recent years but it clashes with Salisbury, Newton Abbot and Bath which are meetings I would prefer to go to.

Only time I went was when Grey Swallow won the Derby - Daylami was my fave rave so I enjoyed that; but I have to say of the 3-day meeting I much more enjoyed the first two days, and Derby Day was pretty horrendous in terms of fighting your way through the drunks and the undressed colleens LOL! Froget trying to get a drink....

But I'm glad to have done it, if only once.
I had an O&T badge the first two days, so was comfy anyway

The Curragh is not built to hold the crowd that turns up on Derby day....hopefully in a couple of years the refurbishments will be completed and it will be much more racegoer friendly. Lovely track to go to every other racing day of the year.

Yes that was very much my impression. I loved the whole scene on the other days, esp the Stand Hotel over the way before and after racing, and the general craic - I was with a party with Stan Moore when Encanto almost won the Goffs Sale Race [she lost by a whisker but we felt we'd won!! - they had to ask us to leave the WE so they could give Prendergast his trophy LOL]. Stan's a good man to be at the Curragh with LOL A trip never to be forgotten.

Aine is a really nice type but cannot have her at 11/4 in a handicap such as this. Nastrelli is interesting but think the main angle on this is laying 11/4 when she should probably be around the 6/1 mark.

I backed Cro Mo Ri e/w at 14/1 with 4 places, didn't quite get there!
another nice one for Bolger - and for Rock Of Gibraltar - he's having a good weekend :D

Oh Gawd, we have to negotiate Uttoxeter as well as Windsor

A terrible performance from Myboycharlie. Hard to believe it's the same horse that smashed up Natagora last year. Refused to settle, hung all over the shop and displayed a horrible head carriage.

Back