Curragh Sunday

Guest_

At the Start
Some very interesting stuff today.

Arazan is currently challenging Mastercraftsman for favouritism in the National Stakes and is actually clear favourite with some bookmakers. Arazan should relish the conditions today and I would imagine that is what has him so strong in todays market. Mastercraftsman has won on an easy surface first time out and he is by Danehill Dancer. Indian Ocean impressed me last time at Galway and if one of the big two fail to deliver he might be the one staying on strongly at the end.

Zulu Chief is favourite for the Group 3 event but much of it is down to his reputation. Clearly well regarded and I think the drop down in trip should suit him well, but I do not really trust these Fusachi Pegasus horses until they actually deliver. Throw in the fact King Of Rome was well beaten last time (admitidly in a Group 1) and Alarazi was beaten in a handicap yesterday. Hard not to admire the type of horse Jumbajukiba is but think he is best over 7 furlongs, though he will handle todays going alright. The more I write this the more I am begining to look again at Zulu Chief nearly by default but like I said still that nagging doubt and perhaps Moiqen or Prima Luce can land it.

Have been waiting to see Freemantle for ages since his last run. Testing ground could be a worry but he really caught my eye last time and could be a top class prospect.

Freemantle is getting near to even money now..looks like free money at those odds..it will take something real special FTO to beat him..should be a comfy winner..ground not a problem imo

Disappointing run from Freemantle in relation to the promise he had shown. The ground looks seriously testing.

Favourite has to be opposed in the next.

Last edited:
I have backed Indian Ocean at big prices this morning.

Arazan looks like he is going to go off odds on favourite.

Imagine that will be it for the season for him with the other colts for the remaining Group 1s. Oxx horse was very disappointing.

The ride given to Jumbajukiba at Leopardstown looks even more suspect now after he won well today. Zulu Chief clearly needs good ground and is possibly better bullying poorer opposition. Freemantle would need to have made the running to win today and he's bred to need a trip already.

3.45 Curragh
1st 5 Mastercraftsman (IRE) 9-4
2nd 8 Shaweel 12-1
Tote Win £2.70
Pl £1.70, £3.40
EX £20.50
SF £29.25
Winning Trainer A P O'Brien
Winning Jockey J P Murtagh
Distances sh
Arazan 9-10 fav
7 ran
Non runners 7
Weighed In

2.10 Curragh
1st 9 Nafaath (IRE) 4-1
2nd 19 Lamzena Lady (IRE) 33-1
3rd 4 Four Star General (IRE) 9-1
Tote Win £4.90
Pl £1.20, £24.30, £2.90, £1.10
EX £968.80
SF £154.53
Winning Trainer K Prendergast
Winning Jockey D P McDonogh
Distances 1 1/2l, 3l
Freemantle 11-10 fav
23 ran
Non runners 10

2.40 Curragh
1st 1 Jumbajukiba 10-3
2nd 6 Prima Luce (IRE) 3-1
Tote Win £3.80
Pl £1.70, £2.70
EX £10.90
SF £13.27
Winning Trainer Mrs J Harrington
Winning Jockey F M Berry
Distances 1 3/4l
Zulu Chief 2-1 fav
6 ran
Non runners 3, 4
Weighed In

3.10 Curragh
1st 4 Muskatsturm (GER) 14-1
2nd 6 Heavenly Blues (GER) 9-2 F
3rd 8 Suailce (IRE) 6-1
Tote Win £19.20
Pl £4.50, £2.20, £3.10
EX £165.90
SF £79.89
Tricast £431.57
Winning Trainer S Harley
Winning Jockey M Harley
Distances 15l, hd
12 ran
Weighed In

4.15 Curragh
1st 9 What's Up Pussycat (IRE) 4-1 JF
2nd 8 Roof Fiddle (USA) 4-1 JF
3rd 7 Ohiyesa (IRE) 14-1
Tote Win £3.90
Pl £1.40, £2.00, £4.30
EX £21.00
SF £20.14
Winning Trainer D Wachman
Winning Jockey J P Murtagh
Distances sh, 1/2l
9 ran
Weighed In

Last edited:
These threads are very cryptic if you have not seen the races/results. Some of us (Ok probably just me) were watching the golf.

Was it just me or did Kinane spend the middle of the race fiddling with his goggles?

Picked up on that as well, Gareth. Looked to be pulling his googles down just as Murtagh asked Mastercraftsman for his effort.

I was very impressed with Mastercraftsman. Travelled really nicely (probably the best in the field) and picked up strongly as well. Murtagh said he got tired in the last furlong and O'Brien admitted to being very worried about the combination of the ground and it being his first run off a break. Massive horse with a fair bit of filling out to do as well.

The form is certainly questionable but if Mastercraftsman were to meet Shaweel in a month's time on good ground, there would be a fair bit more in it than a short head IMO.

I certainly wouldn't give up on Freemantle either. His action suggests he wants a faster surface to be seen to best effect.

Last edited:
Rory, I don't think mud larks can win at leop anymore, I'm not sure if they have changed something about the track but if it gets very heavy now they just come over to the stands side where the going never gets too heavy. Jumbajukiba the last day in Leop stayed on the inside and the winner and others came up a better strip of ground (which looks slightly higher ) on the stands side. The ground is uniform at the Curragh, when it gets heavy there is no where to go. Don't back mudlarks at Leop.

The ground is uniform at the Curragh, when it gets heavy there is no where to go. Don't back mudlarks at Leop.

The best ground yesterday was almost certainly nearest the stands rail. Indeed, it could possibly have proved the decisive factor in the National Stakes.

"The best ground yesterday was almost certainly nearest the stands rail. Indeed, it could possibly have proved the decisive factor in the National Stakes."

Which makes Kinane's switch to the outside even more curious.:confused:

Arazan , still a good prospect , especially in firmer ground, the other 2 had beter form than him coming to the race and it is beyond me why he was so short in the betting even being trained by genius Oxx.

Mastercraftsman better in firmer ground and the best 2 yo I have seen this season.

Back