Curragh Sunday

chroniclandlord

Senior Jockey
I fancy Steinbeck, Spin and Air Chief Marshall to give Ballydoyle a treble at the Curragh tomorrow.

I'm especially looking forward to Steinbeck's clash with Arazan and Zafisio in the Solonaway. Unlike most others I still think Steinbeck can make decent horse.

You know when you just take to a horse - that was me with Spin at Leopardstown on her debut. Really liked her that day and she was impressive last time out.

I will be interested in the price Devoted To You opens up at - will love the ease in the ground and trip plus she has shown herself to go well fresh in the past.

Will Steinbeck handle the ground ok? Arazan will absolutely relish it and nice to see Oxx have a couple of winners yesterday. I would prefer him to the Footstepsinthesand colt.

Will Steinbeck handle the ground ok? Arazan will absolutely relish it and nice to see Oxx have a couple of winners yesterday. I would prefer him to the Footstepsinthesand colt.

Yes it was good to see Oxx get some winners, he has had a relatively quiet year. Arazan has been off for a long time, and while it's great to see him back he might need the race. It was soft when Steinbeck ran behind Famous Name at Leopardstown, and bar maybe Arazan, there isn't anything of Famous Name's class in this field.

Murtagh wouldn't fill you with confidence about Devoted To You in his newspaper column. A few of these won't be used to the ground.

Agree that it'll be disappointing if Spin can't take what looks a weak enough listed race.

The Daily Mirror.

For the record, he suggests that Devoted To You might need the run with other autumn targets in mind. He's worried about soft ground for Spin. But he's pretty positive about Steinbeck and Bewitched. Obviously, given that it's probably written by someone else, and these things aren't always the most reliable, it should all be treated with caution.

What price will be available about Steinbeck toorrow? Id be very slow to take him on.

You'd know better Gearoid...what price would you expect him to be?

I will guess 11/10 but that is hardly rocket science given he is the highest rated and had Wade Giles well held. The thing is if he is expected to improve by connections is easy to see him being 4/6 or shorter. If any firm goes 11/8 or bigger tomorrow you would have to play.

Last edited:
I thought he showed a nice turn of foot on the ground today. Wade Giles was very well backed to reverse the form. I think Steinbeck might have a bit left in the tank yet.

I thought Arazan ran OK - a bit keen early which was to be expected and then a fair fourth. I'd be happy enough with that for a comeback after so long. Lets hope hes in one piece tomorrow.

I was disappointed with Arazan - Oxx's generally are pretty fit.

Steinbeck impressed me today - so perhaps I gave up on him too quickly.

They may well be fit but if hes a bit keen early, he'll be using precious energy. By rights after 2 years off, he was entitled to go out like a light and he didn't. If he was mine, I'd be happy enough.

can only echo jinnyj. after all he did contest a group 3 race after 728 + days on the side lines, and he did look massive on telly. jockey did not give him a hard time and he stuck to the task gamely. would be very happy if mine.

Back