Danny Grant tests positive for cocaine

Cantoris

At the Start
This could be an interesting case. When they were thinking of introducing zero tolerance for drink driving in Ireland, the diabetes federation informed the authorities that a by-product of having diabetes is that small traces of substances can occur within the persons system which trigger the breathe test machine as it mirrors alcohol. It will be interesting if something simlar happened Grant as he's fighting it.

Jockey Grant tests positive for cocaine

By Brian Fleming 8:35AM 12 FEB 2010
JOCKEY Danny Grant has tested positive for a metabolite of cocaine after traces were found in his system following random testingat the Curragh on October 11.
The 31-year-old from Waterford on Thursday protested his innocence and believes the substance has come from the medication he takes to combat chronic skin problems.
Grant has suffered from severe eczema and is undergoing treatment to fight the bacterial infection MRSA.
8684.jpg
Danny Grant: attended hearing
PICTURE: Caroline Norris
The jockey was found to have benzoylecgonine, a primary metabolite of cocaine, in his sample when tested. He first learned of his failed drug test the day after arriving in India to defend his champion jockey's crown last November.
Grant attended a two-hour hearing before a three-man Turf Club panel chaired by Gordon Holmes on Thursday, but the case was adjourned as more pharmacological evidence was required.
The jockey said: "I didn't take cocaine so it can only be in my medication, or if it was passed some other way. At the moment I have MRSA. I've suffered from eczema all my life and, now and again, I get a touch of asthma.
"There is information that it can come from medication and it has to be proved for sure. Some people are saying it can come from medication and others are saying it can't."

Any medication with a 'cain' in it will bear small traces of cocaine, since the drug in medicinal form acts as a soother, numbing things like skin flare-ups. Your dentist shoots you up with Novocain before performing dentistry, for example, and while there's only the tiniest trace of coke in the injection, if you were to regularly have to use medications containing it, I'm sure that tiny traces would eventually show. The headline shouldn't say he's tested positive for cocaine, though. He's tested poz for a metabolite of the drug - that's something which metabolizes a substance, say, in turning it from one effect to another - which could well indicate that it's his medication/s.

I'd have thought it might've been wiser to have kept this under wraps, rather than releasing a public topic, until a full investigation involving his doctor was concluded, and then publish results accordingly.

Last edited:
I totally agree with that krizon. I think this headline is way over the top. What they have found is quite likely to be part of his medication and I hope this is quickly sorted out for Danny Grant's sake.

He's tested poz for a metabolite of the drug - that's something which metabolizes a substance, say, in turning it from one effect to another - which could well indicate that it's his medication/s.
I don't think that's true Kri. I believe that in this case a metabolite of cocaine is a substance which cocaine is broken down into by the metabolic process. Positive tests for cocaine are pretty much always evidenced by metabolites of the drug rather than the ingested drug itself.

It'll all come to light in due course, Rory, whether he has used cocaine per se, or not. His medications may well contain a cocaine derivative, common enough in prescription drugs. We'll see - I don't like the idea the man's hung before the evidence has even been examined properly.

Benzoylecgonine is the primary metabolite of cocaine (benzoylmethylecgonine) and its detection is always a sign of the ingestion of cocaine. It is not a metabolite of lots of things which are a bit like cocaine. For example, the primary metabolite of Lidocaine, for example, is monoethylglycinexylidide.

It could only come from his medication if that medication contained cocaine, which is possible, but not if the medication contained novocaine or lidocaine. I'm not making a judgement about Danny Grant, just about the reality of what a positive test for benzoylecgonine means.

Glad to see you're wide awake... yes, quite right, Rory. Well done. (The little smartarse, she thinks, secretly.)

Back