Deauville, Sunday

SteveM

At the Start
The Prix Maurice de Gheest-Goldikova at Deauville on Sunday should be worth watching if they all turn up.

27-021 Society Rock 4 9-2

994-74 Marchand D’Or 8 9-2

-17816 Genki 7 9-2

61-902 Markab 8 9-2

-83133 Smooth Operator 5 9-2

63-433 Evaporation 4 8-13

27-228 Havane Smoker 3 8-11

115-51 Dream Ahead 3 8-11

111-57 Wootton Basset 3 8-11

13-222 Zoffany 3 8-11

243144 Libranno 3 8-11

-74305 Split Trois 3 8-8

4-1721 Moonlight Cloud 3 8-8

Last edited:
I agree that the favourite will be hard to beat but I think Moonlight Cloud and Genki are a touch overpriced at 12s and 25s and I will play them EW and possibly the latter on the PMU.

Dream Ahead looked really well in the July Cup and I'm hoping he can go in here. I've also liked what I've seen of Zoffany, he's bound to win something big soon. I'd agree about Moonlight Cloud and Society Rock is also going the right way... should be good.

Racing Post says soft but acc to Ze Turf it is good ground with little rain forecast. Considering French "good" is closer to firm surely Markab is overpriced at 28/1 with VC? For an 8 yr old he's comparatively lightly raced. Comes to a peak at this stage of the season, nice run behind Deacon Blues at Nby last time and loves fast ground. With the 1 draw he'll adopt his customary tactics, i.e. blast away quick as he can hehe. Strong field as has been mentioned but at the price I'm hopeful he can hold on for a place.
Incidentally, with the ground potentially quickening up is there any danger of Dream Ahead being pulled out? Unlikely based on last run but just a thought. Gl anyone who's having an interest. :)

These French Group Ones are a piece of piss.

Horse deserves extra credit for me avoiding her in the Guineas too! :D

Absolutely brilliant! Well done, and thanks for flagging her up - a good look at her form made the 9s look huge.

Who in God's name backs the like of Dream Ahead at evens?

Last edited:
I wanted Dream Ahead to win this, but he was much too short against at least three very decent opponents. Backed three against the favourite: Zoffany, Moonlight Cloud and Society Rock.

The filly was a very comfortable winner.

Dream Ahead seems to have two ways of running - brilliantly and like there was never any point turning up. Zoffany was useless today.

Last edited:
Goldikova possibly would be able to go for the QE2 if it was in it's original date - with the new date no chance considering the Breeders Cup..

Wow, very impressive performance from the winner. Markab bet went south with the weather but the form given another boost with Deacon Blues going in again very nicely at the Curragh. Guess he's the one to beat at Haydock now.

Zoffany surely needs a well run mile judging by his SJPS run.

Agreed, though I thought that he never looked happy on Sunday, he was holding his head to one side throughout. This might have been because he was struggling with the pace or it may have been something else entirely.

Back