Denis O'regan

Guest_

At the Start
Denis O’Regan got his ban and he deserved it. But the reaction from the crowd towards O’Regan was in stark contrast to how someone like Roger Loughran was treated. By the sounds of things the crowd yesterday were booing and slating O’Regan where as there was none of that at Leopardstown on the Grade 1 day. What sort of crowd would a run of the mill Fakenham meeting attract? Its amazing how quickly opinions change on a jockey!

There's a picture of one bloke who looks like he's about to thump O'Regan.

If you back a horse you back it with all the perils that come with it, fences/hurdles, trouble in running, slipping up, pilot error etc.

Sounds like some of the Junior League foootball parents found their way to Fakenham !!!!! :nuts:

I'm not saying this was anything other than pilot error but, if this was a civilised country where corruption was unacceptable, being a trainer or jockey would be reason enough to be kicked half to death by a baying mob.

People were not so rude for what he had done

only 14 days for him
only 5 days or the Tramore involved jockeys

bans for this and for dropping hands and losing, should be for months

I really don't agree with that. 14 days is plenty for an honest, albeit stupid, mistake. Bans going into months should be reserved for cheating and dangerous behaviour.

Someone has to be really stupid to ride one circuit less or drop hands and lose a race.

The bans are too light.

The fact is, if O'Regan is seen to be more fallible to honest mistakes than the average jockey, or as you put it, more stupid, owners/trainers will stop employing him, so he is being hit on the double. As it is, he makes fewer mistakes than most jockey's, this just happened to be an undeniable, obvious one.

I have to admit it was a bad mistake & he should have known better & I can understand the punters having a go but it was his first time there & he obviously hadn't got the Sat Nav working even though he had walked the course with Hen.

14 days is very fair IMO & lets face it we've all made mistakes at work at least once in our life its just for Denis its in the public eye.Connections,as Gareth said, were very understanding & good for them.The last thing he needed was probably them coming down on him like a ton of bricks too.

Also,having met the guy, you couldn't wish to meet a nicer person so I for one am willing to forgive him this one mistake.

Indeed I agree with Mel 14 to 21 days is enough for cases such as this.

Months ban for genuine errors will do absolutely nothing except ruin careers. If I though 6 month ban would guarantee this would happen again I would look at it more seriously but because they are genuine errors/mistakes in the first place it will do nothing to help.

Where as in the case of cheating etc months/years is a genuine deterrent. You cannot deter someone making a genuine stupid mistake.

In the case of easing down increased penalties would do nothing as they don't expect to be caught in the first place (which is why they ease down). What would stop it is if the penalty were applied for easing down regardless of whether or not it cost the horse a place. As it stands, it's like making drunk driving a crime only if an accident results from it.

Originally posted by Galileo@Jan 15 2008, 08:53 AM
By the sounds of things the crowd yesterday were booing and slating O’Regan
I have no problem whatsoever with this sort of reaction from spectators. Actual violence would clearly be unacceptable but booing and jeering is not.

Originally posted by Galileo@Jan 15 2008, 09:53 AM
Denis O’Regan got his ban and he deserved it. But the reaction from the crowd towards O’Regan was in stark contrast to how someone like Roger Loughran was treated. By the sounds of things the crowd yesterday were booing and slating O’Regan where as there was none of that at Leopardstown on the Grade 1 day. What sort of crowd would a run of the mill Fakenham meeting attract? Its amazing how quickly opinions change on a jockey!
O'Regan deserved a ban and if that is what the stewards dished out then they are the governors of the sport and that is their call. If it was Hong Kong he would have got 6 months, but it is not. The French, Irish, English, American, Hong Kong etc stewards all have different opinions and views on certain things. We never understand it all the time.

Irish stewards, like most Irish racegoers, take a very reasonably common sense approach to it. They don't always get it right but there are not many Irish people complaining about the stewards. These things happen every now and again. Ban him and move on.

Originally posted by gus+Jan 15 2008, 08:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gus @ Jan 15 2008, 08:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Galileo@Jan 15 2008, 08:53 AM
By the sounds of things the crowd yesterday were booing and slating O’Regan
I have no problem whatsoever with this sort of reaction from spectators. Actual violence would clearly be unacceptable but booing and jeering is not. [/b][/quote]
:eek: These racegoers-punters have a long memory regards HARINGAY!!!!Any other horse and I don't think they would have given him the same reception, so it was the combination that no doubt caused the reaction nothing more.....

I personally think this jockey is a brilliant rider, lets hope he don't get put off by this incident....................

Originally posted by Galileo@Jan 15 2008, 12:18 PM
Months ban for genuine errors will do absolutely nothing except ruin careers. If I though 6 month ban would guarantee this would happen again I would look at it more seriously... Where as in the case of cheating etc months/years is a genuine deterrent.
Very well said.

And I agree with those who deplore the sort of aggressive mob behaviour which involves ganging up round the Weighing Room steps and booing someone who made a mistake on his first visit to the course. Or anyone come to that, short of obvious skulduggery. There's far too much boorish behaviour on racecourses these days, most of it drink-fuelled

True enough.

However, it is the jockey's responsibility to walk the course when he gets there and to know what course he is riding over (can they not count any further than two and a half?!) so no excuse really for the incident that occurred.

I attended a seminar on Tuesday at which the O'Regan incident was brought up on around three occasions as an illustration of how not to do things.

The weird thing is, he DID walk the course, with Hen, acc the RP, since neither of them had been to Fakenham before - which makes the incident all the more bizarre :dork:

I know what he said, then again they always say that! You'd be amazed at how few jocks bother walking the course - a mate of mine rode at Plumpton a couple of weeks back and named one top jock in particular who arrived half an hour before his ride and didn't bother going near the track before he rode.

If he did in fact walk the course, as claimed, that's an even worse defence as it shows him up to be utterly brainless. Even jump jockeys can count to three, for God's sake!

The head-on of Oumeyade going the wrong way is now the desktop picture on my laptop - it's been fun to see how many of my colleagues have come up to it, had a look and said, "Something's not quite right here, but I can't think what..."

A very bizarre day for Sam Thomas, all told, as he later got a crystal memento for being the course's top jockey of 2007-8!

gc

Interesting its also a Denis O'Regan thread as he caused a bit of anger on the forums with his unseat from Artless at Perth the other day.

Back