Derby Meeting 2021

Marb

Journeyman
A few good races on the Friday and Saturday which include the Coronation Cup, so we need another thread. A lot of lurkers, new readers, and international viewers might appreciate this meeting having its own thread.

I've got a strong fancy in a handicap for a race on day one.

I'll post nearer the time.

Last edited:
I've got a strong fancy in a handicap for a race on day one.

Same but on day two although I'd have preferred his trainer waited until the Royal Meeting.

Century Dream is a very weak looking fav in the Diomed. Maximal is a bet if he runs - form looking good.

I'm putting my thoughts up here now as I've got it fresh in my mind having just gone through the cards.

I've been to the Derby three times, in 2001, 2002 and 2016. Galileo was definately the best winner I saw in the flesh. I'd have love to have gone this year.

Ebury (Friday 2.35), was with Meade, (Martyn not Noel), until moving to Scott Dixon's recently. His best run last season was in a big field at Royal Ascot when sixth in the Royal Hunt Cup.

Upon changing trainer his first start for Dixon this season was a very good third, behind a horse now entered at Royal Ascot called Volatile Anaylist, who most likely improved a stone or more, (as they often do), since he was gelded.

The second horse was Tomfre who was second in a listed race the time before and is worth his rating of 105. The form of that race looks strong.

I thought Ebury ran a cracker at 16/1 that day, certainly showing his well being, now dropped a 1lb to a mark of 90. I reckon he's the bet in this race, being backed early in the markets I see, Hills are 11/1 standout price but how long will it last?

On the Saturday, in the 3 year old handicap, Patient Dream (Saturday 2.00) is the horse I'm liking the look of. He improved markedly from his gelding operation, when winning first time out.

The form looks top class as the second and third horses look very good progressive three year olds who have won other races since.

The fourth horse trained by O Meara is actually entered at Ayr this Wednesday called T J Eckleburg if anyone's interested, it'd be no surprise to see him frank the form based on how the others have done since.

So yes Patient Dream looks a good one to back in the race.

In the Dash, I was on the Tim Easterby trained Sunday Sovereign (Saturday 3.45), last week. He out ran the odds in a big way showing plenty of early dash.

He was with Paddy Tworney in Ireland as a youngster where he was rated 108 at one stage. Horses like him don't get rated 108 and go off favorite for group races like the Norfolk at Royal Ascot for no reason. He might just be better after being gelded too.

This was a really good run last Saturday and only gets him a 3lb rise now on 98, which is about right. He looked a big powerful type who eats up the ground, which I think is the type of horse you want for this race.

I can't guarantee he will win but I reckon he's every chance of going close and placing at a minimum.

Last edited:
Coronation Cup:
Al Aasy Evs
Japan 10/3
Mogul 13/2
Pyledriver 10s
Albaflora 14s
40s Bar

Impressive as Al Aasy was in his Group 3 at Newbury the opposition were very much not all that and so he's surely take-on-able at his price.

Japan and Mogul are brothers and are of very similar merit. I suppose beating a 2 miler getting weight in the Ormonde is worth something but Mogul is more backable here.

Pyledriver I wanted to back for the Hardwicke but I held off in case he went for this. He indeed lines up and on Voltigeur running has as good a claim as Mogul. Also backable.

Albaflora. Quality filly but one or two likely to be just a bit too good for her.

Coronation Cup:
Al Aasy Evs
Japan 10/3
Mogul 13/2
Pyledriver 10s
Albaflora 14s
40s Bar

Impressive as Al Aasy was in his Group 3 at Newbury the opposition were very much not all that and so he's surely take-on-able at his price.

Japan and Mogul are brothers and are of very similar merit. I suppose beating a 2 miler getting weight in the Ormonde is worth something but Mogul is more backable here.

Pyledriver I wanted to back for the Hardwicke but I held off in case he went for this. He indeed lines up and on Voltigeur running has as good a claim as Mogul. Also backable.

Albaflora. Quality filly but one or two likely to be just a bit too good for her.

Doncha just love it when the bookies throw caution to the winds :lol:

From RacingTV gudle to the Oaks...who dephuck writes this dross?

[FONT=&quot]2. DUBAI FOUNTAIN[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sire: Teofilo. Trainer: Mark Johnston. Official Rating: 110. Odds: 11-1.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mark Johnston, the most successful British Flat trainer of all time, has never won the Oaks, or the Derby.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]However, he has a very strong Oaks candidate this year in Dubai Fountain who made all to triumph in the Cheshire Oaks in May, just as Enable did in 2017.[/FONT]

I'm putting my thoughts up here now as I've got it fresh in my mind having just gone through the cards.

I've been to the Derby three times, in 2001, 2002 and 2016. Galileo was definately the best winner I saw in the flesh. I'd have love to have gone this year.

Ebury (Friday 2.35), was with Meade, (Martyn not Noel), until moving to Scott Dixon's recently. His best run last season was in a big field at Royal Ascot when sixth in the Royal Hunt Cup.

Upon changing trainer his first start for Dixon this season was a very good third, behind a horse now entered at Royal Ascot called Volatile Anaylist, who most likely improved a stone or more, (as they often do), since he was gelded.

The second horse was Tomfre who was second in a listed race the time before and is worth his rating of 105. The form of that race looks strong.

I thought Ebury ran a cracker at 16/1 that day, certainly showing his well being, now dropped a 1lb to a mark of 90. I reckon he's the bet in this race, being backed early in the markets I see, Hills are 11/1 standout price but how long will it last?

On the Saturday, in the 3 year old handicap, Patient Dream (Saturday 2.00) is the horse I'm liking the look of. He improved markedly from his gelding operation, when winning first time out.

The form looks top class as the second and third horses look very good progressive three year olds who have won other races since.

The fourth horse trained by O Meara is actually entered at Ayr this Wednesday called T J Eckleburg if anyone's interested, it'd be no surprise to see him frank the form based on how the others have done since.

So yes Patient Dream looks a good one to back in the race.

In the Dash, I was on the Tim Easterby trained Sunday Sovereign (Saturday 3.45), last week. He out ran the odds in a big way showing plenty of early dash.

He was with Paddy Tworney in Ireland as a youngster where he was rated 108 at one stage. Horses like him don't get rated 108 and go off favorite for group races like the Norfolk at Royal Ascot for no reason. He might just be better after being gelded too.

This was a really good run last Saturday and only gets him a 3lb rise now on 98, which is about right. He looked a big powerful type who eats up the ground, which I think is the type of horse you want for this race.

I can't guarantee he will win but I reckon he's every chance of going close and placing at a minimum.

Ebury runs at Doncaster on Friday night.

T J Eckleburg franked the form of Patient Dreams last win today.

I expect Patient Dream to start a 7/2 shot at best on Saturday, assuming he starts.

Last edited:
Coronation Cup:
Al Aasy Evs
Japan 10/3
Mogul 13/2
Pyledriver 10s
Albaflora 14s
40s Bar

Yeah Pyledriver each way, why not...

Last edited:
Im going on Oaks day, booked tickets yesterday

Tried for the Derby but were no tickets available but they said 190 had come back for Oaks day

ain't been racing since Cheltenham last year:D

Gonna dutch on Snowfall and Zeyaadah, gonna back Pyledriver e.w at 17/2 3 places with B365 in CC

I’m going on Saturday, with forum member Flaggers. Received an email when the limited numbers went on sale - having lost out in ballot - so booked (max 2) immediately. Flaggers went to book 2 himself about a minute later and they’d gone.

4K max capacity.

I’m going on Saturday, with forum member Flaggers. Received an email when the limited numbers went on sale - having lost out in ballot - so booked (max 2) immediately. Flaggers went to book 2 himself about a minute later and they’d gone.

4K max capacity.

Sound stuff mate

Dunno what to expect with the 'rules' when i get in the course, me and my mate are not gonna go in until about half hour before the first race

Travelling from the midlands so cant start out too late, might have a couple of drinks in that pub in Ashtead before parking up:D

Only 4k there so gonna be weird seeing the inside of the course barren:D

I'm giving On A Session another chance each way in tomorrow's 5.40. I'm pretty sure he's better than his last run.

That Thirsk form the time before where he was fourth behind the winner Storting, plus the third Astro King, (now one of the favs for the Royal Hunt Cup), looks good form.

I'm hoping Storting frank's that form well in the 2.35.

Last edited:
I'm giving On A Session another chance each way in tomorrow's 5.40.

Same race, I'm very keen on Shelir (9/1). Earlier today I wrote elsewhere:

Although this race isn’t on TV I had a look because of its value. Quite a few of these wouldn’t get much of a chance to compete for this kind of money normally. However, it’s still quite an uncompetitive affair and I’m more than happy not to look past Shelir (9/1) who has plenty going for him and should probably be favourite. Not all bookies are putting up prices yet so I plan to hold off until they do and hope for 10/1. If 9/1 is the best on offer I’ll be more than happy to take it.

I've been offline since then so don't know if I missed 10s anywhere but I see Shelir is blue and 9s tops. I reckon he should be no more than 3/1.

Two of the horses that followed Bay Bridge (potential Group 1/2 horse) in the London Gold Cup at Newbury are out Saturday. King Frankel is a bit short at 2s (got 3s on Monday) but Oz Legend is likely to be bigger in the 3.40 at Donny.

So it's going to **** rain today snd they've been watering. Will they come up the near rail?

Really, really pleased for Pyledriver. Thought he'd bottled it, but dug and got there. Brilliant stuff.

Why only 6 runners for a race like that? Maybe just as well as ITV only mentioned one of them 20 seconds before loading.......

Last edited:
Cheers. Not a bet I normally do.

I've always loved a reverse forecast or even tricast, especially on dog racing, (which is where my bigger wins tended to come from once upon a time).

I'm going to do one for the Derby tomorrow.

John Leeper, Mac Swiney and Third Realm are the ones I want onside in any forcasts/tricasts with the favorite.

Last edited:
Back