Dettori riding for Mark Johnson

lochsong

At the Start
Does anyone know anything about this? Does it mean that Godolphin has 3 trainers this season or that the best 2 year olds have been sent to Mark Johnson?

Apparently, he wants to get off the mark with rides earlier than if he waited for Godolphin, whose horese are due here the week after next -- according to an interview in today's RP.

No, they won't have three trainers. It's just, as it has been for a couple years now, that 200 or so of Sheikh Mohammed's horse run in, Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mohammed Al Maktoum's colours, who is one of Sheikh Mo's sons. I imagine Dettori will just ride those when available.

It was so bloody cold at Plumpton last meeting, I wish I'd thought of that, Walsy! Next time, next time...

Does anyone know anything about this? Does it mean that Godolphin has 3 trainers this season or that the best 2 year olds have been sent to Mark Johnson?

Johnston normally has decent two year olds from them; it's when they're three and get moved elsewhere it all goes wrong.

Last edited:
From a punting angle I would sooner Johnston employed his usual team of jockeys. We know how the stable's horses are ridden - I suspect that would be too much like hard work for Dettori.

Not sure what your point is but Dettori is the best in the world from the front so you can only imagine this partnership will work very well indeed..

Last edited:
Mark Johnston has about 70 2yos in training this season and about a third of these are owned by the Maktoums (23 at last count). This is no different from usual. Johnston’s policy is to use the best jockey available and this will sometimes mean Dettori.

Not sure what your point is but Dettori is the best in the world from the front so you can only imagine this partnership will work very well indeed..

My point is that it is far harder work continually riding from the front than sitting in the pack. Consequently, these days you are far more likely to find Dettori in pack than on the front. Yes, he can still do it now and again, but race after race? In general I would be quite happy to avoid him on short prices for any stable.

Back