Dewhurst

Power sets the standard and looks the most street wise runner in the race. He looks certain to be involved at the finish. Obviously something could improve massively but the 7/2 for Roger Varian's colt looks a short enough price. A market I would rather get involved with on the day.

Hannon's colt Bronterre looked very nice when winning second time up. I was very impressed.

I also think O'Brien's Nephrite looks useful but IIRC he's only in the middle park, or even if he's in both i'd expect him to run in the middle park.

Varians colt looks handy as well but he's a short price in relation to Power consideirng what both have achieved so far. I do have this nagging suspicion that Ballydoyle has a better one than power though.

To have run him in the Coventry, National Stakes and Railway Stakes as first string it takes a mighty leap of faith to believe they have one better.

To have run him in the Coventry, National Stakes and Railway Stakes as first string it takes a mighty leap of faith to believe they have one better.

Phoenix, not Railway. But you're right, it all points to him being their top one for up to a mile next season. As for the more middle distance types, who knows.

Last edited:
Power most likely winner at first glance... There must be something lurking though... This race has thrown up a few right skinners over the years. Remember doing in two months rent money on Royal Academy when I was in college..... Spagetti hoops for 8 weeks is something I will never forget!:blink:

This race has thrown up a few right skinners over the years. Remember doing in two months rent money on Royal Academy when I was in college..... Spagetti hoops for 8 weeks is something I will never forget!:blink:
A man after my own heart. I had the biggest bet of my young life on Royal Academy that day when at University. I think I finished paying off the overdraft in 1998.

After having another look at this race I think Fencing could be the one for Gosden. I really like Bronterre as well but can't split them so at the prices I would go for the Gosden horse.

Would have got a lot closer to Entifaadha on debut if he'd been on the right side fo the course and then won the washinto singer pretty easily from a host of previous winners. By street cry out of a prix diane winner (Who is a half sister to Lawman as well) he's bred to be good enough and really looks a progressive sort so i'm gonna follow him in.

Nephrite for the middle park, assuming he lines up.

I'm with Parish Hall. I think the key to this horse is Good quick Ground. On a line through Dragons Pulse, Power has him covered, but I think improvement is coming with this fella, and the ground will see him in a different light.

Granted, it's not built on rock solid inside information, and as I say, he's held on form lines. Call it the Bolger factor, Teofilo factor, or shock factor. But i'm taking a punt on this lad having a decent amount of improvement in him, and I think he can be involved in the shake up.

Bronterre was impressive at goodwood but Power looks the safest best - it looks like a dire Dewhurst .

I'm with Parish Hall. I think the key to this horse is Good quick Ground. On a line through Dragons Pulse, Power has him covered, but I think improvement is coming with this fella, and the ground will see him in a different light.

Granted, it's not built on rock solid inside information, and as I say, he's held on form lines. Call it the Bolger factor, Teofilo factor, or shock factor. But i'm taking a punt on this lad having a decent amount of improvement in him, and I think he can be involved in the shake up.

Well done Hezz. I thought Most Improved was going to go past him but he knuckled down well.

its not quick ground imo..but good call

Well done Hezz but Parish Hall is completely exposed and we have around ten horses better than that at home in their stables.

Granted he's exposed, but you could see from the racing program from Bolger that this is his number one 2yo. Entitled to improve, and got better ground than he's been running on.

Well done Hezz - thought Moore gave Power a brutal ride - why did he go so wide to challenge - plenty of room to go upsides Parish Hall. Pocket talking obviously

An unsatisfactory race - Power was pocketed till too late and Bronterre was far too keen going down and far too keen in the first half of the race- in fact he did so well to get so close . Trumpet Major looked like he needed a mile.

Like the winner and runner up though - good attitude and Bolger evidently thinks Parish Hall is a potential Derby horse.

Last edited:
Frank interview from Bolger and backs up Hezz's earlier post (said the horse can't go in soft ground). Some achievement to win the race with a son of Teofilo.

Thinking about it he was so frank in the interview maybe he's trying to flog the horse to Godolphin! "Very sound horse" "Derby horse"

Back