Dirt Champ To Turf Champ

Charlie D

At the Start
From RP

CURLIN'S connections are considering an ambitious international campaign for the world's top-rated racehorse – including the exciting possibility of a trip to Europe to run on the turf in the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe.

The hugely talented four-year-old, last seen inimperious winning form at the Dubai World Cup, paraded in the paddock during Saturday's Kentucky Derby card at Churchill Downs, where he is stabled with trainer Steve Asmussen's string.

Curlin, who entered the paddock via a red carpet covering the equine walkway, is likely to run next in the Stephen Foster Handicap, a Grade 1 at Churchill on June 14.

However, owner Jess Jackson raised the idea of trying the best dirt horse in the world on grass, with the Arc one of the targets mentioned.

“I'd love to continue to take Curlin to new places where horses from the United States don't normally race, like the Arc or the Japan Cup, both for his legacy and well as to plant the US flag just as did in Dubai,” Jackson told the Daily Racing Form.

“I'm a patriot and that was the primary purpose of bringing him to the World Cup. I think we need a little boost for Kentucky, for the USA, particularly in the Middle East. It wasn't about the money.

“And today I wanted to show him off in Kentucky,” added Jackson. “That's where he was born. Kentucky should be very proud that we're still the centre of the equine industry worldwide.”

After finishing third in last year's Kentucky Derby, Curlin proved himself the best dirt performer in the world in winning three of America's most prestigious contests, the Preakness Stakes, Jockey Club Gold Cup and Breeders' Cup Classic.

Asmussen is eyeing the Stephen Foster for Curlin's first outing since Dubai.

“He is stabled here and we'd certainly like to redeem ourselves at Churchill Downs, so I'd love to put him in a position to make the Stephen Foster if we could,” he said.

Be great to see it happening but I cannot see them shipping him over to Europe a few weeks before the Breeders Cup Classic. Maybe the Japan Cup.

It would be great Gal

They'll surely give him a spin in a US turf race to see how he goes before deciding which route to go, so that would be interesting

Not sure they'd even need to aim that high Gal, only need to find out if he goes as well on turf as he does on Dirt, so any turf race would suffice really

It would be great if he turned up for the Arc.

I remember the Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner Carry Back coming over to run in the Arc in 1962, where he finished 10th over a distance further than he cared for and given a feeble ride by Breasley.

He was a proper horse, running in 61 races in his four seasons in training. His Arc run must have been getting on for his 20th start of the season, so he was entitled to run a little flat.

I don't see why Curlin shouldn't do a lot better, provided the going isn't too soft. He'll be a lot fresher than Carry Back, that's for certain!

Not really looked and he probably would be better suited by Good or quicker, but Smart Strike's English Channel and Tungsten Strike coped well enough with a softer surface Ven

In fact, thinking about it, English Channel probably ran one of his best races on soft at 2007 BC meet

Originally posted by Gearoid@May 6 2008, 03:22 AM
Why not run him in the Lingfield Derby...

If you mean the Derby Trial Stakes (Group 3) (Colts & Geldings) (Class 1) (3yo) Gearoid, he can't, as he's is a 4yo

Back