Does this happen to many?

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
I wonder if I'm giving up on racing.

My bets have been more infrequent lately (yet more successful).

I'm just not getting the buzz that I used to get.

I can't remember the last time I rushed home to see if the form book instalment had arrived on time.

It doesn't bother me if I don't see the races on TV.

I can't remember studying up a single foreign race this season, including the Arc, which I realise is next week and I couldn't even tell you what's in it.

I still study most of the (valuable) Saturday TV races but thought nothing of stopping last night to watch a DVD.

I'm all booked up for the Open Meeting but am more looking forward to meeting folk than actually taking in the racing.

I'm thinking of not subscribing to the Jumps Form Book (but probably will in case I get the buzz back).

We have some really top class (rated 126 or more on my figures) horses this season but none fires me up.

Is it me?

What's wrong with me?

The simple answer is you might be doing other things or have other things on?

The worst thing you can do is beat yourself up over it.

Last edited:
bloody heck DO...I still keep going and I do my bollocks most years like 99.5% of punters

so you are one of the 0.5% of punters that makes it pay...and you are fed up?:eek:

bleedin heck..I'd get another interest.:confused:

I have to be honest and say that my interest has waned in the last 12 months. I don't know why, but am inclined to think it owes something to two seasons of shite weather

I'm with you on this one DO. I normally get a buzz when winter is kicking in and the Open meeting and the Henessey are on our screens. The flat has been a complete and utter bore for me. I hope Paul Nicholls being sent every good horse out of France does not send jump racing the same way.

The Flat has been awful this year and the constant worry over the ground has taken it out of me. You used to be able to set your watch by good fast ground from June to the end of September and it made it so much easier.

I wonder if it has been to do with the weather. I was virtually avoiding punting when the going was persistently soft and came to realise I didn't mind not studying or punting. I was glad for the 'weekend off'.

I also wonder if it's got anything to do with the fact that physically, mentally and emotionally I feel utterly brilliant and maybe I'm realising that there is so much more to life than the horses. My wellbeing is probably connected to my regular visits to the gym and health suite, where I can enjoy the sauna, steam room and spa bath.

I'm totally chilled at work, to the point of taking the proverbial out of my boss the other day and getting away with it, and maybe I just don't need the horses as a distraction from the bad things in my life.

Last edited:
I think everyone needs a break from punting every now and again. It's damn hard work and if you are losing which let's face it some of us - most of us - do quite a bit of the time, it's demoralising as well. It's good to just stop punting and even 'thinking punting' every now and then, and just get back to enjoying the horses, the company, the discussion and the 'sport'.

Punting can get quite obsessive and draining, I find, and to leave it alone every now and then rejuvenates my enjoyment, whilst leaving me free as well, to feel I'm not 'missing out' if I ignore whole meetings or the odd big day

Your apathy is mirrored here too, Dessie. I am going to the Arc and the Open, but the racing is almost unconsidered againt the anticipation of spending time with buddies. I am doing the tourist bus tour of Paris on Saturday and I am looking forward more to that than Longchamp. Have I turned into a horsosexual?

I don't really bet that often so can't really offer any thoughts on that side of it but I do notice that my enthusiasm for watching racing in general tends to die off so to speak every so often. I tend to find that if there is a particular horse or horses that I take a shine to, then I just enjoy racing more - I pay attention even if the horses in question isn't racing as there might be another horse who can shed light on the form etc.

Last year I saw Ravens Pass on Diamond Day and picked him out in the paddock and for some reason he just fired my enthusiasm again - I hadn' really been paying that much attention for a while before that and, like others have said, going racing mainly for the social side. I've actually enjoyed this season as I've followed Ravens Pass and Shaweel and, sadly, Kitty Matcham but I don't really have a horse to follow for the jumps season so I'll probably drift into other things for a bit after the Breeders Cup and then get into it again as the flat season nears, again because I'll have Shaweel to follow, providing he stays fit and well.

As a few others have said, take a break from the punting, just enjoy the social side and you'll probably feel much better for it.

I don't really bet that often so can't really offer any thoughts on that side of it but I do notice that my enthusiasm for watching racing in general tends to die off so to speak every so often. I tend to find that if there is a particular horse or horses that I take a shine to, then I just enjoy racing more - I pay attention even if the horses in question isn't racing as there might be another horse who can shed light on the form etc.

Last year I saw Ravens Pass on Diamond Day and picked him out in the paddock and for some reason he just fired my enthusiasm again - I hadn' really been paying that much attention for a while before that and, like others have said, going racing mainly for the social side. I've actually enjoyed this season as I've followed Ravens Pass and Shaweel and, sadly, Kitty Matcham but I don't really have a horse to follow for the jumps season so I'll probably drift into other things for a bit after the Breeders Cup and then get into it again as the flat season nears, again because I'll have Shaweel to follow, providing he stays fit and well.

As a few others have said, take a break from the punting, just enjoy the social side and you'll probably feel much better for it.

Shaweel is an interesting horse to follow. I looked at this years Coventry one night a few weeks after the race, and came to the conclusion I would either follow Orizaba or Shaweel, in terms of one to keep progressing. Needless to say I followed the former and the latter is now looking a better propositon! As i'm taking a keen interest in what wins next year 2000 guineas I feel I must have a sporting bet on now at 25's!

I wonder if I'm giving up on racing.

My bets have been more infrequent lately (yet more successful).

I'm just not getting the buzz that I used to get.

I can't remember the last time I rushed home to see if the form book instalment had arrived on time.

It doesn't bother me if I don't see the races on TV.

I can't remember studying up a single foreign race this season, including the Arc, which I realise is next week and I couldn't even tell you what's in it.

I still study most of the (valuable) Saturday TV races but thought nothing of stopping last night to watch a DVD.

I'm all booked up for the Open Meeting but am more looking forward to meeting folk than actually taking in the racing.

I'm thinking of not subscribing to the Jumps Form Book (but probably will in case I get the buzz back).

We have some really top class (rated 126 or more on my figures) horses this season but none fires me up.

Is it me?

What's wrong with me?

The same thing always happens to me during the flat season Dessie.

Seeing some of the jumps stars come back and watching the first few prospective top novice hurdlers and chasers quickly sorts me out though. There's going to be some real mouthwatering clashes to look forward to this season.

I'm over in Ireland for four days for a couple days racing and hopefully a visit down Wexford later in October, can't wait for the Open meeting a couple of weeks later, and I booked my hotel for the Tingle Creek meeting this weekend. Can't wait to see Tidal Bay take on Master Minded for the first time.

I agree regarding the social though. I thoroughly look forward to the on and off course craic. There's no folk better than racing folk.

Back