Draw Bias

beardo

At the Start
What are peoples thoughts on the draw bias if any for the guineas. Alot of the more fancied runners seem to be drawn high

17 but think the stalls may be central so cant work out how this is going to be run. The other issue is cant really see where the pace will come from.

I do not like 'two' races. I'll re-phrase that: I dislike them.

I just wish 'they' could do something to prevent it happening. I expect they've thought about it and decided there's nothing to be done.

Here's some data for the last 5 years, since they've had the stalls in the centre.

Code:
[b]Year	Going	Stalls	Runners	Result	Comment[/b]
2004	Good	Centre	14ran	4-14-11	"the decision to place the stalls in the centre back-fired in that they were soon spread across the far half of the track, strung out like chasers"
2005	Gd-Firm	Centre	19ran	17-6-4	"all came up the centre until the last furlong or so, when two came close to the stands´ rail."
2006	Gd-Firm	Centre	14ran	6-4-2	"no temptation for the field to disperse to either side of the track in search of the supposedly better ground."
2007	Gd-Firm	Centre	24ran	15-6-18	"effectively two races (14 stands´ side, ten far side)"
2008	Good	Centre	15ran	10-2-7	"although the stalls were in the centre of the track the entire field was soon making its way towards the stands´ rail"

I do not like 'two' races. I'll re-phrase that: I dislike them.

I just wish 'they' could do something to prevent it happening. I expect they've thought about it and decided there's nothing to be done.

I don't think anyone wants to see a Classic turn into effectively two races.

At the same time, you don't want to see bunching and hard luck stories either.

2002 had the former, and 2003 the latter. They decided in 2004 to move the stalls to the centre in the hope that it would solve both problems. It appears to have solved the latter (although they could still all tack to one side, as last year) but not the former (Cockney Rebel's race split into two).

I'm not sure that there's anything they can do to guarantee it won't happen but I think having the stalls in the centre at least makes the ideal situation - that everyone comes up the middle with plenty of room on either side - more likely.

I think horse races should be races between horses -- sounds odd, but I'll explain what I mean.
IMO, the jockeys should be there to get the best race out of their charges. I don't admire Carson, Moore or Eddery (especially) for what they did.
Smart, yes, but the race itself is spoilt - decided by the jockey pulling a fast one.
So, I'd like to see effectively one running rail & a track (or rules? not impossible) where they have to stay in proximity to the rest of the field.

Just my thoughts. As you know, my racing knowledge isn't great, but perhaps an outside observer can see improvements.

Of course, just because an observer is outside doesn't mean they can actually see improvements! :)

Retreating to a neaby bunker now ....

I would rather there to be a bunch and trouble in running instead of the races splitting.

I don't think anyone wants to see a Classic turn into effectively two races.

At the same time, you don't want to see bunching and hard luck stories either.

2002 had the former, and 2003 the latter. They decided in 2004 to move the stalls to the centre in the hope that it would solve both problems. It appears to have solved the latter (although they could still all tack to one side, as last year) but not the former (Cockney Rebel's race split into two).

I'm not sure that there's anything they can do to guarantee it won't happen but I think having the stalls in the centre at least makes the ideal situation - that everyone comes up the middle with plenty of room on either side - more likely.

Back