Dunguib fails drugs test

del boy

Senior Jockey
Cheltenham and Punchestown bumper winner Dunguib has tested positive for a banned substance.
The postive test was returned after the horses' win at the Paddy Power Champion Bumper at Punchestown in April.
The results of a 'B' sample are still being awaited but if the results match, Philip Fenton's stable star will be stripped of its title.(Rte.ie)

It should be mentioned that it was not a performance enhancing drug (according to the Racing Post). I would think (unless there is something more sinister to it) that they probably treated him with something at the time when it was assumed he was not going to Punchestown and it was still in his system when they turned up to the track after their change of heart.

No excuse though and the race should be stripped from him.

It should be mentioned that it was not a performance enhancing drug (according to the Racing Post). I would think (unless there is something more sinister to it) that they probably treated him with something at the time when it was assumed he was not going to Punchestown and it was still in his system when they turned up to the track after their change of heart.

No excuse though and the race should be stripped from him.

Sorry, only read the peice online, havent got a post yet. It was pretty careless of them alright, gonna cost them now though. Expensive Mistake.

What a shambles.. Is this now really going to detract from the horses brilliant performance(s) at Punchestown / Cheltenham ?? At the very very least, the gloss has been well removed. Shame on everybody concerned:o:o Performance enhancing or not, it leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

Oh, poor DUNGUIB! What a performance - and now he stands to lose the race. Don't the bookies and the Tote get a trifle miffed when they pay out on a winner which is subsequently disqualled? Can they claim their pay-outs back from the Levy, or have they just done their biscuits on it? And, if he is disqualified, do ticket-holders paid on e/w for the 2nd now stand to be entitled to an additional pay-out when their runner is promoted to 1st? I know that could only be proved via account-holders' stakes, but what does happen?

It's one thing losing a maiden hurdle somewhere but entirely different losing a big race. I can tell you one thing, when our horses are racing we don't even give them polos for fear it will show up in a drugs test!! I'd be extremely peeved if I was the owner and would be having some strong words with Fenton.

Someone on Betfair called this 4 days ago, he must have great inside info.

What next, giving horses lucozade in their box?

Last edited:
Relkeel, thanks for that. I just wondered if subsequent disquals meant that the pay-outs were invalidated, and that y'all could claim (refund) compensation.

Back