Eddie Ahern

Homer J

At the Start
RESULT OF AN ENQUIRY HELD BY THE DISCIPLINARY PANEL ON THURSDAY 20TH DECEMBER 2007

Eddie Ahern

The Disciplinary Panel of the British Horseracing Authority on 20th December 2007, held an enquiry to establish whether or not Eddie Ahern, the rider of MARSAM (IRE), placed second, had committed a breach of Rule 153 (iii) of the Rules of Racing, in the light of Instruction H9 headed ‘Use of the Whip,’ concerning his use of the whip when riding in the Buy Tickets On-line Handicap Stakes at Southwell on 12th December 2007. This matter was referred to the BHA by the Southwell Stewards following their enquiry on the day as Ahern had already been suspended for 33 days for misuse of the whip during the previous 12 months. In addition the Panel was also asked by the BHA to consider whether or not Ahern had committed a breach of Rule 220 (iii) of the Rules of Racing with regard to the above ride. The gist of this last allegation was that Ahern’s use of the whip when riding MARSAM (IRE) was premeditated conduct designed to ensure that he received a “totting up” penalty at this time of year rather than during the potentially more lucrative Flat Season.

The Panel heard evidence form Ahern, who was legally represented, and also viewed video recordings of the race, as well as a video of his ride in the first race of the day at Southwell, when he received a caution for misuse of the whip.

Before the Panel, Ahern admitted that he was in breach of Rule 153 (iii), and guilty of improper riding, in all respects found by the Southwell Stewards on 12th December – namely that he used his whip with excessive frequency and excessive force, that he hit the gelding in the incorrect place and that he caused it to weal.

Having viewed the race, and having considered the record of veterinary evidence and photographs taken by Anthony Stirk, the Veterinary Officer, the Panel regarded Ahern’s admission as inevitable. The gelding was wealed on both left and right flanks (where, as Ahern knew, he should not have hit the horse at all) as well as on both quarters. Ahern hit MARSAM (IRE) 20 times in the last 2 furlongs and most of those hits were delivered with excessive force. It was a shameful exhibition of riding, and Ahern was right to feel uncomfortable at having to view the videos of his ride.

How did such an experienced jockey come to behave in this way? Was it a misguided action borne of his determination to win (Ahern’s case) or was it designed to trigger the beginning of a “totting up” penalty that he knew was hanging over him at a convenient time of year (the BHA’s case)?

There were a number of striking features of this case which persuaded the Panel that Ahern was indeed engaged in an exercise to bring on his “totting up” period of suspension and was therefore in breach of Rule 220 (iii). He abused MARSAM (IRE) by his grossly excessive use of force for his own disciplinary convenience, and that conduct is highly prejudicial to the proper conduct and good reputation of horseracing.

Ahern rode MARSAM (IRE) in the third race at Southwell on 12th December. His previous ride (in the first race) had also led to a Stewards’ Enquiry, when he admitted using his whip with excessive frequency and perhaps to his surprise was only given a caution. A caution was not enough to trigger the “totting up” procedure. Furthermore, on 14th December, he was due to start an 11-day suspension for whip abuse. This had been imposed by the Disciplinary Panel on 6th December, on a referral from the Kempton Stewards. On that occasion, Ahern was formally admonished by the Chairman of the Disciplinary Panel about his very bad ride at Kempton. He had also collected a total of 33 days of suspensions (including the 11 days imposed on 6th December) for such offences since 22nd May 2007.

Ahern denied that his use of the whip was calculated. He pointed to the fact that he is at least as keen to ride during the Winter Flat Season as he was during the Flat Season. He is in the lead for the Winter Flat Championship and finds that he gets a better pick of the rides during the Winter Flat Season than he gets during the main part of the Flat Season. He explained his ride by referring to his instructions from the trainer, Mick Quinlan, to give a strong ride, and said that the warnings about his use of the whip had gone clean out of his mind because of his keenness to win in a tight finish. He expressed sorrow for his ride (as he had on 6th December), but said he was in the grip of “tunnel vision”.

This Panel found that explanation to be incredible. Ahern is a very experienced jockey and fully understood the warning received on 6th December as well as the renewed message about misuse of the whip that came from his caution less than an hour before the MARSAM (IRE) race. The notion that he was not aware of this in a relatively small Southwell race, and lost his composure in a tight finish did not wash. He began his excessive use of the whip over 2 furlongs out, and continued to the winning post.

Though Ahern had expressed his desire to win the Winter Flat Season Jockeys’ Championship in an interview on 28th November, his circumstances were changed by the time of the Southwell race on 12th December. He was about to begin his 11-day suspension for whip abuse at Kempton on 14th December, and that was due to be followed by 7 days for careless riding, which would keep him off the racecourse until 4th January 2008. So his ambitions for the Winter Flat Season Championship were reduced by the time of his Southwell race.

While the Panel accepted the point that Ahern is a regular during the Winter Flat Season, and that it is important for his income, it nevertheless concluded that it was Ahern’s real intention on 12th December to get all his suspensions (active and likely to be imposed) out of the way as soon as possible. It was a “slate cleaning” exercise on his part, to try to get his “totting up” penalty to run in January after his existing suspensions.

If this had been an isolated case of a breach of Instruction H9 on its own, the penalty imposed would have been 24 days, using the appropriate guidelines. To that would have been added a “totting up” penalty at the outer end of the range recommended, that is 28 days, because of the frequency of the offences, their seriousness and the persistent failure to heed highly specific warnings just before the Southwell breach.

But the breach of Rule 220 (iii) takes the case into a more serious bracket. The recommended entry point is a suspension of 3 months or a fine of £2000. The Panel decided to impose a global suspension for all breaches of 3 months to run from 4th January to 3rd April 2008 inclusive. It is unacceptable that any jockey should commit an offence deliberately to trigger a “totting up” penalty at a particular time, and no doubt the BHA will continue to monitor carefully the circumstances in which any jockey becomes liable to such a penalty. In this case it was particularly unacceptable that Ahern chose to embark on his disciplinary “slate cleaning” by his maltreatment of MARSAM (IRE).

20th December 2007

Notes for Editors:

1. The Panel for the enquiry was: Christopher Rathcreedan (Chairman), Tim Charlton QC and Diana Powles.

2. Rule 220(iii) states: “No person shall act in a manner which in the opinion of the HRA is prejudicial to the integrity, proper conduct or good reputation of horseracing in Great Britain whether or not such conduct shall constitute a breach of any of the foregoing Orders or Rules of Racing.”

Many will feel that Jamie Spencer did something similar when he got banned (I think it was on Fajr) at Lingfield a week or two back.
That meant he triggered a 13 day ban under the totting up system which would be of little consequence as he rarely rides on the AWT at this time of year,whereas a ban early doors on turf may have had an effect on jockeys titles and the such.

Originally posted by tdk@Dec 20 2007, 05:33 PM
Disgusting if it was his intention to deliberately get banned, but is there any evidence to back it up or are they just making that assumption?
I think they are drawing the inference that it is more likely that he deliberately abused the horse to get a ban, rather than a case of being genuinely focused on winning.

If I owned the horse in question I would be apoplectic.

Originally posted by tdk@Dec 20 2007, 06:00 PM
If he has deliberately abused the horse he should be banned for life.
The panel concluded that: "He abused MARSAM (IRE) by his grossly excessive use of force for his own disciplinary convenience."

I don't see how they could make it much clearer.

He's gone down a great deal in my estimation for this behaviour.
There's no excuse for grossly abusing a horse in any circumstances
The wealing was sufficient to show up on photos. Disgraceful
I hope this does serve as a warning to other jockeys never to abuse a horse for personal gain

I think whip bans should also be put in place for this kind of offence - ie any jock who gets a whip ban must then after serving his / her [it's usually his!] ban, is not permitted a whip for a set time on come-back. That would concentrate their minds wonderfully as they'd get few rides :P

I think all owners should vote with their feet - that should teach him. He certainly won't ride for me - not that that will upset him. Shocking story.

I agree with Kathy, those who own horses and have had him ride for them in the past should now boycott him completely and other owners too...he has ridden a horse that my daughter looks after, she wont be happy if he rides him again....Disgraceful

It's very sad as I really have liked Eddie when I've met him and several trainers I know like him a lot and think highly of him

I've never met him, and to be honest, I can't say I have any wish to meet him either now. It would be great to hear him offer up his defence publicly, assuming he has any.

Originally posted by Honest Tom@Dec 20 2007, 08:33 PM
The cnut's got previes for kicking them as well.

The whip should be banned, end of.
Haha, he is not alone i can tell you now i have seen hundreds of lads over the years do it, just he was caught on tv and on the racecourse!!!

As for this whole case, as Eddie says he was told to give it a strong ride by the trainer who would have had to have confirmed this. And the fact the horse had weal marks is sometimes unlucky as some horses do mark very easy but i dont know the horse personally so cant confirm that this is the case. It may look like it has been done on purpose but only Eddie himself would know this. Having worked with Eddie at Loder's and here at my current job i can tell you he is a very nice lad although i have found him to be either excellent or shocking on his rides as in riding to instructions, i cant believe he did do this on purpose.

I have to play devil's advocate here.

Firstly, as fudge points out, some horses do mark very easily. Secondly, the jockey's instructions were to "give it a strong ride". Thirdly, I'm assuming the animal in question has been clipped out [as many are at this time of year] ? When a horse is clipped out it is astonishingly easy to give one a weal, one half-decent clout will do it. Why do you think that Pipe abandoned the traditional forms of clip to leave the entire backside on his horses? It was due to AP getting bans for marking horses and leaving weals when riding finishes. If the coat is left on, the horse doesn't mark.

Of this case specifically, I know no more than is contained in this thread so am not familiar with the case - I thought these points were worth mentioning though before hanging jockeys out to dry completely.

Very good points SL. I really dislike the full clip at this time of year anyway :D
T'ain't natural!!

Just a general observation but does 'give the horse a strong ride' mean hit it 20 times and also in the wrong place?

Originally posted by tetley@Dec 21 2007, 09:05 AM
Just a general observation but does 'give the horse a strong ride' mean hit it 20 times and also in the wrong place?
It usually means the money is down and "kill it if needs be". Another reason why the whip should be banned as its' non-use aids non-trying.

It won't make any differnece to Eddie as I can't afford a horse but if I did then i'd still let him ride it, hes made a mistake but who doesn't, it doesnt make him a bad jockey. i'v not seen him for a few years but i doubt people change that quickly he used to walk round our yard petting the horses giving them polos so hes no demon.

A jockey who shows no respect for the horses should quit the job. I think the 3 months ban is absolutely correct. Sgt. Slaughter Ahern has time to think now...if he knows how to use his brain.

Originally posted by Steepler@Dec 21 2007, 03:37 PM
A jockey who shows no respect for the horses should quit the job. I think the 3 months ban is absolutely correct. Sgt. Slaughter Ahern has time to think now...if he knows how to use his brain.
He will be thinking whilst sat by the pool in Dubai sipping Cocktails. :D

Very amusing fudge.

You come on here and (shock horror) defend a jockey who has been found guilty by the sport of butchering a horse to wipe his totting up slate clean - though you "cant believe he did do this on purpose."

I know nothing of Eddie Ahern, but would have more faith in a discplinary panel who will have looked at all the details behind this and heard representations from Ahern's brief, rather than you telling us that Eddie is a "very nice lad" etc etc.

I seem to recall you about 18 months ago refusing to believe that your buddy Josh Byrne would have done anything wrong. Again, a discplinary panel, looking at the full picture (including JB's admission he had taken brown envelopes from some unsavoury punters), begged to differ.

When Brian Wright was on trial were you trotted out to confirm he was one of racing's good guys?

Eddie is an idiot and Id expect nothing less than a brainless display like this from him.As for the comments about Josh,he was found guilty of passing on information,NOT for monetary gains, and misleading the investigation,NOT for race fixing.

It's possible of course that nice people occasionally do unsavoury things. Being charming or friendly or kind to animals does not preclude the ability to do things which go against that grain. This is especially true when ones better nature is obscured by thoughts of wealth or power which tend to grow and obscure reason. I'm making a general comment here as I have no knowledge of the Ahern case other than what has been posted, but it fits the bill that a jockey who can earn large sums plus the kudos that goes with it might easily transgress the rules if (consciously or not) he knew that such an action might inadvertently increase his potential to earn and gain plaudits.

Back