Edward Hide RIP

Ardross

Senior Jockey
Announced by his son on Twitter today that he had died aged 86 in the night. Yet the RP and SL websites took ages before mentioning anything.

Leaves Carson as the last of the top jockeys of the 1970s still with us.

Eminently reliable jockey - if you have ever seen the video a careful clever ride on Morston in the Derby- **** of the North heavens knows how many times .

RIP and thanks for the memoriess E Hide.

Used to get occasional info from the Elsey yard,usually ridden by Eddie,Pia in the Leger was one.
RIP

Between the ages of 10 and about 13, the daily ritual in our household (on school days) was for my Dad to drop me off at my nan's in the early morning while he continued to work.

While I had my boiled egg, my Nan used to sit at the kitchen table, Daily Mirror opened to the racing pages.

I don't know, but probably there was no real consideration of form going on, no breeding thoughts, certainly no knowledge of pace, running styles in likely context of races, etc. I suspect we could have a good chat about that if she was still here now.

But I remember Nana using a blue biro to make small dots against certain runners as she looked through. I asked her what she was doing one day, and she said ' I just follow certain jockeys, so I mark them here ready for my bets'.

The jockeys she mentioned some 50 years ago? Well, one was Lester Piggott and another was Eddie Hide.

So thanks Eddie, for that memory. Awareness of your skills in the saddle extended even to a tiny flat in Shepherds Bush. RIP.

Sharing the same first name I always kept an eye on his rides.
He won stacks and stacks of winners through his life.
Julio Mariner, Mrs McArdy his two classic winners in my time/ may he Rest In Peace.

Used to get occasional info from the Elsey yard,usually ridden by Eddie,Pia in the Leger was one.
RIP

Pia was the '67 Oaks winner, which Hide rode for Elsey. You may mean Elsey's Leger winner Peleid (whom he didn't ride), but Hide did ride Julio Mariner a few years later. Of course he did ride Morston to win the Derby though devastated in the paddock to be told by Budgett to go easy on him. He thought he'd missed a couple of winners at Ripon to ride an immature horse in the Derby.
On the retirement of Scobie Breasley he took over as Gordon Richard's stable jockey but it was to be a short stay in the South as Richard's had to retire when Sobell/Weinstock moved their horses to Dick Hern on purchasing West Ilsley Stables.
I was surprised to read in Peter Walwyn's biography that he thought Hide was a total c**t.

I started to take an interest in horse racing in 1980 at a young age.For years I read about how great Walwyn was -my memory of him is training lots of expensive horses for Hamdan Al Maktoum who found it hard to win races.Did Walwyn win anything of note after 1980.

I started to take an interest in horse racing in 1980 at a young age.For years I read about how great Walwyn was -my memory of him is training lots of expensive horses for Hamdan Al Maktoum who found it hard to win races.Did Walwyn win anything of note after 1980.

He was Champion Trainer in '74 (Polygamy) and '75 (Grundy). He was also the leading UK trainer in '77, but you are quite correct he did very little after '78. In '78 he had two big hits: the first was the stable was hit by an equine virus half way through the season and the second was the loss of the Wildenstein horses. In 1979 the virus did not leave him and he lost a number of owners including the Niarchos horses, which included a certain colt called Nureyev. He never recovered from those losses. he lost his stable jockey, Eddery at the end of the '80 season.
His biggest win after 1980 was probably Stalker in the 1985 Middle Park. Yes he did get Hamdan horses, but he was playing second fiddle to Dick Hern and Thomson-Jones who were Hamdan's main trainers.
But from 1969 to 1977 he was a fine trainer and always in the top 5. The best horses he trained were probably Humble Duty and Grundy.

I was surprised to read in Peter Walwyn's biography that he thought Hide was a total c**t.

I just read the offending piece again to refresh myself.
Apparently Crozier , a Walwyn trained horse ridden by Duncan Keith was beaten a head by a Hide ridden Fortissimo in John Porter Stakes 1969.
Duncan Keith objected and Eddie Hide not too well pleased , calling Keith a cnut.
Crozier got the race but but in 1000 Gns a few weeks later Lucyrowe (Walwyn/Keith ) got lit up in a muddling race and was surprisingly beaten, Keith blaming Eddie Hide for the muddle.
Lucyrowe won Princess Elizabeth Stakes, Coronation Stakes by 12 lengths and Nassau Stakes after so Mr Hide may not have been flavour of the month at Seven Barrows ; come to think of it he rode very few for Peter Walwyn to my recollection; Frank Morby riding those sent up north in the 70s.

I think Walwyn had a bad period, like Cecil, but unlike Cecil never recovered. If one looked at the lay of the land in 1976/7 he probably had the best Cliveden horses, had Wildenstein sending his horses over( eventually moving everything over in '78) and had good De Walden horses. Within 3 years Cecil had all the Wildenstein horses (other than a handful that went to Gavin Hunter) and the best of the other 2 owners. Just bad luck and one of those things. Hern was similarly hit by the equine virus in '66, '68 and '69 but recovered powerfully in '70. Walwyn didn't get that chance.

Probably the most significant day was the Thursday of Royal Ascot when Buckskin was beaten by Shangamuzo in the Gold Cup. Wildenstein was fuming and said that Eddery wasn't man enough to ride Buckskin.Walwyn disagreed and within a few weeks his horses were gone.

Back