Egotistical Git

ovverbruv

At the Start
Jos Gibbons, a pupil at my old school, King Edward VI Camp Hill Boys received his A level results today. He got 10 A grades and 1 B grade, the tosser is appealing the B!!!!!

As a side note how the hell could he study for 11 A levels, the school has 40 lessons in a week, 3 of which are Games so that leaves him 3 lessons a week for teaching. I am seriously impressed with those results, but he should accept the B

I think it would be wise to anonymise both the pupil and the school OB. Mind you, am I to assume he's already put this into the public arena himself?

If he's entitled to appeal for the other 'A' let him do so and hope he gets it.

For years we've been trying to get kids to push themselves and not to settle for second best.

Even if the appeal is unsuccessful, it's a fantastic performance although no doubt it will, sadly, be crabbed by the older generation.

Well done that young man!

If it helps he took the first one's aged 13 I read in the paper. Also has a disability which makes him exceptionally dedicated to things that he enjoys doing, loves etc.

Well done to him and if he wants to appeal the B then let him :)

You sound quite bitter OB. Or reading between the lines are you trying to tell us you went to a good school?

I didnt think it was possible to get a 'b' these days.

Grade A ?! whats one of those ? sure he should have A* 's all the way.

Meaningless crap .

I find your perspective hard to understand, OB. He clearly thinks he achieved the A he worked hard for. Not to appeal would be to accept an injustice, and would devalue his work. I tend to think too, that he probably knows more of the subject than the marker.

I've just got my first year A Level results, and I find it baffling how much controversy there is over them getting easier. The only lessons I feel need looking into are Business Studies and General Studies, as they are both pretty easy and reminiscent of GCSE level, but subjects such as French and Psychology are incredibly difficult, particularly Psychology, as I know many "studious :P " pupils that took it and the best they managed was a B, despite putting in monstrous amounts of work.

I got an AABD and an A in General Studies, and would like to read Geography at Uni, but I'm not sure where just yet, will have to make sure the pitfalls of turning 18 during this year don't totally wreck my plans!

Originally posted by jairducochetfan@Aug 18 2007, 10:13 AM
I got an AABD and an A in General Studies, and would like to read Geography at Uni, but I'm not sure where just yet,
Come and read geography at Reading!! I need to increase the numbers that turn up to my seminars :laughing:

Well done, JDCfan! Good luck with your final year.

As to the widespread feeling that all A-levels are much easier, absolute bollocks! Yes, there are some subjects that are relatively easy but from my experience through my two sons there are certainly significant differences in the nature of the papers but they are definitely not easier.
I love studying history, even learning Latin and Greek in order to better understand ancient history, and consider myself quite knowledgeable about certain periods. My sons seem to have inherited my passion for the subject and both have worked very hard with the aim of studying the subject at uni. I read their essays and am amazed to find that they are required to analyse and interpret events to a far greater degree than was required from me. In the past the ability to memorise dates and details together with relevant quotes from learned historians was enough. Nowdays they have to show a far greater understanding of the importance of events and to demonstrate analytical skills that I did not achieve until a much later stage. I take this as progression rather than simplifying.

Originally posted by Epona+Aug 18 2007, 11:13 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Epona @ Aug 18 2007, 11:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jairducochetfan@Aug 18 2007, 10:13 AM
I got an AABD and an A in General Studies, and would like to read Geography at Uni, but I'm not sure where just yet,
Come and read geography at Reading!! I need to increase the numbers that turn up to my seminars :laughing: [/b][/quote]
Handy for lots of racecourses too! Newbury, Windsor, Ascot are all nearby and Kempton, Epsom and Sandown not much farther

Some A level papers now [eg in Maths] are using O level questions from 30 years ago. I left school over 40 years ago and I can assure we were really stretched at A level, and were certainly expected to analyse. you couldn't do more than 4, and most people did only 3 ove rthe usual 2 years.

It was considered really exceptional to get 12 O levels as I did, 2 of them in the 1st year 6th form, 10 in the usual year. We had to get special permission to take 10 rather than the usual 8 max. A levels were so demanding in those days that no-one was allowed to take more than 4 - if you stayed another year to get into Oxbridge you might take one more, but you were usually just trying to upgrade [ie taking the same subject again, after another year of study, esp for Latin and Greek, which you had to have for most good universities to read English or a language]

I'm not at all impressed with what I've seen of current A level papers - neither are friends of mine who are University lecturers of long experience! The application forms, even for English, show a level of illiteracy which is really shocking

Originally posted by uncle goober@Aug 18 2007, 09:15 AM
would like to read Geography at Uni, but I'm not sure where just yet

I like that bit :laughing:

:laughing: Sharp!

Thanks all

Epona, Reading was one I was considering, I'm more interested in the human side of the subject but have struggled finding a Human Geography course which isn't in the middle of nowhere!

What a remarkable opening post. The lad's got ambition. Fair play, I hope that if an injustice has been perpetrated then his appeal is successful.

Mind you, in my opinion, exam results count for diddly squat but then that's just a personal opinion. One for another day, perhaps!

As opposed to Reading, which is nowhere in close proximity to somewhere.

The only way of comparing previous years standards would be to use subjects which don't ostensibly change, like Maths. I certainly know of a few mischievous teachers who have given A level Maths papers from 20 years ago to the current crop, and discovered that the average mark fell broadly by about 20% when asked to take last years paper by way of comparison.

I think you also need to clarify a time period as well. A level papers have been getting noticably easier for at least a decade, so you need to understand the point of reference, as if you're comparing standards from say, 30 years ago then there will be a difference. If however you compare them from 5 years ago, the difference will be minimal, if indeed it exists at all.

Also in order to compare like for like, I don't see how you can do so without making a concession to the dominance that coursework now plays. I for one refuse to believe that well educated, well resourced, and ambitious parents are not in a position to give little Johnny more than just a leg up if it comes between a university place of choice, and somewhere like Coventry.

I know from my own experience (I went as a so-called mature student) and joined the first GCSE intake, and was moderately horrified how poor they were. They seemingly tried to make up for it by effort and graft, but ultimately many of them were being educated beyond their intelligence, and laudible though their application was, they just weren't that clever. I managed to get dispensation from my placement year, and thus joined the last O-level generation for my final year. The difference was palpable. It's difficult for me to qualify it empirically, but I'd estimate they were 15 - 20% brighter.

I personally felt this is when it started. The replacement of the O-level had a knock on effect, when suddenly a lot of GCSE victims were being catapulted into A levels that they wouldn't otherwise have been capable of. The answer was to dumb down the A level. My own impressions were that my own degree was no more testing than my A levels as a result of joining (or straddling as it turned out) the two generations.

I'm sure I told you about a student we had recently, who was studying at the so De-Montfort University (known locally as the Demon Fart in recognition of its output). Remember this is an under-graduate. We presented her with a blank map of Europe and Africa and asked her to fill in the countries. She got France, Italy, Portugal, Germnany, Holland and Belgium eventually having got them the wrong way round intially, I seem to recall she identified Norway as Sweden, but have got it right eventually, and then gave up. Despite the fact that Eastern European countries had been dominating the news, she was oblivious to them. The African map was even better. She correctly identified South Africa (there was a clue in the name) identified Egypt as Saudi Arabia, and then gave up.

Now you might say that's no test of intelligence, and you'd be right, but God streuth cry I'd have done better than that as a 9 year old, and it doesn't exactly point towards the development of a rounded and knowledgable individual. I think there's a world of difference between memorising short-term facts and allowing others to assist in your coursework, and being able to understand, and place a series of inter related issues, complete with evaluating them, and their implications against a relevant background context.

Personally, I've seen little evidence to suggest that the A-level hasn't got easier, but believe this started around 1985 - 1990. The best will always cope in which ever generation they were in, but there those in the grey areas

've not seen the papers that were the equivalent of A Levels from 30 years ago or whenever they started getting "easy", but from what I gather, the questions seemed to be more recollection of facts than any interpretation of them. I think History is the subject that many will use to challenge the current system, as for example, many of the older generation will crab the current generations lack of knowledge of when certain events happened, and who was involved etc, but surely it is more important to be able to dissect the issues behind an event and develop analytical skills than simply be able to reel off "X died on X date" for example.

We studied a few Brazilian cities in Geography last year, and at the end of the module, one of the lads still didn't actually know where Brazil was, but could reel off the problems facing Rio De Janeiro, the attempted solutions, what the predicted population growth rates for the city were etc.

Originally posted by Warbler@Aug 18 2007, 05:26 PM
I certainly know of a few mischievous teachers who have given A level Maths papers from 20 years ago to the current crop, and discovered that the average mark fell broadly by about 20% when asked to take last years paper by way of comparison.
I am not sure how representative this is though as the current exam is to test what has been taught on the current curriculum. If the curriculum is only 20% different 20 years ago then that can explain the difference in grades.

A few of the better teachers that I had and have subsequently spoken to would like to teach their pupils to learn, thus negating this issue, but regrettably there are many factors that instead force them to teach to students to pass the applicable exam with the highest grade.

This argument has been raging for years now, and I think a lot of people are making judgements - either way - without actually seeing any real evidence.

When I took my GCSEs, 15 years ago now, the Daily Express ran a piece about how GCSEs were getting so much easier. I'm a reasonably bright person and passed 7 of the 10 that I took (the others I had just dossed around in due to lack of teacher control). I had worked bloody hard at Maths, Science, Geography etc and was proud of my results. Then to open the paper and find some old journalist belittling my achievements on the very day of my results, well, it was too much.

This journalist had obtained "example papers" and had printed some questions in his article to illustrate the "sort of questions our A grade candidates are facing today".

Trouble is, he had used a Maths question from the remedial class paper (paper 1 - you needed to take papers 3 and 4 to get an A grade), and the very opening question of the basic Science paper (again you could not get an A by just doing this paper).

So I rang him up. I asked him, very politely, if he could read out what papers these questions had come from. "Paper One" he said, about the Maths question. I then very politely pointed out that Paper One was designed for the slow learners who were not expected to pass at all, let alone get an A grade.

He hung up on me.

It's very unfair of journalists to trumpet off about how easy all these exams are now, just to make a sensational story about the state of the country, without actually basing these stories in fact. It makes a mockery of those who do work hard to achieve their qualifications.

Back