Elzaam - Haydock Sprint Cup

woggymac

At the Start
I reckon this 3 y old trained by Roger Varian is a big big price for tomorrows sprint cup. As a two year old Elzaam only just got beat by Strong Suit at Royal Ascot. They pulled well clear of everything else that day and thats when my interest in the horse started. His form tailed off to a certain extent towards the end of the year but that was mainly down to them trying to step him up in trip to 7 furlongs. This horse definitely needs a proper sprint trip. He started his three year old year very impressively winning a listed race at newbury by 6 lengths beating reliable yardstick Dinkum Diamond. Ok that may not be quite good enough in the context of tomorrows race but what he did in his next two races is of more interest. He went to Royal Ascot once again, only to encounter soft ground which wasn't to his liking. Richard Hills gave him a shocking ride, switching sides twice at the start before deciding to stay with the bulk of the field on the far side. He had a fairly rough race and was well back but stayed on extremely well through ground which he didn't like. He only got beat 2 lengths off sociey rock and was alongside the likes of bated breath who is half the price tomorrow and surely elzaam will do much better on top of the ground. Elzaam then went on to run in the july cup where R.Hills again gave him a poor ride. In an article earlier in the season which you can read on the racing post site Roger Varian said he needs cover and to come late and that is the key to riding him. So Hills sets him alight out the stalls in the july cup and sits in second chasing the pacemaker. He had nothing left come the final furlong as he saw far too much daylight. However he rallied and wasn't beat too far in the end. If Richard Hills pulls his finger out tomorrow and rides to instructions which hopefully he will Im sure Elzaam will be bang there come the finish as this is likely to be his last race where he wil be getting weight for age, admittedly only two lbs at this time of year but Elzaam should be well matured for a 3 year old now and should run a massive race at 14/1!!

Danny :)

I must say, I'd rather have him than Hughesie at present. The latter was desperate on a couple of occasions at the same meeting.

He was on a better class of horse than Hughes yesterday. One was a steering job and the other two have huge untapped potential. Hughes every day of the week for me!

Yep Im not a Richard Hills fan. Thats where the gamble lies I think. Depending on whether he can have one of his better days (which are quite rare)

Hamdan likes his horses ridden up with the pace and Hills is one of the best from the front or on the pace. Trying to boot a winner from off the pace he's not as good.

I rate Hills though. I always think he is underestimated on the book.

Much depends on the ground, but Elzaam might lack the speed, if it remains fastish.
Given the above, this quick 6 is probably Hoof It's best chance of a gp1 victory, with a forecast to cover the chance of Dream Ahead being rejuvenated.

Last edited:
Why are there two threads about this race ? Do we not have moderators any more ????;)

Last edited:
You'll have to post about your sex life, Gears - that used to spark everyone up a bit. But there are a number of people lost in the last few months, so not surprising that things are languishing a bit. Warbler has long warbled away elsewhere, Hamm isn't about anywhere like he used to be, and Clivex will only pop out of his box to spank us on political ishoos, Songsheet's departed the breeding site, EC1 has seemingly also got lost in the woods, and so on...

You'll have to post about your sex life, Gears - that used to spark everyone up a bit. .

On the other hand...

As for the forum I would not worry. The hedge jumping will have them all back killing each other and hopefully EC1 etc will return.

Back