Entry question

Songsheet

At the Start
Just wanted to ask how the ballot works on a 2yo maiden. I know the higher the number against the horse means they get nearer to the top of the list come balloting but how does that work when, for example, you have a lot of horses that haven't run before - who gets priority and how is it worked out ?

In Ireland, if there are a host of horses on equal protection (say like in this instance a few that have never ran before) the system puts them in order by giving preference to those that have been balloted out of another race recently and then if horses have never been balloted out they are just selected randomly.

Is supposed to be random! Usually if a trainer has multiple entries then some will get a mark and some won't if they are unraced. If the horse has had one run and shown promise (i.e. places), it invariably gets a run next time.

The Newbury race is first preference to divide so he could get a run. Hes in at Salisbury whatever though as he has no ballot mark.

Part F

7. Part F of this Schedule applies to the following.

8.1 All other flat race categories not listed in Parts A, B, D, E, K, and L of this Schedule.
8.2 Protection from elimination will operate in the following order, based upon races run up to and including the Saturday previous to closing or, in the case of races which closed more than six days before running, up to and including the Saturday before the time determined in accordance with Part 6 for confirming entries

8.2.1 Horses which have won a flat race run under the Rules of any Recognised Racing Authority and which have run in or completed fewer than three flat races under such Rules.

8.2.1.1 Horses placed second,
8.2.1.2 Horses placed third,
8.2.1.3 Horses placed fourth
in a flat race run under the Rules of any Recognised Racing Authority and which have run in or completed fewer than three flat races under such Rules.

Note: Priority will be given to those horses with the greater number of placings in the order shown above.

8.2.2 Horses which have not run in a flat race run under the Rules of any Recognised Racing Authority.
8.2.3 Horses which have run in or completed fewer than three flat races run under the Rules of any Recognised Racing Authority.
8.2.4 Horses which, in the opinion of the Handicapper, have the highest flat race Handicap Ratings or, if they do not qualify for an official rating under these Rules, have the highest assessment made by the Authority's Handicapper;

(Note: With regard to horses not covered under points 1-4 above and which do not have a Handicap Rating at the Time of Entry, the Handicapper may decline to allot a rating or give an assessment of a horse if he does not have sufficient information upon which to make his decision. The Handicapper's decision under such circumstances shall be final).

8.2.5 Horses with the least number of unplaced runs in flat races run under the Rules of any Recognised Racing Authority.

Schedule 8 - Elimination or balloting procedures

Part A

1.1 Part A of this Schedule applies to all flat race Handicaps other than Heritage Handicaps, Nursery Handicaps and such other flat race Handicaps with an advertised rating range of more than 20lb.

Part B

2.1 Part B of this Schedule applies to all Heritage Handicaps, Nursery Handicaps and such other flat race Handicaps with an advertised rating range of more than 20lb and all steeple chase and hurdle race Handicaps other than the Grand National Steeple Chase.

Part C

3.1 Part C of this Schedule applies to the Grand National Steeple Chase.

Part D

4.1 Part D of this Schedule applies to all pattern and Listed Races and Conditions Stakes races other than Handicaps.

Part E

5.1 Part E of this Schedule applies to all Classified Stakes races, Rating Related Maiden Races and classified Claiming Races.

I've added the explanations of the other parts above, but it's Part F which is the one of interest regarding the entries for Diamond Bob, which I presume is what you want.

Last edited:
Yes I can see that now! Didn't have ballot up yesterday & I was ahead of myself! That race is first choice to divide too.

Back