Epsom Trainers Open Day

• Thread starter Thread starter ItalianStallion
  • Start date Start date
I

ItalianStallion

Will anyone be going?

After my first open day at John Dunlops I loved it and have been looking for another opportunity to expierance the same thing.

If anyone has gone before, have you got anything to say about the day?

Cheers

Went last year,it's a good day.

Get there nice and early and there should be horses on the gallops and a stalls entry demo at the racecourse. (if it's the same as last year).

Then use the buses provided to get from one stable to the other and then back to the racecourse for the afternoon entertainment which includes the Shetland Pony Derby.

Cheers Arkwright, I'll be leaving early to see the gallops.

Do you know if you can touch the horses? thats the best part as you can really interact with them.

Tracy with be there in her post as Official Photrographer. She left here at 5.15 this morning, having let dogs out and fed them which gave me an oppo for a very,very rare lie-in!!!!

Just got in and I had a marvellous day and saw some well known faces

Started off at 9am on the tattenham corner listening to all the trainers then watching their horses come up the gallops which then lead onto the stalls practice and bloody hell!! do they leave them stalls in a hurry - It really made me appricate the balance of a jockey and the speed of the horse.

Went down to the get the bus and managed to see all 7 trainers but my favourite was Michael Attwater because I nearlly got my head taken off by a horse called Ymir - As I was reading his description on the door he swung round and took a chunk out of my shoulder lol but I have to say his yard left some fantastic reviews on the horses, a few I rememberd was Ramona Chase has just been brought by new owners but he is one nutty horse that kept swinging his head around from side to side also Micheal Attwater calls L'Hirondelle "Ronaldo" lol.

Also like Roger Ingrams yard especially Pickles? how sweet is that thing and had a 7 year old kid dragging it around all day saying the bigger horses were mean horses lol, but the yard is very close and found myself opening up towards kind staff there that was really nice and Silver Grey was definatly a nice horse, but there is also another horse in the yard I regret forgetting his name now although she might have been unamed but she is probally the biggest 2yo I have ever seen and the notice on the door said she will go chasing p.s Double Valentine doesnt like being fed by males lol.

I liked J Boyles, although we werent meant to touch them they had a horse in the spar which was really good and I got to see the speed freak Al Gillani but just to note some of the horses had the wierdest toys to play with lol.

The main grandstand was fun especially the dog racing which got out of hand but I managed to see the camals before heading off for a barbeque which signalled the end of the day for me and wished I had got more sleep the previous night to see out the day but for £12 all in all that was superb and you can add me to the list next year!

I've never been involved but I understand the Lambourne open day on Good Friday is really entertaining & value for money.

Pickles is ancient; she's seriously about 30 years old, possibly even more and usually roams loose around the yard. If the 7 year old kid you are talking about was a girl, she's a bit older than that - about 9 or 10, and regularly competes on her own ponies. I doubt you'll have gotten near to Kalligal without the ears going back and trying to take a chunk out either!

SL,

I can't find any information on Pickles through the internet but on Roger's website he mentions she is 42 years old, now that has to be the oldest horse in history? was she a proper race horse or..?

There was a horse reputed to be 60+ a year or so back though it's not been possible to confirm this as such from the pics I saw it was certainly 40++.

From an Equine Forum ""Copper, a gelding who is believed to be a mixed Morgan breed, would have been born in 1953, during the first Eisenhower administration. He’s outlived much higher-profile equines, including all three horse-racing Triple Crown winners born in his lifetime. "
The above was published in 2004.

She certainly is very old, IS - Sharon used to ride him as a child. She may well be as old as 42, I know she is very, very old in equine terms and I couldn't quite believe how old she was when initially told it.

I think Pickles would have struggled to have been a racehorse since she's smaller than 10 hands high! :D

Did you see Bucket when you were there IS? He's a sweetheart, along with Derby.

I can't remember the name Bucket or Derby but as you enter the stables there are two relatively old horses one of which was 19 years of age and he has his backside to the public for about 30 minutes lol

Neither of them are old, they are both horses currently in training - Bucket a three year old (Maison D'Or) and Derby a four year old (Stylish Mover). The horses in the first part of the yard aren't in training.

Sorry to bring this thread up again,

But i've just logged on RP and typed in the name of a horse I really like from Simon Dow's yard to see when its running next but it comes up as trained by Pascal Bary and owned by Khalid Abudulla.

I've checked the breeding and its the same horse and has run twice in France this year, could anyone shed some light on this please? has it left Pascal's for Simon Dow then and RP are just slow in updating their website?

Has he run for Simon Dow yet?

It might be that the Post will not alter the details until he has had a run for his new trainer, that's a guess (hopefully, slightly educated) by the way.

Details of connections, or the naming of an unraced horse in the RP database isn't usually updated until a horse has been given an entry in a race.

Back