Exceed & Excel

Grand Armee

At the Start
Darley purchased this horse back in 2004 from Nick Moraitis, about a month before he was sent to the UK. At the time he was sold at an Australian record of $22 million, with the intention of being a racing and breeding proposition.

Four years on, the son of Danehill currently has his first crop of 2yo's racing in Australia. The expectation at the sales was quite high last year, especially when he sold several for $1 million. I remember inspecting about 3 myself with another racing friend, and we both agreed, they were the absolute pick of all the stallions at Inglis Easter.

Amazingly, this stallion, with just the one crop racing at present is leading not only the First Season Sires' Table, but also the 2YO Sires' Table. He is around $400,000 in front of the former Champion Australian Sire, Redoute's Choice in the 2YO Sires' List. To date he has had 7 winners, from just 17 starters. Of those 7 winners, 4 are stakes winners, of which 3 are Group winners.

Here are pictures of some of his winners to date:

BentleyMan.jpg

Bentley Man - winner at Canterbury Park
Picture courtesy of Darley UK

Exceedingly_Good.jpg

Exceedingly Good - Group 3 Maribyrnong Plate and Listed Maribyrnong stakes winner
Photo courtesy of www.stallions.com.au

Sugar_Babe.jpg

Sugar Babe - Listed Debutant Stakes winner
Photo courtesy of www.stallions.com.au

wilander2.jpg

Wilander - Group 3 Blue Diamond Prelude (C&G) winner, debut winner at Ballarat by 8 Lengths
Photo courtesy of Greg Irvine @ The Virtual Formguide

r4believensucceed.jpg

Believe'N'Succeed - Group 3 Blue Diamond Prelude (F) winner
Photo courtesy of Quentin J Lang Photography

He was some horse alright, glad his kids are doing the stuff, and thanks for posting up the pics

What price in a few years time Exceedingly Good's first colt is named Mr Kipling :P

He's made a very impressive start at stud, it will be interesting to see how his first northern hemisphere crop perform.

Originally posted by Headstrong@Feb 22 2008, 10:45 PM
He was some horse alright, glad his kids are doing the stuff, and thanks for posting up the pics

What price in a few years time Exceedingly Good's first colt is named Mr Kipling :P
So long as they keep that silly girl who just goes "exceedingly" off the track we'll be ok HS.

Really liking Wilander though Leish :)

In the past 7 days, Giotta was placed 3rd behind Sebring in the Listed Canonbury Stakes at Randwick, for the colts and geldings. So another nice stakes horse for Exceed And Excel! :clap:

The first of the big Group 1 races for the 2yo's is on today, the Blue Diamond Stakes, over 1200m. I am going for Reean in this race, though wouldn't be surprised if Exceed And Excel either sires the quinella or trifecta with Wilander and Exceedingly Good.

Ran 2nd Last. Like a lot of people here, I am still unsure what to make of the Blue Diamond Stakes of this year. The horse that won, Reaan (owned by the Maktoums) was on the best part of the track, as were the placegetters.

I think the race could be run over another 1000 times, and there would be a different result each one of those times.

Exceed and excel has been tipped by a few to succeed in the NH.Looking forward to seeing them run. I made enquiries about buying one from the farm but was told to go away in not so many words.

If you can afford to get one now Sheikh, honestly buy it.

The word is that his fee is likely to rise to over $100,000 in Australia next spring. Should he succeed further in Australia and Europe in the coming weeks, it will definitely go over that amount.

Some of the yearlings were selling upwards to $1 million.

I can't actually at this stage afford to buy one at the sales that's why I was chancing my arm with the farm. If he performs as they think he will anything by him will sell well. Like what happened to the invincible spirits.

Darley must be really excited about the prospect of standing this son of Danehill particularly if his success his long lasting and is transferred to his European progeny as well.

Back