Fabulous Jet - Whats Best For The Horse?

crazyhorse

At the Start
When discussing horses all of us, incl. me, have often used the expression "the trainer will do whats best for the horse".

Fabulous Jet, a decent little horse anway, looked good when running out two seemingly easy wins, but I wonder whether it really was in his best interest to run three days later to finish a rather tired 2nd and then 2 days later to fall at the last when well held. Why do trainers campaign a horse like this?

Yes, is the only logical reply.

As we know, sprinters often get turned out quickly and some seem to take it but jumpers, forget it. Some have been successful and coming 2nd like that proves how game this horse is. But he may not be so willing now!

Even the Racing Post make mentiion of this. :(

"Fabulous Jet would have finished fifth but for falling and his hectic recent schedule seems to have caught up with him. "

This sort of thing makes me very angry. I just hope the owner and/or trainer get suitably humbled by comments like the RP’s, that is, if they can manage to see past the pound signs.

Is there not some limit as to how many times a horse can be ran over a period of time?

I've said before I think Evan Williams is very hard on his horses - he's somewhere down the bottom of the list of trainers I might put a horse with. I was incensed to see this horse who owes connections nothing out again so soon, and I wouldn't be surprised if he now falls out of love with the game - which would serve them right. One wonders too what he did to State Of Play to get him to win the Hennessy, given Webber didn't think much of him and he's done zilch since the race.

I can't really comment on this front, because it was my fault Stargazy ran so poor at Kempton, it was greed of wanting to get out quickly without seriously considering the effect that a few races in a short space of time can do.

After he freshen up he ran so much better even off his revised mark.

Well, obviously there is a difference between jumps and flat, and there certainly are execptions to every rule, and some horses take it better than others. In the case of Fabulous Jet I think it was plain obvious that the horse felt his timetable already when 2nd, although this sure enough is a good run as such the horse was clearly very tired. Have to admit I am with Headstrong, and even though I very much like State of Play whom we had at long odds when he won in Aintree, its right to say that ever since Evan Williams told the racing world how to train horses (after SoP won the Hennessey) its been distincly downhill for him. There was an interview with him in the Pacemaker after and I found him very - arrogant would probably be the right word.

CH there is no harm in running in-form sprinters quickly when they are on a winning streak, as soon as they've had enough they stop winning and you can rest them! 5flgs doesn't take that much out of them. Mid distance horses, and Chasers and hurdlers are another matter. Running Fabulous Jet again the last day bordered on cruelty imo - and was stupid if it wasn't cruel.

Originally posted by Rayeburn@Feb 27 2008, 11:24 AM
Is there not some limit as to how many times a horse can be ran over a period of time?
Horses may now only race once in a day.

I think this rule was brought in about 10 years or so ago, although dead heats have been divided for more than 100 years.

i told you the truth about williams 15 months ago and I had members castigating me. it all comes out in the wash over time.

Originally posted by Venusian@Feb 27 2008, 05:36 PM
Horses may now only race once in a day.

I think this rule was brought in about 10 years or so ago, although dead heats have been divided for more than 100 years.
Thanks Venusian.

I do now recall hearing that somewhere before but got confused as to one day or two. I can only presume it’s reasoning would be to allow a trainer to race a horse one or two days apart very occasionally, as a sensible trainer would see fit. Pity some appear to take it too literally.

Back