Fault

Colin Phillips

At the Start
A nice win for the Roger Charlton 2-y-o yesterday and all the usual Royal Ascot comments.

He is a nice type and won well but there was some peculiar goings-on.

Inside Knowledge, owned by K. Abdulla and trained by Amanda Perrett looked as if he needed the run and showed distinct signs of "coltishness", from the moment he walked into the paddock until he was ridden on to the course, yet there was a lot of money for him 'on course' and he was probably the best backed in the race. Never got into the race.

The favourite Robin The Till, ridden by Richard Hughes and drawn in stall one went left when the stalls opened and instead of straightening him, Hughesy allowed him to go to the far rail, he was soon out of contention and I thought that Hughes might get a bit of a slagging from the punters and the press. I haven't read anything that suggests he dropped a bollock.

My first visit to Windsor, by the way, it was a lovely day and it's a beautiful spot. The actual viewing of the races wasn't as bad as I had been led to believe.

They might well be right, Gareth, but it looked to me as if Hughes very quickly made his mind to let the horse go where he wanted to and throw away any chance the horse had of winning.

Not slagging Hughsey here, I'm a fan if anything, but I thought others would be, especially after the run of the Channon filly in the Guineas.

I was at Windsor too, Colin - it was a late decision to be honest but as it is only 15 mins away I decided to go especially as my Dad was going to be there too. It was very busy as it was a Bank Holiday. Great to see Gay Kelleway having yet another winner at a course she doesn't often send horses too. I was at Brighton when Punching won, so great to see the horse follow that up. I left early to miss some of the traffic.

Will you visit again, Colin?

No real reason not to, Kathy.

But it's not the easiest track for me to get to and most of their meetings are held in the evening.

It is a lovely spot and the trip back to the town on the river-boat was really enjoyable, I was walking into a pub at 5.35, not bad considering the last race didn't finish until 5.10!

I'm thinking of buying one of those houses that back onto the river, you know, the one's with a motor cruiser tied up at the jetty at the bottom of the garden.

Might to have to win a lottery or two first though.

It is a lovely course, Colin! You certainly picked the right day to attend. The evening meetings will start becoming popular again now the summer evenings are upon us. The boat journey is a perfect way to start and end the day, especially as many of us end up in a lovely Italian restaurant in Windsor after the racing.

Really glad you enjoyed it and if you are doing a write up - I would love to read it! :)

I will be, Kathy........just started it in fact, I will send you a copy..........if I remember, perhaps you could remind me around the end of this month!

For clarity, it won't take that long to write but that's when the issue is due out.

Post it up here, Colin. I am sure I am not the only one who enjoys reading about your visits to various racecourses. :)

Back