Female Jockeys

harry

At the Start
There seems to be an ever increasing number of really good female jockeys.
Obviously Nina is the queen and Katie Walsh has been around for a long time too but we have Briony Frost, Lisa O'Neil and more getting great rides out of their horses.

The one that I still can't work out is Anastasia O'Brien; she seems really poor to me?

It would be good to know how some of you rate the current lady riders and is there any up and coming newbies to watch out for?

Gina Andrews, Emily Easterby (Flat amateur races), Brodie Hampson all very good.

Tabitha Worsley been around a few years and most of her rides are on her mum's horses over jumps but she's very good too.

Antonia Peck v impressive so far too from a very limited number of rides (think 4 or 5 P2P, a few Arab races & 4 or 5 under Rules).

Martin

Last edited:
Rachel Blackmore has been very good whenever I've seen her.

She's so good, you can't tell she is a woman. :whistle:

Rachel Blackmore won four races this past two days at Tipperary. One flat two year maiden, the Grade 3 feature hurdle and two chases today.
The poor twat that emailed ATR Saturday saying she should retire after losing her confidence must wish their wi fi was down.
Tommy Carberry won over all codes at Killarney May meeting in 1979 and may have done so after; Owen Weldon won flat and hurdle race one day and tried to replace John Harty in the final chase but John was having none of it !
Other than those gents this is a rare occurrence and should be celebrated by all racing fans.

Don Mobile did so also at Tramore festival years ago which is some achievement for any horse in four days.

Last edited:
Excellent rider, horses really jump for her and when one of Henry's for a change didn't today (Ellie Mac) she had the composure not to put the mare on her head early on and hunt her into the race instead.

I am seriously thinking of backing Rachel Blackmore in a double to win the Grand national and be the first female POTUS. She is awesome no argument required.

On the flat we are lagging behind Australia. where 40% of all apprentices are now female.

Linda Meech who is still going strong has ridden almost twice as many winners as Haley Turner and Jamie Kah is currently on a 32% strike rate.

The course there don't have anything like Epsom or Lingfield but they are tight and on the turn.

Being in the right place at the right rime round these Chester-like tracks takes a lot of skill something these Aussie girls seem to have plenty of.

Off the top of your head can anyone name some female Irish flat jockeys and apprentices? Can't think of any but 5 stand out in Britain Hayley and Josie top of the pile followed by Hollie Doyle, Nicola Currie and Rachel Richardson with Jane Elliot and Poppy Bridgewater also doing well recently.

Bryony frost is brilliant especially on chasers.
Rachael Blackmore and Josephine are also top class.
If i owned horses id definately put any of those up.

Back