Ferdy Murphy

Colin Phillips

At the Start
Story on RP site about him working his Cheltenham hopes at Doncaster.

Just made me think that he has had a quiet season.

Have never been a big fan of this man, wouldn't buy a pre-used car off him.

Story on RP site about him working his Cheltenham hopes at Doncaster.

Just made me think that he has had a quiet season.

Have never been a big fan of this man, wouldn't buy a pre-used car off him.

He always seems to sneak a winner at Cheltenham though....and that winner always beats my horse:mad:

He has a festival record second to none. He gets his horses handicapped early and puts them away. Not one for slogging them on heavy unsuitable ground so they get to cheltenham fresh.as for pre used cars, stick to main dealers!

It's a bit of a falacy that every horse Ferdy has is a touch horse. His style of training may be cotraversial but that's because he's old school and set in his ways.

Some may remember the Wynbury Flyer incident. A pig of a thing Ferdy bought to give young boys a bit of experience and the stewards said he stopped it. "The thing wouldn't have won that race with half the track of a start said Ferdy "yer all mad the best that thing will ever do is win a seller""

3 races later it won a seller.......now that's what I call honest:rolleyes:

Sure he lands touches. Great believer in letting horses come to themslves and when one shows marked improvement at home why not? He likes to gamble and like the rest of us have things in our favour.

He gets them ready for Cheltenham like all trainers do. It's not a lot different to someone like PN sending one out that gets beat and him saying he needed the run after the punters have lost their cash and then saying that should put him right for Cheltenham.

Most trainers who do and say that could have had the horse fitter for the race it lost but that would be plain stupid as come the big day they could be very well over the top.

He's just Ferdy Murphy to me an instantly likeable charachter and I have no problems with the man.

He's had a shocking season, and if he manages to get Divers or Kalahari to win this year he's a genius! Ive had horses with him in the past and he's a lovely bloke but in my view there needs to be some major investment in the yard. He'll only get that by getting new owners in, and he'll only get new owners by putting in a few more winners. It cant all be about getting them ready for one week of the year.

Had a good chat with him atAyr a few years ago-thought it was decent of him seeing as I had no connection with the stable.

He's had a shocking season, and if he manages to get Divers or Kalahari to win this year he's a genius! Ive had horses with him in the past and he's a lovely bloke but in my view there needs to be some major investment in the yard. He'll only get that by getting new owners in, and he'll only get new owners by putting in a few more winners. It cant all be about getting them ready for one week of the year.

You mean he needs some good horses?

Back