Festival Ante-Post Portfolio

Grasshopper

Senior Jockey
This thread for your real bets, and wholly unrelated to the Ante-Post Competition.

I am heavily involved already with a number of Ricci runners. This is a bit of a change in policy for me, as at this stage of the season, I'm usually looking to back outers, and rarely have any solid, shorties going for me this far out.

Singles
Vautour: Multiple Gold Cup singles (8/1), KG/GC double (18/1) and a Triple Crown single (33/1)

Doubles
Vautour (GC 8/1) & Faugheen (CH 2/1)
Min (Arkle 8/1) & Douvan (QMCC 1/1)
Vautour (GC 8/1) & Douvan (QMCC 1/1)
Senewalk (Supreme 10/1) & Douvan (QMCC 1/1)

Trebles
Vautour (GC 8/1), Faugheen (CH 2/1) & Douvan (6/4 & 1/1)

E/W Treble
Vautour (GC 8/1), Senewalk (Supreme 10/1) & Min (Arkle 8/1)

4-Fold
Vautour (GC 8/1), Faugheen (CH 2/1), Douvan (6/4 & 1/1) & Min (Arkle 8/1)

Yankee

5-Fold
Vautour (GC 8/1), Faugheen (CH 2/1), Douvan (6/4 & 1/1), Min (Arkle 8/1) & Senewalk (Supreme 10/1)
Vautour (Ryanair 2/1), Faugheen (CH 2/1), Douvan (6/4 & 1/1), Min (Arkle 8/1) & Senewalk (Supreme 10/1)

E/W Canadian
Vautour (GC 8/1), Faugheen (CH 2/1), Douvan (6/4 & 1/1), Min (Arkle 8/1) & Senewalk (Supreme 10/1)

I'm probably fu*cked already.

Last edited:
Cards very much on the table, grass!!! I vowed after last year that I wouldn't have a bet without NRNB conditions......... I'm already wavering!!!

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

From another thread - all win single bets

identity thief - arkle

new to this town - 3 m novice hurdle

sub lieutenant - Ryanair

sutton place - rsa

Will add a few multiples very soon and take prices on some of the bigger prices for the GC

Last edited:
This thread for your real bets, and wholly unrelated to the Ante-Post Competition.

I am heavily involved already with a number of Ricci runners. This is a bit of a change in policy for me, as at this stage of the season, I'm usually looking to back outers, and rarely have any solid, shorties going for me this far out.

Singles
Vautour: Multiple Gold Cup singles (8/1), KG/GC double (18/1) and a Triple Crown single (33/1)

Doubles
Vautour (GC 8/1) & Faugheen (CH 2/1)
Min (Arkle 8/1) & Douvan (QMCC 1/1)
Vautour (GC 8/1) & Douvan (QMCC 1/1)
Senewalk (Supreme 10/1) & Douvan (QMCC 1/1)

Trebles
Vautour (GC 8/1), Faugheen (CH 2/1) & Douvan (6/4 & 1/1)
Senewalk (Supreme 10/1) & Min (Arkle 8/1)

E/W Treble
Vautour (GC 8/1), Senewalk (Supreme 10/1) & Min (Arkle 8/1)

4-Fold

Yankee

5-Fold
Vautour (Ryanair 2/1), Faugheen (CH 2/1), Douvan (6/4 & 1/1), Min (Arkle 8/1) & Senewalk (Supreme 10/1)

E/W Canadian

I'm probably fu*cked already.

At least you have put V in the Ryanair in one !

Josies Orders @ 4/1
Yorkhill @ 6/1
Faugheen @ 2/1
Douvan @ 6/4
Yankee

Josies Orders @ 4/1
Yorkhill @ 6/1 RSA
Faugheen @ 2/1
Douvan @ 6/4
4 Folds,

Thistlecrack @ 10/1 GC
Faugheen @ 2/1
Douvan @ 6/4
Treble

Death Duty @ 20/1
Douvan @ 1/1
Yorkhill @ 4/1
Faugheen @ 2/1
Jezki @ 14/1
Thistlecrack @ 3/1
Vautour @ 7/2
Coneygree @ 12/1
8 Folds,

Death Duty @ 20/1
Douvan @ 1/1
Yorkhill @ 4/1
Faugheen @ 2/1
Jezki @ 14/1
Thistlecrack @ 3/1
Vautour @ 7/2
Coneygree @ 12/1
7 Folds

Death Duty @ 20/1
Douvan @ 1/1
Yorkhill @ 4/1
Faugheen @ 2/1
Jezki @ 14/1
Thistlecrack @ 3/1
Vautour @ 7/2
Coneygree @ 12/1
6 Folds

Last edited:
From another thread - all win single bets

identity thief - arkle

new to this town - 3 m novice hurdle

sub lieutenant - Ryanair

sutton place - rsa

Will add a few multiples very soon and take prices on some of the bigger prices for the GC

Prices, PJ?

I am trying very hard to be restrained and this is it so far:

Barters Hill - 14/1 Any Race
Shantou Village - 25/1 - RSA
On The Fringe - 6/1 - Foxhunters (Very small)

I'm trying to limit myself to Festival A/P with winnings from day to day betting. Previous recent experience has had me looking much more at the Win Any Race markets. Having said that, the only bet so far in my portfolio is Douvan for the Gold Cup at 16/1. I know he's more likely to be in the QM but, given the question marks against those above him in the betting, I think it represents fair value.

These are some of my multiples, hold tight..

7-Fold:
Altior - Arkle Chase 2017 @ 3/1, Annie Power - Champion Hurdle 2017 @ 7/2, Don Cossack - Gold Cup 2017 @ 8/1, Vautour - King George VI Chase 2016 3/1, Sprinter Sacre - Queen Mother Champion Chase 2017 @ 4/1, Vroum Vroum Mag - Mares Hurdle 5/2, Faugheen - World Hurdle 2017 @ 11/4

6-Fold:

Altior - Arkle Chase 2017 @ 3/1, Faugheen - Champion Hurdle 2017 @ 11/4, Coneygree - King George VI Chase 2016 @ 8/1, Don Cossack - Gold Cup 2017 @ 10/1, Black Hercules - Ryanair Chase 2017 @ 8/1, Sprinter Sacre - Queen Mother Champion Chase 2017 @ 4/1

5-Fold:
Vautour - King George VI Chase 2016 @ 3/1, Altior - Arkle Chase 2017 @ 4/1, Faugheen - Champion Hurdle 2017 @ 11/4, Buveur Dair - JLT Novices Chase @ 12/1, Don Cossack - Gold Cup 2017 @ 10/1

4-Fold:
Altior - Arkle Chase 2017 @ 4/1, Coneygree - Gold Cup 2017 @ 10/1, Faugheen - Champion Hurdle 2017 @ 11/4, Buveur Dair - JLT Novices Chase @ 12/1

Basically, I covered the following with some variations:
Altior, Faugheen - the main bankers of all my multiples, for Arkle and CH
Coneygree - GC or KG
Vautour - KG
Buveur Dair - JLT
Don Cossack - GC
Sprinter Sacre - CC
Black Hercules - Ryanair

Just in case Mullins decides to ruin everything and they all lose I have Faugheen for WH at 5/1. I also have him in couple accas for that just in case .. Ruby, RR, Mullins..

If Festival ante-post betting has been 'ruined', it's by the introduction of additional races, which now give owners/trainers more options. For the most part, it is a complete crap-shoot trying to guess where a novice is going to run.

Arkle:
Buveur D'Air 18s

Champion Hurdle:
Yanworth 22s

RSA
Barter's Hill 20s

JLT:
Buveur D'Air 14s

World Hurdle:
Shaneshill 18s

Gold Cup:
Djakadam 24s

Any Race:
Barter's Hill 14s

Last edited:
Only 3 for me so far, but planning on decent bets on all 3:

Senewalk - Supreme
Barters Hill - RSA (will back with WH to win any race also)
Vautour - Gold Cup (will try and cover stakes with the WH any race at 7/2).

I don't see the point in backing anything antepost as invariably the offers around the day of race throw up another angle. (That's with the festival). The only way I would have a bet is if I knew a short price fav or a few ahead of something in the market had alternative races in mind, or if I was getting very good odds, 50s plus. I have lost track of the number of ante post bets I have had that have amounted to nothing, or gone off a better price on the day.

Its probably more of a reflection of my picking than ante post betting itself!!

My biggest antepost bet ever was €200 each way on Lord Sam for the RSA a number of years back, 16/1 or so I think. Got bad hampered 2 out and finished 4th.....I was a college student at the time, it was a huge bet for me then!! Got promoted to 3rd in the stewards room afterwards and I got paid out.

The following year had it backed for the RSA chase, pulled out the morning of the race with an infection. Nightmare.

Probably true, del, but it has nevertheless not stopped me going a bit mental during the summer.

Re Lord Sam, he racked-up a load of points for us in the official TTF competition in his novice hurdle and chase seasons, and is an old fave. He was a good oul yoke, but a bit of a madman at his fences, and he never really recovered from the fall behind Grey Abbey in the Charlie Hall.

Last edited:
Yeah won a lot of races, suffered from sinus problems I believe. Would be my fav horse of all time. He wasn't a natural fencer though!! Broke my heart a few days.

That being said, if there was an award for a horse that gave me the most painful moments and lost me the must money it was zaarito, colm Murphy trained. Absolute disaster that yolk.

Back