Finding a stride

mrussell

At the Start
Occasionally I've seen a horse approaching a fence & you can see it's just not going to jump it ok.
When this happens, it's also the case that the jockey is 'just sitting' there & really that's the indication to me that the horse will fall.
When a jockey actively puts the horse to the fence, that seems to indicate all is well.

Please bear in mind that I know tremendously little about riding and even less about race riding and as for those + obstacles, well, it's mind-boggling what I don't know.

I'm hoping for some enlightening posts on what jockeys do, what they should do & who are the best at getting a horse to a fence on the right stride.

Oh, and Happy New Year, All! :)

Recently I've seen Tony McCoy running horses down fences to get the right stride. Haven't seen him do this much over the years.

It's something I've often wondered about too, Michael.

The best jockeys seem to see the stride for the horse. There was one guy the other day - can't remember his name - who seemed to misread the stride every time. That can't help the horse at all.

I'll have a bash, but there'll be others better at describing this for you. You want to try to meet an obstacle - whether you're just putzing around at home, in a showjumping arena, or hurtling towards a downhill hurdle on board a wayward novice - in a manner to produce the best possible jump for what you're doing. That sounds daft, but if you can't see the stride coming up for yourself, it's best to let the horse fiddle itself over as best it can. When you're pretty sure you've got that magic last three strides into the fence right, you can push on, since the horse only wants your support. When you think 'oh, feck, I'm not sure whether to ask for a long one or shorten him up', it's best to leave well alone. A professional horse will sort it out for you, 9 times out of 10, and save your blushes. Niggling and faffing away will simply, literally, put him off his stride, so sit still, and wait. That often means a monster leap like that by the wonderful, but thoroughly experienced, MISTER MCGOLDRICK, soaring over from a clear stride away from a normal take-off point, or else getting in a bit close and coming up with a diddly little one past the point of optimum take-off. That tends to lose a bit of momentum as the horse has to rise more steeply to take the jump, and, in an inexperienced or harrassed horse, can see them pitch on landing.

The take-off point for a horse is where it can make the best possible shape over the jump, clear it without mishap, and land in a position to immediately take up running or getting ready for the next one (in the case of showjumping). The optimum shape over a chase jump or show jump is a parabolic curve (or just plain parabola), from take-off to landing. If your horse has short, choppy strides, he's likely to make a much less graceful parabola than a long-striding one, where it can be quite long and low. The importance of 'shape' is that it determines how fluently the horse incorporates the obstacles into his galloping - if he consistently won't obey instructions to attack his fences, such as always shortening up before take-off, we all know the result - there are breaks in the momentum and he can easily be outjumped in the air by a bolder horse. The better the fluidity of the arc over the jump, the better the ability to keep going on t'other side.

How lovely this sight is, in chasing, depends often on the going: we've been seeing a lot of rather triangular shapes of late, where desperately-tired animals have been lifting themselves almost vertically, because they're too tired to make a bold leap over the jumps, and coming down sharply, just about able to canter on. When they're so tired, some can't get a front lead leg out fast enough, resulting in a tired, pitching fall.

Conversely, hurdling over Good ground often sees a flying take-off, a flat shape through the air, and a very low landing point, yards from the obstacle. Most hurdlers don't need to make a 'good' shape since they're not required to set themselves up for hurdles in the way that chasers need to set themselves to clear their much heftier and far more solid jumps. The booting into hurdles usually comes at the end of the race, encouraging the horse on, with little real attempt to 'present' to the obstacle.

I would say that when you say you see a horse looking likely to fall, be aware that the jockey is probably even more painfully aware! You do get a sense of the rhythm going wrong, or a headstrong/naughty/nutty horse just not being respectful, and that is why the jock will 'just sit there' - there's no point encouraging an even faster cartwheel!

Last edited:
oh, my pet topic ! well, really you have to revert to showjumping to understand how a horse jumps, and in fact how difficult it is for a horse to meet a fence at the right spot. in showjumping you have the riders walking the course to actually measure the strides a horse needs to complete proper, actually down the last galopp stride. I will never forget when one very famous german showjump-rider said after his ride in the Derby that this year his horse needed one stride more than last year ! chase fences are very demanding and in fact a horse normally would have to meet it perfectly, but adding the pace they ride, the bunch they are in and the jockey who is not always a help, this is only sometimes the case. obviously a horse does not fall all the time it meets a fence wrong, but thats when the awkward clearing come in, and it does not help the horse. its very improtant to get into a rythm, and when that happens its the perfect round, say like Kauto in Kempton. A showjumping course is obviously built to the meter so horses can use so many strides in between, but I very much diubt this is the case on a NH course. experienced horses will learn to an extend to approach the fence at the "right" stride, and a good jockey should think ahead and see ahead too, but shockingly few do.

Is it right to assume that the jockey can tell that a horse is in the right stride 20 yards or so before the fence? Just as we, when running or walking, can tell when we come to a kerb that we're going to meet it 'right' or not, say in mid-stride?

If a jockey can tell, do they have a technique (and time?) for shortening or lengthening a horse's stride in good time -- not just before take-off?
Going by what was said earlier about AP taking a horse along a fence, I guess the answer to this is 'no'.

A good rider will have a clue as to how many strides his particular horse is going to need to take off at the optimum point, mrussell, but the big diff between the analogy with showjumping is that in showjumping there's only one horse going for the jump - a showjumper will often have been with his horse for many years (some jumpers are still in the game at 20, for example - and IT'S OTTO retired from top international competing at 22!), while all jockeys will be offered first-time mounts over and over again.

So, although you should be able to 'see' the stride, as you rightly point out with your analogy to seeing a kerb, there is the problem of being put off it by someone leaning in on you, or the horse being put off by seeing one of his compadres fly over it in front of him, and taking off then, instead of when he should! So 'best-laid plans' and all that. But overall, yes, once you have the (literal) measure of your horse's particular way of going, you will have a good idea if he's likely to need pushing on into the jump (to lengthen the stride into it) or correcting for a shorter one.

To lengthen: you still need contact with the bit, so no floppy, flappy reins, but sit down a bit into the horse, squeeeze with legs, kick behind the girth. Keeping a good contact with the horse's mouth keeps it balanced - letting it 'get into the bridle'. Losing contact will often unbalance it - think about Sam Thomas's unfortunate clatter with KAUTO STAR, when he went into the jump at which they fell, with his reins suddenly flapping - even a top pro like KS can become suddenly confused by the lack of 'instruction'. You assume almost the position of a jockey riding out a finish for a stride or two - it's the 'go' position to your horse.

To shorten: sit up a little (brings the weight a little further back), just rein back gently (by shortening the reins) to collect the horse (which asks him to shorten) and, if the horse looks in need of help coming to a jump, give him a little tap on the shoulder a stride before and on take-off, possibly raise hands a little to indicate 'gerrup!'. Once he's landed safely, you can give him a little kick to send him on, but if you're shortening up in chasing, no need to leg him into the obstacle.

About running down the jumps: it's usually a tiring horse doing that, as you'll have seen dozens of times. Taking an upright head-on sometimes looks more daunting when you're half-knackered than angling your way over it, although it's not really a trait to be encouraged, mostly because you can so easily knock your opponent alongside for six. Alternatively, some horses have been allowed to develop a one-sidedness in their jumping (not a lot, but a few), which has gone uncorrected. There's no harm in McCoy allowing a horse to occasionally fiddle/angle its way over, because it might be better to do that than shove it forcefully into a head-on approach which leads to a possible clatter. It's particularly true of more novicey horses that they may do some angled jumps - maybe he's just letting some of them get confidence for now, rather than too strongly trying to correct them in the hurly-burly of a race?

race-riding has very little to do with proper riding, as the jockeys stirrups are way too short to be effective in helping the horse. I am not too familiar with riding terms in english, but a rider uses his weight, his legs, his balance and to a small extend the reins to guide a horse, and the legs and his weight really do not come into it as a jockey sits too high on the horse, in order to help him galopp better. even though jockeys in england / ireland are far better educated than say in germany, still far too many are not proper "riders" as such and would struggle to complete a dressage or a showjumping-course, but there is no way around the fact that that are the basics of horseriding and would stand every jockey in good steat (?). dont forget that francome did come via showjumping into NH and he -after all- was one of the best, as are all them we call great jockeys, carberry, murphy etc. murphy for example "lost" the race on well chief as he went safe at the last, allowing well chief to drift in order to meet the fence at the right stride, but losing ground as he did not attack it. franchoek yesterday was another negative example as he kept getting too close to the fence, as he did not like it and kept putting another step in, losing momentum all the time. as jockeys cannot use theirs legs as effectively as showjump-riders, they in effect can only do so much to actually help the horse.

Thanks Krizon & Crazyhorse for some really interesting material!:)

(btw CH, it's "in good stead") (your English is so much better than any other language that I speak.)

All of the above will make watching horses more interesting now.

You have to see a stride as far out as you can manage; some people can do it and some can't. Once you are into the final three strides you should do nothing and leave it to the horse as you're more likely to cock the striding up even more spectacularly if you interfere with the horse at this stage.

Which is why I was eternally grateful to the naturally talented little chap who used to whizz me effortlessly round the showjump ring - he made me look a damn sight better than I was or was ever likely to be! :o

Back