Fitzgeralditis...

Guest_

At the Start
Mick Fitz certainly seems to be the flavour of the month, on ATR virtually every day, on Channel 4 for the Cheltenham 3 days, extracts of his book in the Racing Post and Irish Field this week....he is comfortable in front of the camera but I am not sure he actually adds that much. Either way he has certainly found a bit to keep him busy since his retirement!

I think the jury is out on whether he could make up into a good commentator onair.

I'm not convinced that he wants to do this job. Such a shame he cannot ride at all. I think he would be much better suited to working with horses, especially young ones. Just talking about racing when you can do it seems half a life.

Has anyone else read his book? I like him a lot, both as a jockey and as a person. Okay, I know he was not the greatest, but he was certainly good and he rode some of my favourite horses. What I like about him is his honesty. And his empathy for the horses.

But I'm not liking this book. It's all over the place, very hard to follow the story, keeps flashing back and forth. At least unlike Timmy Murphy Mick does pay a lot of credit to the horses he has known, but I don't think it is a great read and I know nothing more about him than I did before.

I thought he came across really well in the coverage and seemed at ease in front of the cameras, the only complaint would be that he and Francome seem to be doing the same job and providing the same input, though thats a problem for C4 rather than the presenters themselves.

I suppose everyone would prefer it if we had endless days like today with Clod and Aussie Jim at Folkestone.
Still Thommo to look forward at Great Leighs on Thursday,he cannot be more annoying than he was there last Thursday night surely!!
As for the new lass Gina,oh dear.
Sounds very nervous but also appears to know little about her subject,oh well.

Micky Fitz is in a different league to that bunch of wasters.

Back