Fixtures Proposal

Is Betsmate right?

• Total voters

betsmate

At the Start
It has long been a gripe of mine that 'out of season' racing both hampers the build up to major events in our sport and damages the individual identities of each strand.

There have been plenty of National Hunt fans posts on this board about the annoying distraction of an AW race and its unbearable coverage immediately in advance of a major headline race.

Equally the interminable presence of a time-hogging and largely irrelevant 3m summer chase has no right to presence on a busy afternoon flat card in the summer.

Regrettably, I believe we are beyond the point of return for distinct horse racing seasons. Indeed some less conservative followers may enjoy a dual presence (although in my experience it is usually just fans who favour one denomination over the other enjoying an extended presence of their favoured option)

So why don't we compromise?

During the distinct NH season, flat and AW fixtures could be permitted, but take place only on days where no Grade 1 races are scheduled and never on Saturdays.

Equally the same would apply during the flat season in reverse.

With some clever planning, I am sure that the industry can minimise the financial impact and there is no reason why the summer-jumping or AW economies could not continue to flourish. In return both sports can offer a fuller and more enjoyable experience to their fans, strengthen their own brands and potentially broaden their appeal.

Is this a good idea? (prepares to be shot down).

Last edited:
Nothing worse than watching the Irish Derby on split screen with a 3 mile chase at Fakenham showing as well!! Fully agree!!

Back